Trash Along The Tracks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan,
Patently offensive? To who? Would you also think, if I had posted, that men were the stronger of the spicies, that was also patently offensive? I'm sorry if I offended your sensitivities. That wasn't my intention. However, I do believe there are differences between men and women. Maurice Chev (sp) said it best "Viva la difference".

The "bikini shots" comment, I vaguely remember. I just tried to search but couldn't bring it up. Are you sure it wasn't an attempt at humor.

Lighten up, Ryan. I'm pretty confident most riders here would like a cleaner, prettier trip. It doesn't just happen.
It's flat out sexism, that's why. Saying that women are cleaner than men or men are naturally messly is exactly the same thing as saying something like women are bad drivers. It is a sterotype, not sexual dimorphism.
And you clearly never met my ex-wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trash along the tracks per se…….but I remember my first trip into the US northeast on Amtrak’s Montrealer back in the ‘70s. When I woke in the morning we were crawling along a slow-order plagued Boston & Maine RR north of Springfield and I watched as we crossed once busy mainlines now disappearing into the weeds. You could see the tops of rusty signal masts and gantrys almost lost among the alders growing up through the ties, boarded up interlocking towers and stations and cars sitting on sidings that hadn’t turned a wheel in months. Then it was onto New Jersey where the views were much the same from PC, CNJ and EL commuter trains.

It might have been clutter and junk to some but I found the all but abandoned right-of-ways and infrastructure fascinating.

Is that Maurice Chev supposed to be Maurice Chevalier as in the movie "Gigi" of the "Thanks heavens for little girls, they grow up every day, Thank heavens for little girls they grow up in the most delightful way" fame? :)

"Those little eyes so helpless in a feeling, Once they be flashing sending crashing through the ceiling....

Thank heavens for them all no matter where no matter who, Without them what would little boys do?" :p

I guess my age is showing :)

I think it may be very prudent for me to duck right about now :hi:

I actually like the "trash" in a particular way. To me, it is akin to the "archeology" of the area we're passing thru at the time. The type of "trash" tells me something about the type of people who live there.

It adds interest to the otherwise simple brush and weeds visible outside the window.

I'm pretty confident most riders here would like a cleaner, prettier trip. It doesn't just happen.
When I fly, I would like a cleaner, prettier trip too. Please tell me who to contact to get rid of all those clouds that obstruct my view, the smoke from the wildfires and volcanos, the messy yards you can see as the jet approaches the airport, etc... - I think you would have as much luck to eliminate these than writing a letter to Joe Boardman to get a cleaner, prettier train trip!

I'd prefer they master the challenge of maintaining clean restrooms inside the train before worrying about cleaning up trash outside.

I would suspect that on the railroad itself most people in management, operations, maintenance, and anything else would like cleaner right of ways as well. It is just that this is below the bottom of the list of things that they the time and money to get to. In years past they did keep their right of ways clean, but that ended with the start of the depresson.
Whenever there are pressing items chasing after limited resources, those that have minimal return on investment usually fall below the cut line. This is no different.

As for passengers being bothered by the crap along the track, I am told that relatively few passengers actually bother to look out the window for too long when they are traveling by train. I don;t believe it applies to me, but apparently there are survey results to back up that claim. And it could be true, considering how many people sit down by the window, and on a BC or Amfleet II car the first thing they do is pull the curtain shut and then bury their head in a book or an iPad, or simply dose off.

So I am not even sure that trash along the tracks is a item high on the list of concerns of an average rider, to bother them enough to do anything about it.
I thnk it could also be said that most of the passengers that do look out the window are usually looking at things more distant than the side of the track to the right of way line zone.

Ryan,
Patently offensive? To who? Would you also think, if I had posted, that men were the stronger of the spicies, that was also patently offensive? I'm sorry if I offended your sensitivities. That wasn't my intention. However, I do believe there are differences between men and women. Maurice Chev (sp) said it best "Viva la difference".

The "bikini shots" comment, I vaguely remember. I just tried to search but couldn't bring it up. Are you sure it wasn't an attempt at humor.

Lighten up, Ryan. I'm pretty confident most riders here would like a cleaner, prettier trip. It doesn't just happen.
I actually remember the bikini shots comment - I don't have time to search right now but will later. I almost called it out at the time.

Sure, some men are physically stronger than women. But there are lots of women out there that could beat a man at a test of strength, and to say that "men are the stronger of the species" is a loaded statement that generally refers to many more things that just physical strength.

Wake up, its 2012, not 1912. 2013, not 1913. We can even vote now, too! :eek:

BillTheBarn has a good point, we all "wish" people wouldn't be so inconsiderate, and dump trash, cars, garbage, (sometimes bodies) housing material, etc., etc. along the nation's RR ROW, but they do.

The private RR could do a "little" bit, but it would require intense cooperation with thousands of state and local municipalities, and, as many have said, "that's just not gonna happen...."

It always bothered me too, that the ROW on some otherwise really scenic routes, seemed "junked up" every now and then. I also agree with another poster about the "archaeological" aspect of some of it, it's just the way people live..

The most blatant I ever witnessed was going thru the shanty-towns and slums into Mexico City by rail, on the old "Aztec Eagle" (?) I think. Talk about a "National Geographic moment" right outside the train window........ The train was literally crawling thru the dump and slums. What a sight (sad) to witness.

http://www.hardrainproject.com/hrpl?n=7652 Except when I saw this dump (or one similar) in 1982 or 83, there were only mules and pushcarts, no automobiles...

