Traveling with Streets & Trips and GPS Receiver

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longford

Train Attendant
My recently-completed trip on the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle was in the planning stage for more than 5-months and one of the gadgets I purchased to bring along was Microsoft Street & Trips software for my laptop computer, with a GPS receiver.

The only prior experience I've had with a GPS device is with what's included as part of my iPhone and my test of the software at home resulted in inaccurate position identification. I wanted to be able to track my trip progress, to know where I was, what I was approaching and to have a heads up before arriving at do not miss sights along the trip route.

The GPS receiver comes with a suction cup which I attached to my roomette window and then plugged-into my laptop. The laptop and software was kept on continuously except when I was sleeping, overnight.

My pre-trip expectations for the software/receiver were exceeded - I can't imagine taking a long-distance rail trip in the future without it. The receiver was bouncing signals back and forth to 8 > 10 satellites and the train's position was tracked exactly, best I could tell. Information provided included, also, the time of day, the altitude level and the speed at which we were traveling. I had the level of comfort that I knew where we were, what we were passing and/or passing through, how long it would be before we arrived at certain points for which I would prepare my cameras (and myself) to jump off/jump on the train at short and long stops. No more "Where are we?" questions or uncertainty.

Technology doesn't always work the way we expect, especially when it comes to mobile devices. Neither my laptop nor the Streets & Trips/GPS let me down and that software package was a major contributor to my overall enjoyment riding the Empire Builder.

I totally agree with your feelings about traveling with a computer connected GPS, but I use different brand software & hardware.

I just returned from a round trip from STL to ORL (and onto Sarasota by car) with my netbook running DeLorme's Topo 7 and a bluetooth GPS receiver in my pocket.

It worked GREAT and added another dimension to the trip - I won't travel without it!!

I use the same software/hardware as the OP. I cannot image not having it on the train. I have even had our sleeper attendant coming in to check on where we were.

I have a DeLorme LT-20, and agree fully with all the above. Only difference between me and the OP - I kept my netbook running all night! :) (I have a cat at home, and she doesn't take up any more room on my bed than the netbook! :D ) If the light bothers you, the cover can be closed somewhat (put a blanket or something in between the cover and keyboard) or you can turn the netbook away from you. This way, if you wake up at 4 AM, your answer to "Where am I?" can be answered easily and quickly! :D

Technology doesn't always work the way we expect, especially when it comes to mobile devices.
It really depends on the technology you are using, and that includes mobile devices.

I know that AT&T tends to locate phones by attempting to triangulate on the phone by using three towers. I am not sure if the iPhone always uses its built-in GPS chip, or under the right circumstances, falls back to triangulation. If you are getting inacurate locations, I would bet is using triangulation.

With Verizon, it is always GPS. Either aGPS where the phone receives the satellite signals, then passes the raw data onto a tower to do the number crunching, and tower sends the results back. Or the higher end phones do the number crunching right in the phone.

In playing with Google Maps on my Verizon Touch Pro, I can have it display a satellite pic of my home, and on it, it superimpose a dot denoting my location. It is kind-of scary to have the dot exactly where my easy chair is located when I am sitting there playing with my phone, and then have the dot correctly follow me around the house. as I walk around.

I also have used Streets and Trips, works well. I'd like to get a netbook next time instead of lugging around my 15" Dell with a huge battery. I want to look at Delorme too.

I also have used Streets and Trips, works well. I'd like to get a netbook next time instead of lugging around my 15" Dell with a huge battery. I want to look at Delorme too.
If you are considering netbook, I LOVE my Asus 1000HE - the netbook with the most bang for the buck - check it out on Amazon and/or ebay

If you are considering netbook, I LOVE my Asus 1000HE - the netbook with the most bang for the buck - check it out on Amazon and/or ebay
Actually had a Aspire One in mind. I've looked at both.

