traveling on the Amtrak in the Snow

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Who likes traveling on the Amtrak in the snow? Leaving for NJ next week and wondering what the experience would be like on Amtrak in the snow. I love rain but have never been on the train in the rain and would think that would be an awesome experience. So tell me about it-rain or snow. Is it a cozy feeling or is it just beautiful. We will be on the Crescent from NO.

I travel the Empire Builder (8 or 7) every winter between Montana and Wisconsin and there's usually plenty of snow. It cheers up the winter landscape IMHO. But drifting snow can also wreck havoc with trains just as it does with airlines and roads.

One year the eastbound EB (8) got stuck in a 12 foot deep snow drift in North Dakota somewhere between Williston and Stanley. The engineer was able to free the train and he backed up the consist to Williston. That took over a hour. Then we sat at Williston for many hours until BNSF cleared the tracks. The EB then continued eastbound but only as far as Minot. We arrived in Minot about 12 hours late. High winds and severe cold further east caused drifting snow to block the tracks and no train, bus, auto or airline traffic was running. Amtrak terminated the train in Minot and put all the passengers up in a motel. The train then turned around and became train 7 heading back to the west coast. The passengers spent the day in the motel while the storm abated and BNSF cleared the tracks. I had a nice hot shower and breakfast in the hotel. Lunch was up to me at a nearby restaurant. Westbound train 8 arrived in Minot just a few minutes late. All the passengers from the stuck train boarded that evening and joined those already on that train. We continued on to our destinations. Some passengers had to forego sleeping accommodations because there wasn't enough room on the train. The coaches were pretty full as well. But everyone was well cared for and safe.

I had planned to detain in Milwaukee. But because of the 24 hour delay I jumped ship in MSP and made my way into Wisconsin with friends.

A Montanan who enjoys trail travel.

It's cozy and beautiful. I especially like it around Christmas since so many towns and houses have light displays. Some people decorate their backyard so people on the train can see it. :)

It's fun watching the snow fly past the windows too.

It's cozy and beautiful. I especially like it around Christmas since so many towns and houses have light displays. Some people decorate their backyard so people on the train can see it. :)

Like the new picture SarahZ- my little grandbaby is so looking forward to this trip. He is probably going to talk my ears off. Wondering if we might be able to take him for a tour of coach,we are gonna be in a sleeper but I would like him to see the whole train. I'm so excited for him. Just hope after 30 hours he won't say I don't want to do this again. We got movies, snacks,books and Benadryl if needed. lol

I just had the experience earlier this month when we were returning from New Orleans on the Crescent. It was fresh snow that we started seeing around Chalottesville, VA and you can tell the snow depth increased as we moved north. By time we got to Washington there was a good layer of snow that was very powdery. As we moved along you saw all the blowing snow outside your window blowing up as the train went by.

Also, apparently the baggage car door doesn't close tight and when our luggage came up to the station in Baltimore, the bags were covered in snow.

At least Amtrak put the passengers up in a motel. Airline passengers seem to have to stay in the airport when they are cancelled.
It depends. If you miss a connection, then yes. If it isn't a connection, then no.

Like the new picture SarahZ- my little grandbaby is so looking forward to this trip. He is probably going to talk my ears off. Wondering if we might be able to take him for a tour of coach,we are gonna be in a sleeper but I would like him to see the whole train. I'm so excited for him. Just hope after 30 hours he won't say I don't want to do this again. We got movies, snacks,books and Benadryl if needed. lol
Thank you!

You can probably wander around coach; you just can't sit there and hang out (although, some car attendants will let you if it isn't that full). Just check with the coach attendant.

Being a "Southern Boy", I hadnt seen any real amount of snow ubtil I took an Amtrack Winter Trip in Feb,2011! I flew from Florida to Albuquerque & took the #5,#14,#8"30 & #97 back home. Man, did I see SNOW!!!! I think that is my most favorite trip, so far!!!

Have Fun

RF

Last edited by a moderator:

This is absolutely true! The decorations in the countryside are a wonderful sight to see!

In February of last year, I traveled through the Rockies and the Cascades and there was nothing better than seeing snow out the window of the warm train. The majestic mountains covered in snow and looking out the windows at mother nature's beauty is breath taking.

We actually got snow blind at one point in the lower level going through the cascades and we had to close our curtains for a few minutes. All we saw was white. it was everyone in the car, not just me. Really cool.

Who likes traveling on the Amtrak in the snow? Leaving for NJ next week and wondering what the experience would be like on Amtrak in the snow. I love rain but have never been on the train in the rain and would think that would be an awesome experience. So tell me about it-rain or snow. Is it a cozy feeling or is it just beautiful. We will be on the Crescent from NO.
Have ridden the CZ many times on snow-covered ROWs in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California. The biggest experience I have observed is how quiet the train rides on tracks with a good snow cover.

Being a "Southern Boy", I hadnt seen any real amount of snow ubtil I took an Amtrack Winter Trip in Feb,2011! I flew from Florida to Albuquerque & took the #5,#14,#8"30 & #97 back home. Man, did I see SNOW!!!! I think that is my most favorite trip, so far!!!

