TRAINS March Issue

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently nobody respects Bob JohnsTon enough to spell his name right in posts; a basic unit of respect.

"My name is John Smith."

"We'll just call you Fred Flamm. Less confusing that way."

"But my name is John Smith."

"If you don't pipe down we'll call you Bruce."

"Oh, alright."

"Welcome, Bruce!"

"You said you would call me Fred."

"Don't quibble."

I feel compelled to jump in.

There's a simple way to "fix Amtrak": insist that all intercity passenger trains run on time. In doing this, you demonstrate where the choke points are in the American railroad network.

The railroads that want to run 10,000 ton land barges will hate you for suggesting this. OTOH, it's a concept that most of the American public -- and more importantly, their elected representatives -- understand.

I feel compelled to jump in.
There's a simple way to "fix Amtrak": insist that all intercity passenger trains run on time. In doing this, you demonstrate where the choke points are in the American railroad network.

The railroads that want to run 10,000 ton land barges will hate you for suggesting this. OTOH, it's a concept that most of the American public -- and more importantly, their elected representatives -- understand.
Sam;

Good to see your post. The last UP train I took over the Huey P. Long bridge in New Orleans was 17,000 tons and I don't think they've slacked off since then. Thank goodness for manual pushers!!!

Went to Barnes and Noble yeserday and they have Trains Magazine but it had Abe Lincoln on the cover and it was Feburary's issue, is the one about Amtrak March issue? Thanks!

Al

the lincoln issue was the one before the amtrak one, but none the less a great read on lincoln and a good magazine. im on my second year of subscribing and havent been dissapointed, was thrilled to see the amtrak issue show up just 2 weeks before my first amtrak trip in real life.

Tried to call 2 AU members yesterday but to no avail. Just happened to have both our cellphones (Brenda and I) and both AU members didn't pick up. I hardly ever call anyone but really would've liked to figure out what issue instead of going home and posting. No biggee though! Can we get Trans Magazine from Magazines.Com on AGR Mall?

Al

Have been looking forward to the article but I still haven't received it! Thought my subscription had possibly expired, but I just received a renewal request letter from them saying that my last issue will be the June one. (Somebody remind me before them to subscribe through the proper portal to receive the bonus AGR points!)

I'm beginning to think maybe I should notify Trains that I didn't receive it and have them resend it.

I'm beginning to think maybe I should notify Trains that I didn't receive it and have them resend it.
Did that once, and ended up with two copies. The resend arrived first in an envelope, then the original arrived a couple days later. I think I overreacted cuz I was so used to issues arriving on the last weekend of the month, like clockwork.

I like the idea of 16pts/$, but instead of paying $42 for 12 issues I'd rather pay $30 for 12 issues at Magazines online and you can pay with Paypal in case something goes wrong.

Well I just picked up my March issue of Trains Magazine and I couldn't be happier. In a small strip mall by my house picking up a prescription at my locally owned pharmacy when I looked over and saw "The Train Cellar" (which I have delivered to but I'm not into model railroading) and thought maybe he would carry magazines on trains. Lo and behold he had Trains Magazine and he's locally owned as well. Nice article!

Well I just picked up my March issue of Trains Magazine and I couldn't be happier. In a small strip mall by my house picking up a prescription at my locally owned pharmacy when I looked over and saw "The Train Cellar" (which I have delivered to but I'm not into model railroading) and thought maybe he would carry magazines on trains. Lo and behold he had Trains Magazine and he's locally owned as well. Nice article!
Alright Al!!

Yeah, model railroading's not my cup of tea either, but I respect those who are into it; just prefer the real thing.

Did that once, and ended up with two copies. The resend arrived first in an envelope, then the original arrived a couple days later. I think I overreacted cuz I was so used to issues arriving on the last weekend of the month, like clockwork.
I received an email back yesterday saying that my new issue would be delivered within 7-10 business days. Waiting on pins and needles...

For non-subscribers, buy, beg, borrow or steal this issue. Heavy on Amtrak. Cover story is "How to fix Amtrak," and there's a nifty feature on the history of the California Zephyr.
A bonus in my view is an article about being a gripman on San Francisco's cable cars. Only about the California Street line, which is the easy one - no curves - but still informative.
I went to the bookstore yesterday and bought the last copy. I was going to subscribe on line until I saw the card in the magazine. The card is about 50% less than subscribing directly on line, plus I get a bonus item too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back