Turtle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wacko.gif
I agree with many of the warnings from groups like the CDC, NIH, etc...but not all. How many of us grew up 30-50 years ago playing with things now banned or have warnings, and are still here to talk about it?
How many people aren't?

wacko.gif
I agree with many of the warnings from groups like the CDC, NIH, etc...but not all. How many of us grew up 30-50 years ago playing with things now banned or have warnings, and are still here to talk about it?
huh.gif
And remember those "experts" 20-40 years ago who were warning about "Global COOLING" (because it was snowing in the south)? Many of them are the same "experts" who are now warning us about "Global WARMING"!
rolleyes.gif
The media initiated "global cooling" scare was so limited in scope and duration that it was over almost as soon as it began. Meanwhile, the science of global warming has been under peer review since at least the 1980's with no substantial reversal in sight. July was the hottest month on record and the last decade has seen several of the hottest years on record, including the hottest calendar year and the hottest rolling twelve month period. Also, unlike some minor regional problem with unsanitary handling of diseased pets, global warming has the potential to create substantial stress on life sustaining resources for billions of humans.

Last edited by a moderator:
2) Two pages into the thread, nobody has yet pointed out the most important thing the OP needs to know- if you sneak in your turtle (and cat, dog, zebra, giraffe any animal for that matter) and an Amtrak staff employee sees it or a co-passenger sees and complains to the staff, you and your lovely painted turtle will find yourself at a grade crossing in the middle of nowhere with a free ride in a car with shining lights. Knowing this possibility, decide for yourself if you want to risk taking the turtle or not.
Actually, this possibility was alluded to back in Post #16.

Texas Sunset said:
1345045384[/url]' post='387427']
the_traveler said:
1345042629[/url]' post='387420']
wacko.gif
huh.gif
And remember those "experts" 20-40 years ago who were warning about "Global COOLING" (because it was snowing in the south)? Many of them are the same "experts" who are now warning us about "Global WARMING"!
rolleyes.gif
The media initiated "global cooling" scare was so limited in scope and duration that it was over almost as soon as it began. Meanwhile, the science of global warming has been under peer review since at least the 1980's with no substantial reversal in sight. July was the hottest month on record and the last decade has seen several of the hottest years on record, including the hottest calendar year and the hottest rolling twelve month period. Also, unlike some minor regional problem with unsanitary handling of diseased pets, global warming has the potential to create substantial stress on life sustaining resources for billions of humans.
You do realize that the earth's climate goes thru a cycle regularly about every 100,000 years of being "hot" and "cold", and it has been nearly 100,000 years since the last "hot" cycle? So I don't consider this really news!

Texas Sunset said:
the_traveler said:
wacko.gif
huh.gif
rolleyes.gif
You do realize that the earth's climate goes thru a cycle regularly about every 100,000 years of being "hot" and "cold", and it has been nearly 100,000 years since the last "hot" cycle? So I don't consider this really news!
If it's not really news then why did you choose to bring it up?

Texas Sunset said:
the_traveler said:
wacko.gif
huh.gif
rolleyes.gif
You consider whatever you want to news, but that doesn't change the facts.

Maybe it's more along the lines of "there are only 42,000 cases per year in the US (from the CDC) and that I don't think that turtles alone would be spreading 2.5 times that per year"

Come on. Just because I am being more realistic doesn't mean I don't want to live. Ridiculous.
There are slightly more than 42k cases of Salmonella a year:

Salmonella causes about 1.2 million cases of food poisoning each year. Its victims are most likely to be 5 or younger. Infections from salmonella, which can be deadly, result in $365 million in direct medical costs each year, according to the CDC.
If you don't believe the Washington Post quoting the CDC, here's another cite, right from the CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report:

In the United States, Salmonella causes an estimated 1.2 million illnesses annually, approximately 1 million of which are transmitted by food consumed in the United States (2).
:
The footnote leads us to this article, which was published in a peer-reviewed journal. I'll leave it to you to analyze. It particularly touches on why the Summary of Notifiable Disease numbers aren't a useful total number of cases.

This quick bit of research shows why I trust the CDC over someone being "realistic."

