Travel Protection Insurance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chey

Lead Service Attendant
Whenever I buy my ticket online I'm offered this travel protection deal. I always reject it because I've never had any of the problems associated with what it covers. But I wonder if anyone here has ever bought it and ended up having to use it?

Waste of money! If you cancel before the train leaves you'll get a voucher or a refund less 10% if not canceled during the required time frame!

If its Amtrak's fault you'll get a refund or voucher for the full amount!

Yeah, cancellations weren't even a consideration, I've gotten and used lots of evouchers and it's never been a problem. I was thinking about the lost luggage thing - I check my luggage whenever possible because it's easier for me not to have to carry them around. I've never had a problem with that either but I was wondering if anyone had ever had their luggage lost doing that. It might be worth it in that case but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's luggage being lost.

I hadn't thought of that - the AGR MasterCard is from Chase!

What about missed connections and having to get a hotel for the night?
If it's a legal connection and you booked the entire journey on the same reservation, wouldn't that be Amtrak's responsibility?

Connecting Trains

Amtrak does not normally guarantee connections of less than 60 minutes (90 minutes between arriving long-distance trains and local trains in the Northeast Corridor). Please call Amtrak 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or your travel agent if your planned itinerary includes a shorter connection. A guaranteed connection does not ensure that such a connection will always be made. In the case of a missed guaranteed connection, Amtrak will provide alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's discretion.

I never buy it. Between Amtrak's guarantees and my Chase protection (I have the AGR card), I don't need it.

I guess things have changed over the years Amtrak has been around. Now with cell phones, you can indeed call Amtrak to cancel your reservation, before the train leaves your station, even if you are sitting in a massive traffic jam enroute to the station.

Though, if you are in an accident on your way to the station (and isn't travel insurance suppose to cover unexpected accidents?), the paramedic might not realize they need to call Amtrak on your behalf, instead attempting to resuscitate you.

I bought that travel insurance once and something happened and they refused to pay out. The airline involved wasn't terribly helpful but they actually offered to do more than the "insurance" provider did. Worthless.

If you are worried about travel plans changing, buy refundable tickets. That's what government and business do.

Yeah, cancellations weren't even a consideration, I've gotten and used lots of evouchers and it's never been a problem. I was thinking about the lost luggage thing - I check my luggage whenever possible because it's easier for me not to have to carry them around. I've never had a problem with that either but I was wondering if anyone had ever had their luggage lost doing that. It might be worth it in that case but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's luggage being lost.
Collecting from one of those companies for lost luggage? HAH!

You have to list each item, what it cost and when you bought it. Try remembering everything.

Everything is depreciated. What's used clothing worth?

Try remembering what you paid for your bag and when you bought it. Unless it was recently, not likely.

Then they want all sorts of paperwork - proof you checked it, signed statements that it was lost, probably statements from Amtrak that they did not return it.

Then months later you get a check for a lot less than you expected. After reading the fine print in the contract, you find you have to sue them in person in Outer Mongolia or pay half the cost of the arbitrator. Arbitration is a fraud anyway as the insurance company knows all the arbitrators in the arbitration company that favor them and you have no idea which one to pick.

We were stuck in Anaheim, CA a couple of years ago because they canceled the SW Chief coming back to Kansas City. We were just sitting in the station all day long and then they said they would put us up in a hotel overnight (and they DID!).

Mentioning arbitration...

I was at a storage place one time and there was an optional arbitration clause. I had a bit of fun asking about it; the guy said he didn't know why anyone would pass on it, mentioning that lawsuits are a hassle and so forth and why would I want the hassle of hiring a lawyer. I proceeded to introduce him to my attorney...who was standing right there with me the whole time (we've been friends for over a decade).

I never ever buy the travel insurance offered at reservation. Like others have said, there's so much fine print.

I have had a good experience once with the included collision insurance with a credit card -- I had no primary insurance (don't own a car). Was US Bank no-fee card and they paid the 2800 damage with only reasonable documentation.

I believe that the "insurance" offered by carriers at reservation time is mostly usesless.

Look at what your credit card covers, if you need more coverage, talk to your homeowners or renters insurance agent. Probably, the "insurance" that is offered by the carrier is secondary to your homeowners and credit card insurance, and is unlikely to pay much, even in the unlikely event that your trip is delayed or your baggage gets lost.

It ain't worth it.

There's a big difference between most travel insurance and international travel insurance. It's sometimes worth buying international travel insurance -- go to an actual insurance agent. This is because you'd be amazed how many exclusions your standard insurance policies have for international travel: you may not be covered for *anything* abroad, whether it's medical, car crashes, etc. For domestic travel, the "travel insurance" offered by airlines and Amtrak seems to be exactly like everyone else says it is, not worth much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back