Have Fun

RF
Ha, ha, that's the trip we met you on! And you told us about this forum...

Hubby and I also love train travel in the snow. Delays are the exception. Most of the time, the snow has been on the ground a while, and the trains go right through on time (or nearly so). I would always rather be on a warm train, even if delayed, than out there trying to drive through a storm or (worse yet) in a crowded airport trying to rebook a canceled flight.

One suggestion: bring clothes to dress in "layers", as some cars can be warmer and some cooler. There are temperature adjustments in the roomettes, but often they are very slow to take effect. I always bring one extra layer to the dining car with me, just in case it's cooler than my sleeper.

On the SWC on Christmas Eve, there was a family in my sleeper car with lights around their room just like Trainman's Daughter posted. It was beautiful! They had young children, and it was festive for all of us, in addition to the family who displayed them. This was my first LD trip in the winter, and with it being Christmas Eve/arrival in RIV on Christmas Day - it was really special. The dining staff wore Santa hats, and we were treated to "turkey and dressing" in the dining car for Christmas Eve dinner. They all laughed when I asked for the Turkey dinner minus the turkey [vegetarian!]. I enjoyed seeing the snow along the route, and the Raton and Glorieta Passes were awesome with snow abounding on the ground... It never actually snowed as we traveled but still beautiful. Over the summer of 2013, took the EB to and from Spokane, WA and on the way back, we encountered a HUGE thunderstorm in Montana. I've never seen clouds like this, and the rain just pelted the windows relentlessly. The double rainbow that emerged afterwards was worth all the tension, though. Just incredible! Travel the midwest, and I guarantee that you will more than likely see some rain/precipitation at some stage, especially if you are on a long distance train. Enjoy.

On the SWC on Christmas Eve, there was a family in my sleeper car with lights around their room just like Trainman's Daughter posted. It was beautiful! They had young children, and it was festive for all of us, in addition to the family who displayed them.
That was a picture of my granddaughter's and my room on the CZ last month. We also hung a string of lights in our window. It was so much fun to hear the comments of fellow passengers walking down the hall and see the faces of people on the platform at the stations we stopped at. It was such a simple gesture, yet it made so many people smile.

Awesome! Christmas Eve or day on a train is something quite special!!!

Riding the train in the winter is very relaxing, sometimes more relaxing than summer travel. The scenery is quite beautiful, but the train rides much quieter in the snow. One can hardly hear the wheels on the rails when the roadbed is covered by snow.

Trainman's Daughter:

Thank you for the great picture of your recently decorated Viewliner room. I sent one of your pictures from another thread to several friends who really liked the colors and especially the creativity. Of course your pictures piqued some curiosities and I am sure a few of my friends looked at the Viewliner information on Amtrak.com ! Afterward, I retrieved questions such as, "does it have a wet bar, or a hot tub, or adjoining rooms with other partiers, and how many people can you fit into that roomette," etc,,,

My better half who has joined me on excursions from Chicago to New York and to Florida on the Viewliner, loved the lights and wondered out loud "why I didn't provide a cool "disco" atmosphere for her on our trips..." LOL!

Actually, you have started a trend in roomette decor. All Amtrak supporters should follow your lead and decorate their rooms to create attention on YouTube and in social media. There could be a competition between Viewliner people and Superliner riders.

Have a great new year and pleasant travels!

7Deuceman

Wow you guys-loving all the comments.I do like on this forum that no question is too crazy,silly or just plain stupid, that there is no input from y'all. Thanks so much. Train people are so cool!!!

Here's a link to an advertisement for the Perch Express. This is a resort in North Dakota that promotes Amtrak travel to their resort for winter Perch fishing on Devils Lake. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a nice photo of the Empire Builder traveling through the snows of North Dakota.

http://www.woodlandresort.com/?page_id=172&utm_source=Perch+Express&utm_campaign=All+Aboard+Perch+Express&utm_medium=email

A Montanan who enjoys trail travel.
Unfortunately, this year's problems with the Empire Builder have caused another North Dakota resort to have second thoughts about partnering with Amtrak. From their January 19th Fishing Report:

What a crazy week it was. First of all, we would like to offer our sincere apologies for the lack of service that Amtrak has given us this past week. We had customers that couldn't make it here because of a train derailment on the line that Amtrak runs on. We can understand a derailment from another train can cause problems. BUT, in our 19 year history, we have never experienced the problems we have had to endure with getting our Perch Express customers here on time or in some cases here on the same day. Things must get better with the train or we are going to have to explore other options. Sad to see but enough trips have been ruined because of the train. We do not know all the reasons why they are having so much trouble but we are exploring them and desperately want answers. We will keep you posted when we find out more information.
Weekly Fishing Report 1/19/14

When I was in college I took the Empire Builder from Chicago to Minot every Christmas. I'd wake up in the morning and look out a the bleak winter North Dakota landscape. Stubble fields and drifting snow to the uttermost horizon. An absolutely dead landscape, with nothing moving except the blowing snow. This always made me think happily, "Gosh, I'm almost home!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back