Tucson to Taylor, TX on Texas Eagle next week: advice?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micmac99

Train Attendant
Hello. I just joined this board a few weeks ago looking for information on a trip I will be taking next week. The travel tips I've been finding on here so far are excellent and I will be putting a few of those ideas to use.

I will be leaving Tucson early Sunday the 29th on the Texas Eagle (I think it's train #22) to Taylor, TX (Austin area). Return to Tucson will start July 6. I'm visiting my son, who is just about to enter his teenage years, my ex-wife and her family who live in Hutto; we will be touring the UT campus, BBQing, and later in the week we will driving to San Antonio and doing the SeaWorld/Fiesta Texas thing.

I used to ride Amtrak a lot as a college student in Northern California in the late 1980's, mainly from Davis to Oakland on (I think) the California Zephyr or maybe one of the Starlights (this was a few years before Amtrak California was initiated). And not too many years later rode from Atlanta to Birmingham when I lived in Atlanta in the late '90s (part of that time I was in graduate school at NC State and I would ride the Carolinian from Raleigh to Charlotte). So in the past I have been a fairly big Amtrak rider but this will be my first Amtrak trip since about early 2001.

Since Amtrak no longer serves Phoenix, where I live, I am catching Greyhound to Tucson, a city I am very familiar with as I'm a University of Arizona graduate (BFA '93; transferred there from UC Davis) and have been back to a few times since returning to Arizona to live in 2004.

Has Amtrak beefed up security since 9/11? If so, what should I expect? Hopefully no taking off of shoes or anything like that. I have a small canvas suitcase and a smaller backpack that I will place my iBook in.

Where is a good place to run my laptop so I can watch DVD's? I saw on another thread that the Superliners don't have many electrical outlets, something I never paid attention to back in the day but is of minor importance now.

Also saw on here the Cross Country Cafe is the standard meal service and I found the sample menu on the Amtrak website...how is breakfast handled for coach passengers? How much should I expect to spend for food for this trip?

I am aware of the overnight layover in San Antonio but was wondering: is it worth it to just book a hotel in SA or can I stay on the train? (I am in coach and can't afford the upgrade to a sleeper).

I am quite excited about this trip, it is the major vacation of 2008 for me. Any information would be appreciated, and thanks for an excellent informational resource. This nation - now, more than ever - is in critical need of a strong and healthy Amtrak.

Hi there,

I've journeyed round trip from Taylor to Dallas on the TE last February, and I almost always travel coach. One of the coach cars had electrical outlets (2) at each seat, and the other one or two (?) did not. Do a search for my post for the info. Also, the station at Taylor is bare-bones, i.e., just a room with a coke machine and a couple of tables with benches in the Freight Train office building. There are also some picnic tables outside for good weather. Also, the only security check I had was a quick examination of my drivers license. No shoes off, no luggage examination.

I have taken the Sunset Limited from Houston to Los Angeles (coach) several years ago, and we had a long layover in the middle of the night to attach cars from the Texas Eagle to the SL. We just stayed in coach and let the train people do the work. Getting off the train was not encouraged. Also, the meals were announced in coach and one of the car attendants came by to reserve a time for me to get breakfast, lunch or dinner when appropriate. So, just bring your patience, your sense of adventure, and possibly some snacks with you and enjoy the ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
The outlets in the SL on the Texas Eagle are limited. They're located on the wall below the windows, Look about 3 rows in front or behind the stairwell. Sometimes the seats will be blocking your view of the outlet but they are there

Also saw on here the Cross Country Cafe is the standard meal service and I found the sample menu on the Amtrak website...how is breakfast handled for coach passengers? How much should I expect to spend for food for this trip?
I am aware of the overnight layover in San Antonio but was wondering: is it worth it to just book a hotel in SA or can I stay on the train? (I am in coach and can't afford the upgrade to a sleeper).
AFAIK, the CCC is only put on the TE (from SAS north). The SL has a full dining car (IIRC).

You do not need to get a hotel in SAS! As long as you're booked on train #21 and #22 (NOT train #1 or #2!) your car will be switched between the 2 trains. In fact, depending on when you go to sleep and when you wake up, it is possible that you could fall asleep before the train arrives in SAS and wake up after it leaves SAS. (It's possible that you may not have known that you stopped in SAS at all!)

Depending on how much you eat, I would expect to pay $20-$30 per day for meals. (Note - To save money, I very seldom have lunch. If I do, I'll grab something quick from the cafe. (Or sometimes even something from a station's vending machine - when there is a long dwell time.)

You do not need to get a hotel in SAS! As long as you're booked on train #21 and #22 (NOT train #1 or #2!) your car will be switched between the 2 trains. In fact, depending on when you go to sleep and when you wake up, it is possible that you could fall asleep before the train arrives in SAS and wake up after it leaves SAS. (It's possible that you may not have known that you stopped in SAS at all!)
Um, absolutely NOT!

Train 21/22 does not run to Tucson. Train 421/422 runs to Tucson and the OP must be booked onto that train or they will be forced off the train in San Antonio and left waiting in the station or looking for a hotel room.

Um, absolutely NOT!

Train 21/22 does not run to Tucson. Train 421/422 runs to Tucson and the OP must be booked onto that train or they will be forced off the train in San Antonio and left waiting in the station or looking for a hotel room.
I am indeed booked on 421/422, so hopefully they will let me stay on the train during the layover - when I would do long-distance Greyhound trips (much more often the last 5-6 years than Amtrak or flying) one would always need to get off the coach on LA, El Paso, Dallas, Memphis, etc., to change coaches or wait for the coach to be cleaned and serviced, and they would give you a reboarding pass so you could have your same seat when time to reboard.

