Trains Cancelled Vancouver, BC to Eugene!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Service Attendant
A family member in Portland is claiming that the trains have been cancelled between Portland and Seattle tomorrow. They said it was on the news. However, only thing I can find is that the EB is cancelled tomorrow. Anyone have any insight down there?

**I think I found it, on KPTV. They say Portland and Seattle and that Amtrak will assess it on Sunday, but I think they meant the EB between Seattle/Portland and Spokane. Hmm**

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, wonder if maybe this had something to do with what they heard.

Amtrak's Coast Starlight trains are ready to roll, after being stuck in Portland because of weather-related problems.
Cliff Cole, Amtrak spokesman, said the northbound Coast Starlight was held up around 7:40 p.m. after a switch froze at the Steel Bridge.
It seems that the problem has since been fixed though, so hopefully things are actually running today.

The full, but brief, story can be found at Oregon Live.

Well, if anyone hasn't noticed, yesterdays CS left Vancouver, WA at 730am this morning. And the turn around time is 5 hours. So they will be leaving Seattle as #11 at 245pm (Yeah, right).

Just added to the website!

Service Alert: Cascade Service, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight - BNSF Railway Closure Cancels Amtrak Trains in the Pacific Northwest

December 21, 2008

11:00 a.m. ET

BNSF Railway has informed Amtrak that normal passenger train service to and from Seattle, Wash. cannot be operated on Sunday, December 21, due to infrastructure issues and weather conditions.

Amtrak Cascades

No service for the entire route between Eugene, Ore., and Vancouver, B.C. No alternate transportation is available, due to the weather conditions.

Empire Builder

No service for the Trains 7 & 8 route segment between Seattle and Spokane, Wash. Both Trains 7/27 & 8/28 will originate and terminate in Portland, Ore., with no alternate transportation available between Seattle and Spokane. No alternate transportation available between Seattle and Portland.

Coast Starlight

Trains 11 & 14, which operate daily between Seattle and Los Angeles, will operate for the full route, subject to extreme delays.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Just added to the website!
Sorry - newbie and messed up in first attempt to post.

Shawn - where did you find that info on the Amtrak website? I could only find the first line with no details. I'm trying to get my son from Portland to Seattle. He has a ticket for tomorrow evening and I need to keep updated on the status.

thanks!

I'm scheduled on the CS on Tuesday from LAX to OKJ. Does "subject to extreme delays" mean the California section of the route will be affected, or just the EUG-SEA section? I may try and switch to a Surfliner/bus or bus/San Joaquin itinerary if it's going to be bad.

If you "click" on the Alert on the Amtrak website, it takes you to that message.

The NB CS that was due into Tacoma, WA at 7:11pm, went thru Puyallup at about 1140am this morning. With the addition of a baggage car and another either coach or sleeper on the back, couldn't see what it was.

The SB CS is scheduled to leave out of Seattle today at 245pm.

My mom is going to be on the NB CS today from Salem. Just have to see how much more time they lose, it's already 2.5 hours late.

Update: It's 9:10pm and my mom is sitting on the east side of the Steel Bridge in Portland. They also had to stop in Woodburn for CPR in progress in the Coach behind hers. Of course, she is wanting to get to PDX so she can move up to the sleeper car, which is reserved for her. hehe

Hmmm looks like this week could get really interesting for a lot of people . . . this week of all weeks!

I have a ticket to ride the Cascades from Bellingham to Vancouver, B.C. on Tuesday morning, Dec. 23rd, to go have Christmas with my boyfriend in Vancouver.

Wonder if things will get better by then? I know the service has been running late for the last week or so, I went to see what was up at the Amtrak site, been checking the status daily just to keep informed of delays, saw the cancellation notice and came over here to see what you guys have to say.

It really is unusual for us to have such cold and snowy weather here on the Washington coast and the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.

I'll be okay even if I take the train a day late on Christmas Eve, and if I do go I'lll leave way extra food for the cat, more than I normally do, in case I get stuck up there.

The Canadian boyfriend and I were going to take the train back here together on the night of Christmas Day because I have to work the next day.

Wonder how this will all work out???

Aloha

I am not surprised to see rail cancellations in the North west, What surprised me, a friend a hour ago, from North Las Vegas told me, that Thursday she had 8 inches of snow in her back yard. Her Dog had it's first romp in Snow.