I too have the Aspire One, and love it! I can do almost everything with it that a "regular" laptop can do - except that it doesn't have a DVD/CD drive. But for <$300 and ~2 pounds - I can live with it for travel! (If I need a CD drive - such as for installing something - I have a stand alone drive at home I use.)

I too have the Aspire One, and love it! I can do almost everything with it that a "regular" laptop can do - except that it doesn't have a DVD/CD drive. But for <$300 and ~2 pounds - I can live with it for travel! (If I need a CD drive - such as for installing something - I have a stand alone drive at home I use.)
If you have a home network set up, you can use your desktop PC CD/DVD drive thru WIFI.

Technology doesn't always work the way we expect, especially when it comes to mobile devices. Neither my laptop nor the Streets & Trips/GPS let me down and that software package was a major contributor to my overall enjoyment riding the Empire Builder.
I have used the built-in GPS, together with the free Mobile Google Maps, on my Windows Mobile cell phone/PDA with pretty good success. You can select Google Maps to show their actual satellite pictures, which of course always include tracks and stations, and it superimposes a moving marker of where you are located right onto the picture.

Pretty neat. ;)

I just checked Amazon.com for Microsoft Trips and Streets with GPS Locator. They have the newest edition with upgraded GPS for $54.99. I'm going to order one as soon as I sign off here! Thanks for the info, Longford!

I just checked Amazon.com for Microsoft Trips and Streets with GPS Locator. They have the newest edition with upgraded GPS for $54.99. I'm going to order one as soon as I sign off here! Thanks for the info, Longford!
Aloha

Before you do that may I suggest that you go to a store and look at what the program does sometime the ad's are misleading.

Mahalo GG-1. They sell several different packages - both with and without GPS. I'm turning this issue over to my husband. He's the geek in the family.

Just reading the poop about Streets and Trips on the MS website. The 2009 version saves GPS trails now. The upgraded GPS is now wireless.

I'll throw in my vote for the Asus 1000HE. I have gotten 7h 45m of battery life out of it so far without sacrificing much screen brightness. I love that thing! Bought mine from NewEgg.com when it first released.

The 2009 version saves GPS trails now.

In other words you can replay where you have been such as DeLorme does or just the trail during the session and not to save for later viewing?
Streets & Trips 2009 allows you to save the information for future reference. I looked at S&Ts competitors for some time before making my purchase, and for my use, and reviewing the matter following my recent trip, I think I purchased the best product for my needs/wants. DeLorme wasn't even a close consideration - in my analysis. "Cheaper" in price doesn't necessarily mean "better" in performance. B)

Just reading the poop about Streets and Trips on the MS website. The 2009 version saves GPS trails now. The upgraded GPS is now wireless.
I was looking at that. I see nothing about a wireless GPS on MS site. It simply states it is "cable-free" which for me, seems a bit risky. It is simply a small GPS that plugs into your USB port. The GPS I use with MS S&T has a cable and I am able to put it near the window of the train and not have to have the laptop right next to it.

It does say it is more sensitive, but still, I like having my cable.

I was looking at that. I see nothing about a wireless GPS on MS site. It simply states it is "cable-free" which for me, seems a bit risky. It is simply a small GPS that plugs into your USB port. The GPS I use with MS S&T has a cable and I am able to put it near the window of the train and not have to have the laptop right next to it.

It does say it is more sensitive, but still, I like having my cable.
Ok, I took "cable free" to mean wireless, my bad.

You're right I'd rather have the cable and stick the receiver on the window.

My Asus 1000HE has Bluetooth so I purchased a Bluetooth GPS receiver on ebay - after connecting, I carried the receiver in my shirt pocket. NO WIRES at all!!

My Asus 1000HE has Bluetooth so I purchased a Bluetooth GPS receiver on ebay - after connecting, I carried the receiver in my shirt pocket. NO WIRES at all!!
Lemme know when you lose it. :p
I'll sure do that, but don't hold your breath (or do, whatever blows up your skirt) Some of us don't need stuff tied on to us so we don't lose it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back