Incidentally, on my return trip on the 421, it is scheduled to arrive in Tucson at 11:20pm. I did go ahead and book an overnight stay at Hotel Congress, where the 1930's gangster John Dillinger was captured by the FBI. To this day they have no AC in the rooms (evaporative cooling and ceiling fans, though) and the rooms look almost like they did in the 1930's which is kind of cool. Old-fashioned black and white tiles in the bathroom and thick cotton bedspreads similar to what my grandmother used to have. $69 a night and their café is excellent. There is a nightclub which was frequented by the cool, hip 20something crowd during my college days and I presume still is.

I stayed there about 1998 or so when my son and ex-wife were a little younger and living in Tucson (ex was my U of Arizona "sweetheart"). My Greyhound to Phoenix leaves 11:50 the following morning and it's about a 15-20 min. walk between the hotel (directly across the street from the Amtrak station) and the Greyhound station.

Um, absolutely NOT!

I am indeed booked on 421/422, so hopefully they will let me stay on the train during the layover
They will let you stay on if your ticket says 421/422. You will have the option of stepping off if you want, but you can also just stay right in your seat and sleep.

Hello. I just joined this board a few weeks ago looking for information on a trip I will be taking next week. The travel tips I've been finding on here so far are excellent and I will be putting a few of those ideas to use.
I will be leaving Tucson early Sunday the 29th on the Texas Eagle (I think it's train #22) to Taylor, TX (Austin area).

Since Amtrak no longer serves Phoenix, where I live
Micmac,
I'm not posting to give you any travel tips but to recall an occurance back in 1992 when I was traveling from Chicago to Austin on the Texas Eagle. Back then the train had a commentator (don't know if it still happens anywhere today) who would come on the PA and inform the passengers on historical views or points of interest.

We were passing through a large field with round bales of hay on both sides of the train when the commentator came on and said something similar to this... "You will notice that all the bales of hay are round. It just happens that you'll not find that any bales in this general area are other than round. Because of this the cattle have retained a lawyer to sue the farmers. Their complaint is that they can't get a square meal!"

Now it's not award winning humor, but it did help make the trip a little more interesting and fun.

BTW, I hope your getting cooler weather from the 115 degree weather you've had.... expecially since I'll be staying in Mesa for a week in a few weeks from today! :blush:

Um, absolutely NOT!

My bad! :eek: I always get confused which is the number thru to LA and just to SAS!

I will be leaving Tucson early Sunday the 29th on the Texas Eagle (I think it's train #22) to Taylor, TX (Austin area).

Since Amtrak no longer serves Phoenix, where I live
Micmac,
I'm not posting to give you any travel tips but to recall an occurance back in 1992 when I was traveling from Chicago to Austin on the Texas Eagle. Back then the train had a commentator (don't know if it still happens anywhere today) who would come on the PA and inform the passengers on historical views or points of interest.

We were passing through a large field with round bales of hay on both sides of the train when the commentator came on and said something similar to this... "You will notice that all the bales of hay are round. It just happens that you'll not find that any bales in this general area are other than round. Because of this the cattle have retained a lawyer to sue the farmers. Their complaint is that they can't get a square meal!"

Now it's not award winning humor, but it did help make the trip a little more interesting and fun.

BTW, I hope your getting cooler weather from the 115 degree weather you've had.... expecially since I'll be staying in Mesa for a week in a few weeks from today! :blush:
I have to remember that one! Thanks for that. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The Valley of the Sun is living up to its name for sure...and unfortunately, the only break from the triple digit temps might be the monsoon rains, which may start up after the Fourth. It actually may be a teeny bit cooler in Austin than in Phoenix next week.

Hey micmac99,
It's a balmy 98 degrees here, y'all come visit!
That's the whole point of this trip! My son (and ex-wife and ex in-laws) live in Hutto. My son will be going into the 7th grade in the fall at Hutto Middle School.

We will be driving down to SAS to do the Riverwalk, Fiesta Texas and Sea World.

Good times ahead...and lived in Dallas for a little bit so I know the Texas humidity (ex and son were living in Norman, OK at that time - my son changed from a Sooner fan to a solid UT "Hook 'Em Horns" loyalist, and wants to go there for college.)

I'd consider the upgrade to sleeper, were I you. It might help you cost-wise, because meals are included.

micmac99 said:
The Valley of the Sun is living up to its name for sure...and unfortunately, the only break from the triple digit temps might be the monsoon rains, which may start up after the Fourth. It actually may be a teeny bit cooler in Austin than in Phoenix next week.
Mic,

When you mentioned the monsoon rains you didn't mention that those rains were waiting for our arrival in Mesa!

We arrived here in Mesa yesterday, unpacked and went to dinner at the Village Inn in Mesa. We were in the restaurant not more than a couple of hours after our arrival when the rains started. They were coming down so hard we stayed in for a while when finished and ordered coffee because we were so cold. (yes, cold)

When it let up a little we got into our car and started back to where we are staying (about a mile or two away) and before getting back the streets were flooding. At one end of the street a fire truck blocked the street we needed to go so we slowly ventured through the flow of the flood and make it around to the other end of the street. At this point we turned onto our street toward the entrance of our park and just about 200 yards from the entrance another fire truck arrived and blocked us again. Fortunately I was able to get the firemen to allow me to go around the truck and get back!

As you probably know by now Mesa got the most rain of any community in the area (3.?") and that was more than the total fallen all year.

This was just one of the little inconveniences experienced since arriving... but the others are another story I'll pass on.

So next time you warn someone about the Monsoons in the greater Phoenix area, make sure you note that you are holding them back until the percise moment they arrive. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back