Thanks, Shawn. Looks like the CS is supposed to run tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

Now I am starting to panic, we are scheduled to leave on Friday for my sons first trip to Disneyland. Albany Oregon to Anaheim trip. I hope all is clear by then.

You would be on the Coast Starlight, which is still running. Shouldn't affect you, except it might be late.

Now I am starting to panic, we are scheduled to leave on Friday for my sons first trip to Disneyland. Albany Oregon to Anaheim trip. I hope all is clear by then.

Cancelled again today!

Service Alert: Cascade Service Suspension Extended

December 22, 2008

6:00 am PT

BNSF Railway informed Amtrak this morning (December 22) it will not be able to accept Amtrak Cascades trains for their route between Eugene, Ore., and Vancouver, B.C., due to infrastructure issues related to the winter storm. Other Amtrak trains in the Pacific Northwest are operating subject to lengthy delays.

Amtrak Cascades

All trains cancelled. No alternate transportation at this time.

Empire Builder

Trains 8 & 28 are planned to originate in Portland on December 22, with alternate transportation planned from Seattle for Train 8 passengers ticketed from Seattle and intermediate points to Spokane, Wash.

Coast Starlight

Trains 11 & 14 are expected to operate over their full Seattle-Los Angeles route on December 22, subject to significant delay in the Pacific Northwest.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

I just saw that service suspension notice, no Cascades trains today, Monday, Dec 22, hope it will be running tomorrow when I plan to go to Vancouver, Canada.

Dang I feel sorry for people scrambling or stranded at this time of year! At least if I get stuck at home alone for Christmas I will be safe and warm in my apartment! Not sleeping on some floor in a train station or airport!

Hope everyone's travel plans go smoothly and that you all have a great Christmas, stay safe and warm!

if your stuck in a train station and its closing time they will kick you out. amtrak might give you a hotel if your midway through your journey and the rest is canceled due to weather with no other means of travel provided

I keep checking the Amtrak site for an update on this service cancellation, they put up a notice at 6:00 a.m. and nothing new since.

What do you guys think, you think the Cascades will be running tomorrow?

I packed and will hope for the best but I have my doubts. Just walking around is very difficult here as no one clears snow from any streets or sidewalks. People in their cars are stuck and trying to shovel out with makeshift implements like dustpans. When I went to the store this afternoon I thought, "lowered expectations" is the theme now for the duration.

There are people who have been stuck in Greyhound stations for 2 days! I hope they get where they need to go soon and that they are okay.

Maybe someone knowledgeable can explain the way things are done differently in places where they expect to get a lot of snow, as opposed to here where it is a novelty that no one is prepared for. Normally it would melt in a day, and only happen like once a year. This quantity and its persistence is very unusual. How do the railroads handle the snow and ice in other places? What kind of equipment and systems are we missing out here on the Northwest Coast? I mean I know we are missing snowplows, I am from Minnesota where these things are handled in a very competitive manner, like a serious sport. I know how they do road stuff. But I don't know anything about how they go about removing snow and ice from switches where it is routine.

Here's the latest update from the Amtrak web site, looks like tomorrow is a go, I am ready and hope for the best, good luck to the rest of the travelers here too:

Service Alert: Amtrak Cascades Service Restoration Plan

December 22, 2008

9:00 pm PT

Amtrak plans to operate most Amtrak Cascades trains for their route between Eugene, Ore., and Vancouver, B.C., on December 23, following consultation with BNSF Railway.

Passengers should watch for their trains to be operating from different platforms than usual, particularly at unstaffed stations.

The other exceptions to normal operations include Train 513, which will originate in Seattle, rather than Bellingham, Wash., with alternate transportation provided from Bellingham by chartered motorcoaches. Also, Train 504 is canceled from Eugene to Portland, with alternate transportation provided for the route by chartered motorcoaches.

In places where RR's expect lots of snow, typically there are switch heaters. There are several types from those that use natural gas that is ignited and burns multiple individual flames along the length of the switch (looks very neat at night with all the little blue flames flickering) to hot air being pumped into the switch area, to crews just shoveling things out.

Good luck on your trip Cascadia. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back