YMMV, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's more along the lines of "there are only 42,000 cases per year in the US (from the CDC) and that I don't think that turtles alone would be spreading 2.5 times that per year"

Come on. Just because I am being more realistic doesn't mean I don't want to live. Ridiculous.
There are slightly more than 42k cases of Salmonella a year:

Salmonella causes about 1.2 million cases of food poisoning each year. Its victims are most likely to be 5 or younger. Infections from salmonella, which can be deadly, result in $365 million in direct medical costs each year, according to the CDC.
If you don't believe the Washington Post quoting the CDC, here's another cite, right from the CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report:

In the United States, Salmonella causes an estimated 1.2 million illnesses annually, approximately 1 million of which are transmitted by food consumed in the United States (2).
:
The footnote leads us to this article, which was published in a peer-reviewed journal. I'll leave it to you to analyze. It particularly touches on why the Summary of Notifiable Disease numbers aren't a useful total number of cases.

This quick bit of research shows why I trust the CDC over someone being "realistic."

YMMV, of course.
I saw that as well, but I saw a mention of 42,000 in reference to the cases just in the US. When we hear of Salmonella outbreaks, we hear of maybe hundreds of people or tens of people in the US contracting it. If there were 1.2 million in the US, then it wouldn't be as big an issue when the outbreaks occur. I believed that the 1.2 was for the world in total.

Having a newborn, and having spent a year doing fertility treatments, the near-2 years I've spent taking care of the cat litter solo, I'm well aware of those issues and recommendations. George's comments went well beyond that, though...

Salmonella

Global Warming

Cat and Dog litter

Someone told me this site is about Amtrak and trains, is it not?
help.gif

Salmonella

Global Warming

Cat and Dog litter

help.gif
Truth be told, I actually find the seemingly random and unexpected paths some threads take to be rather interesting. That's not to say that I would promote or condone intentional hijacking, but when a thread morphs repeatedly through various organic diversions I find the result especially curious. Although I chose to take the side of the anti-establishment view in this particular thread I'm often appalled at what I see while visiting the houses of average pet owners, so it honestly could have gone either way. Global warming may seem like a joke to some folks, but for me it's a primary motivator for choosing Amtrak, with the ironic and inescapable fact that Amtrak itself is also powered mostly by fossil fuels. Those are two potentially paradoxical outcomes just from analyzing a single member's perspective. Now imagine how many factors played a role in each of our posts, and indeed each of our lives, in order to create the twisted and fractured thread you see before you. Truly fascinating. ^_^

Salmonella

Global Warming

Cat and Dog litter

help.gif
Truth be told, I actually find the seemingly random and unexpected paths some threads take to be rather interesting. That's not to say that I would promote or condone intentional hijacking, but when a thread morphs repeatedly through various organic diversions I find the result especially curious. Although I chose to take the side of the anti-establishment view in this particular thread I'm often appalled at what I see while visiting the houses of average pet owners, so it honestly could have gone either way. Global warming may seem like a joke to some folks, but for me it's a primary motivator for choosing Amtrak, with the ironic and inescapable fact that Amtrak itself is also powered mostly by fossil fuels. Those are two potentially paradoxical outcomes just from analyzing a single member's perspective. Now imagine how many factors played a role in each of our posts, and indeed each of our lives, in order to create the twisted and fractured thread you see before you. Truly fascinating. ^_^
I am a skeptic about mankind caused factors having any real significance. It will be and is overwhelmed by solar cycles. My main concern with this issue is that when it gets discredited, and it almost certainly will be discredited in the next few years that concern about fossil fuel consumption will also be discredited. That one is real. As time goes on the sources of these fuels, particularly petroleum are getting more and more difficult to access. We must find other ways for heating, cooling, cooking, and transport than burning fossil fuels, or forests, either for that matter. Electricity can be produced by means other than burning stuff, and the best way to use electricity for transport is by rail.

[Moderator Note]

I feel this thread has gotten way off topic, I also agree with the post that said "... I thought AU was about Amtrak ..." (I may have not quoted the exact words.) Katie got the answer in the first reply (4 pages ago) and I do not expect her to return.

Thus, I am closing this thread! If other moderators feel differently, they may reopen this thread. I am not censoring anyone, but the OP's question has been answered, and she has not returned to follow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back