TRAINS March Issue

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
For non-subscribers, buy, beg, borrow or steal this issue. Heavy on Amtrak. Cover story is "How to fix Amtrak," and there's a nifty feature on the history of the California Zephyr.

A bonus in my view is an article about being a gripman on San Francisco's cable cars. Only about the California Street line, which is the easy one - no curves - but still informative.

For non-subscribers, buy, beg, borrow or steal this issue. Heavy on Amtrak. Cover story is "How to fix Amtrak," and there's a nifty feature on the history of the California Zephyr.
A bonus in my view is an article about being a gripman on San Francisco's cable cars. Only about the California Street line, which is the easy one - no curves - but still informative.
When did you get it? My mail hadn't come before I left the house this afternoon. I'm on my way home shortly and will see if it's made it here yet.

Looking forward to it!!

I have not received the March issue yet, but I strongly suspect the Amtrak article is written by Bob Johnson, Mr. Johnson is the one and only Trains writer who writes on Amtrak, and he is an unabashed cheerleader. He is entitled to his opinion, and Trains is entitled to publish his opinion, but it would be nice if Trains would offer another writer a shot at an Amtrak article: maybe someone who might have a different viewpoint.

I'll read the article and see what it says. Maybe I'll be surprised. Probably not.

Is this still the "newstand issue"? Appropriately enough, the books&news store at 30th St carries a full array of railroad magazines in addition to the standard "full-price travel paperbacks" and "overpriced kitsch" :)

Of course, my dad's been a subscriber to Trains since the 1960s (and I think still has every issue), but I'm sure I'll want my own issue of this one. Heck, I'd probably be happy to have my own subscription at this point.

I strongly suspect the Amtrak article is written by Bob Johnson
The CZ history story is indeed by Bob Johnston (with a T), but "Trains' formula for fixing Amtrak" is by Rush Loving, Jr., who is described as "the author of the book 'The Men Who Loved Trains.' A former associate editor of FORTUNE magazine, he served as chief spokesman for the Office of Management and Budget in the Carter White House and has been a consultant to numerous transportation companies."

Regarding subscriptions, don't recall what I paid for my first 3-year gig, but last re-upped at a discount - 'bout a hundred bucks for the next three. Current sub runs through July 2010, so I expect to start receiving renewal exhortations fairly soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CZ history story is indeed by Bob Johnston (with a T), but "Trains' formula for fixing Amtrak" is by Rush Loving, Jr., who is described as "the author of the book 'The Men Who Loved Trains.' A former associate editor of FORTUNE magazine, he served as chief spokesman for the Office of Management and Budget in the Carter White House and has been a consultant to numerous transportation companies."

Regarding subscriptions, don't recall what I paid for my first 3-year gig, but last re-upped at a discount - 'bout a hundred bucks for the next three. Current sub runs through July 2010, so I expect to start receiving renewal exhortations fairly soon.
And, right you are! I got home, Trains was there, and was shocked to see that Bob Johnson was not the author. Rush Loving (whew, there's a name that must have been a problem in high school and college). A member of the Carter administration. Interesting choice to write an article about how to save Amtrak: a member of the Carter Administration.

Presidents for $200, Alex.

His DOT cancelled more Amtrak trains than any other.

Who is Jimmy Carter?

How much is the subscription?
I think it's something like $35 for 1 year, $65 for 2 years or $114 for 3 years. It's available through the Points for Shopping at magazines.com - and you will get 16 points/$! :D
Good call! I had let my subscription lapse two months ago and just hadn't gotten around to renewing. I'm glad I waited - because I was prepared to subscribe directly through Trains.com. Instead I have 687 AGR points!

And, right you are! I got home, Trains was there, and was shocked to see that Bob Johnson was not the author. Rush Loving (whew, there's a name that must have been a problem in high school and college). A member of the Carter administration. Interesting choice to write an article about how to save Amtrak: a member of the Carter Administration.

Presidents for $200, Alex.

His DOT cancelled more Amtrak trains than any other.

Who is Jimmy Carter?
I respect Bob Johnson a lot more than Rush Loving jr!!! :ph34r: :blink: :huh:

Bob Johnson Amtrak pieces are well written and i respect his opinion.Typical Trains to do this with who??? Rush Loving jr???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back