One bright spot is tourist railroads. When we ran the KLS&C Dinner Trains and Scenic Trains outa Paw Paw, MI in the late-80's we often would send a work train down the tracks to:

• Spray over obscene graffiti remarks
  • Pick up trash along ROW
  • Cut down scrub weeds/trees to afford a better view of lake/river/something
I'd be surprised is some well-run short-lines/tourist operators don't do the same today, I'm betting RJ Corman does something like this, at least along the route of My Old Kentucky Dinner Train, right Swadian?

I actually remember the bikini shots comment - I don't have time to search right now but will later. I almost called it out at the time.
My guess it was post #11, which is hidden, in this thread. Apparently it was offensive to one or more members to have been hidden.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/56114-2nd-trip-through-poland-lublin-to-midzyzdrojegoleniw/&do=findComment&comment=458903
Was post # 15, didn't seem hidden to me, and it wasn't really THAT offensive, as it had an "LOL" at the end, but then again, I'm not a woman, nor am offended by much, however, I AM offensive, right Swadian?

My guess it was post #11, which is hidden, in this thread. Apparently it was offensive to one or more members to have been hidden.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/56114-2nd-trip-through-poland-lublin-to-midzyzdrojegoleniw/&do=findComment&comment=458903
Was post # 15, didn't seem hidden to me, and it wasn't really THAT offensive, as it had an "LOL" at the end, but then again, I'm not a woman, nor am offended by much, however, I AM offensive, right Swadian?
Yeah, I found it after I scrolled down a bit more in the thread. Post #11 is "missing" though, which is why I thought it might have been that post. I edited my post.

I don't think the "LOL" really helps his cause, and may even add to the offensiveness of the post. I do not get bothered easily by others remarks even if they are out of line.

You are soooooooooo asking for someone to just post Dave, sooooooooo asking for it. Are you trying to bait me? Bait? Wait, that's fishing....Fishing is in the water. Beaches have water..........muhahahahaha

Best way is probably to grow local support from residents and government officials to pressure the railroad to clean the area up. Trying to get a nationwide push probably will not work.

A different issue, but at one time, Amtrak had cut down many trees along the ROW in Woodside, NY, but were met with outcry and they ended up replanting the area; PDF

He'd have to also write a letter to himself. The NEC RW is as big a trash dump as any of the other railroads.
Yesterday morning on my way to RVR I carefully looked for what areas were the biggest offenders as far as trash on the NEC South ROW goes. It turns out at present it is mostly a Pennsylvania phenomenon, with the City of Brotherly Love the worst offender. It looks like Amtrak has done a tremendous job of cleaning up its ROW in NJ which used to be the previous lead offender. As I recall Amtrak did clean up the Pennsylvania segment too, but the Brotherly folks came back with a vengeance and restored status quo ante.

The worst segment at present appears to be between Phil interlocking just around where the SEPTA Airport Line takes off and Baldwin interlocking near Eddystone.

Usually tracks in cuts are more liable to collect trach than those on embankments or elevated structures. This may have something to do with the situation in Pennsylvania. Though similar structures in Maryland around Winans is at present quite clean, and the area around West Baltimore is also relatively clean. For how long, who knows?

One thing that Amtrak has done well off late is clearing out railroad scrap from its ROW. IMHO the ROW in NJ looks cleaner and better fenced than it has ever looked in the 35 odd years that I have traveled on it pretty regularly several times a year or more. This all came about as the result of an ARRA grant I believe. There is a bit around Trenton between Ham and Fair interlockings which needs a little more attention, specially around Barracks Yard. I suspect that will get some attention in course of the New Brunswick - Trenton higher speed track and catenary upgrade project over the next couple of years.

A different issue, but at one time, Amtrak had cut down many trees along the ROW in Woodside, NY, but were met with outcry and they ended up replanting the area; PDF
The replanting was done further removed from the track uniformly. On the whole they did a good job of landscaping the area too. It was a win win. Amtrak got the trees out of its catenary and the community got a better maintained line of trees.
Amtrak has done a huge amount of tree and shrub clearing from its ROW in NJ, part of the reason the ROW looks as clean as it does of late. In many places they have cleared out all trees all the way to the property line of the ROW, somewhat like the power companies do with theirs.

Weighing in late here, but I wonder how much of what one sees is trash (ie, refuse, litter, garbage, ie, the ROW is being used as a junkyard/garbage dump); vs. being used as an area of storage of convenience? Yes one does see rail bed/rail building materials along the routes (I'm thinking specifically along the CZ), but my impression is that a lot is material to be used, and some is old material being retired. ... When I road the CZ last May I noticed quite a bit - but importantly, noticed things in specific locations - which when I road the CZ two weeks ago, had changed, had disappeared. The rails that had been substituted out over Donner Summit, that were laying along the bed in May, are gone; the old ties that were littering the double horseshoe bend coming into Denver, were gone this time etc. My impression is that most of what one sees is simply material to be used or old material about to be recycled - and instead of paying some added cost of immediately removing the old or only importing the new JIT, they're using the ROW as short-term storage to keep costs down. ... so: yep, not "pretty" to look at; but I'd rather see the costs being kept down/under control, vs, keeping them "pretty."

When I use the term trash, I mean things like used tires, refrigerators, shopping carts and mountains of paper and garbage, and an occasional complete junked automobile(!) and not track parts, ties and rails and such. The latter are fine as far as I am concerned.

It should be mentioned though, even when track part are involved, things look much better when they are organized into nice clumps of them rather than randomly strewn hither and yon. Amtrak has made considerable improvement in that department too of late.

I think the urban areas are probably the worst. The worst area I remember is north of NYP, there is a cut that both sides were just littered with trash including mattresses, refrigerators, TV's, garbage bags, etc. It looked more like we were going through a landfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back