U.S., Canada move to end screening stop for Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Senator Schumer of NY issued a press release yesterday on the agreement to place the Customs facility in Montreal. His version gives Sen. Schumer a lot of the credit, but it is an election year and as the Chairman of the Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees, and Border Security, he would have the power to break through the inertia of the DHS bureaucracy.

From the reports, there are still policy details to work out, the secure screening facility in Montreal has to be completed, and then US & Canadian Customs & Border agencies have to re-locate personnel to the Montreal station. Likely to be a while before the customs inspection is done in Montreal.

This agreement has significant implications for the Adirondack and the Vermonter. Once the facility is in place, clears a major hurdle for extending Vermonter service northward to Montreal. We may see the Vermonter running through to Montreal in a few years.

How much time would having the customs inspection take place in Montreal take off the Adirondack scheduled trip time? 90 minutes? 2 hours? Figure the funded improvements from NYP to Schenectady will cut 15-20 minutes, if not more, off of the trip time. There are proposed track and signal projects that would speed up the Schenectady to Rouses Point leg, although it would still be on the slower side. Still, what would be the effect on ridership of a ~ 8.5 hour NYP to Montreal train trip? Pretty big I think. NY State and Amtrak should be thinking about adding a second daily Adirondack in a few years.

When/if the customs facility opens in Montreal, how would the Adirondack departure times be adjusted? Leave NYP a hour or 2 later in the morning to allow more connections from greater NY city region (LIRR, NJT) and from further south on the NEC? Still depart Montreal at around 9:30 to 10 AM to allow a dinner time arrival in NYC?

This is fantastic news. Amazing what you can achieve in an election year. :giggle:

Since I first rode the Adirondack in 2004 I've been hoping that common sense might prevail and this could happen.

From the reports, there are still policy details to work out, the secure screening facility in Montreal has to be completed, and then US & Canadian Customs & Border agencies have to re-locate personnel to the Montreal station. Likely to be a while before the customs inspection is done in Montreal.
Do we know if the Adirondack will shift to Gare Lucien L'Allier near the old Windsor Terminal, or has space been set aside in Gare Centrale? Re: the re-location of personnel, this won't be such a huge drag because there is already a large contingent of US Border agents working at Montréal Trudeau airport at the US pre-clearance facility. Perhaps this means a few more jobs for US agents, and two extra shifts downtown; no big deal really.

This agreement has significant implications for the Adirondack and the Vermonter. Once the facility is in place, clears a major hurdle for extending Vermonter service northward to Montreal. We may see the Vermonter running through to Montreal in a few years.
+1

Although I'm cautious about the Vermonter. Back in the days of the overnight Montrealer/Washingtonian (basically on the same route as the Vermonter) the train passed through Vermont in the middle of the night. There was a good balance with one daytime and one nighttime cross-border train. Although cross-border ridership on the Vermonter declined, the train survives today because it is subsidised by the state of Vermont to provide daytime service to intermediate communities. Could we really justify two cross-border trains between NYC and Montreal, especially as they would arrive and depart within a few hours of each other?

I would actually suggest that the Vermonter should be preserved as it is, as it has grown to become an important service for the many intermediate communities of Vermont. With the forthcoming Viewliner order, I would argue for re-instating overnight service between Montreal, NYC and Washington in addition to, rather than instead of extending the Vermonter. Given that most overnight passengers would be traveling intercity rather to intermediate points, it could run along the same route as the Adirondack. Pre-departure/post-arrival border checks would make overnight service very attractive - no late night disturbance to have your passport checked.

How much time would having the customs inspection take place in Montreal take off the Adirondack scheduled trip time? 90 minutes? 2 hours?
Right now, the Adirondack is scheduled to allow one hour for border checks at Rouses Point, NY. A slightly longer stop (albeit cushioned to allow for delays accrued on the journey north) is scheduled for Canadian checks at Lacolle, QC. Over the last four days, southbound train #68 has arrived at Plattsburgh, NY between 2 and 25 minutes late, so it's usually a given that one hour is not enough, especially at weekends or over holidays when the train can be sold out.

The great advantage of handling border checks before departure / after arrival in Montreal is that passengers can be cleared as they arrive and "check-in" at the station, presumably proceeding into a "sterile" waiting area dedicated to cross-border trains. In previous discussions about relocating the Adirondack terminus I've suggested that there isn't particularly obvious space for this at Gare Lucien L'Allier in Montréal. Perhaps there is room at Gare Centrale to somehow create a sterile waiting area at concourse level which then has direct access to platform level?

The only downside with pre-departure/post-arrival border checks is that it will presumably be impossible to retain the intermediate stop at St. Lambert, QC. The St. Lambert stop was, if I remember correctly, occasionally used for connections between the Ocean to the Adirondack, but given the Adirondack's reliability, I would never normally recommend a same-day connection as particularly safe.

This is fantastic news. Amazing what you can achieve in an election year. :giggle:

Since I first rode the Adirondack in 2004 I've been hoping that common sense might prevail and this could happen.

Do we know if the Adirondack will shift to Gare Lucien L'Allier near the old Windsor Terminal, or has space been set aside in Gare Centrale? Re: the re-location of personnel, this won't be such a huge drag because there is already a large contingent of US Border agents working at Montréal Trudeau airport at the US pre-clearance facility. Perhaps this means a few more jobs for US agents, and two extra shifts downtown; no big deal really.
No shift to Lucien L'Allier. The facility is being built at Gare Centrale.

You are correct, the border agents will come from Dorval.

+1
Only if someone comes up with the big bucks that CN wants to run it to Montreal. It is not covered by the special agreement that Amtrak has with CN for Amtrak crew to operate the Adirondack to Montreal. Another item to be worked before anything can happen with the Vermonter can get into this act. The NY/VT/QC troika are interested, but it all depends.. as they say.

Although I'm cautious about the Vermonter. Back in the days of the overnight Montrealer/Washingtonian (basically on the same route as the Vermonter) the train passed through Vermont in the middle of the night. There was a good balance with one daytime and one nighttime cross-border train. Although cross-border ridership on the Vermonter declined, the train survives today because it is subsidised by the state of Vermont to provide daytime service to intermediate communities. Could we really justify two cross-border trains between NYC and Montreal, especially as they would arrive and depart within a few hours of each other?
The other possibility being considered is to run what is primarily a Boston - Montreal train on the VT corridor. Very early stages of consideration on that. Lots needs to happen before that comes to pass.

The great advantage of handling border checks before departure / after arrival in Montreal is that passengers can be cleared as they arrive and "check-in" at the station, presumably proceeding into a "sterile" waiting area dedicated to cross-border trains. In previous discussions about relocating the Adirondack terminus I've suggested that there isn't particularly obvious space for this at Gare Lucien L'Allier in Montréal. Perhaps there is room at Gare Centrale to somehow create a sterile waiting area at concourse level which then has direct access to platform level?
Vancouver does not really have much of a sterile area. They start border checks for departure when the train is pretty much ready to receive passengers, or let people hang out on the fenced off platform for a bit.

The only downside with pre-departure/post-arrival border checks is that it will presumably be impossible to retain the intermediate stop at St. Lambert, QC. The St. Lambert stop was, if I remember correctly, occasionally used for connections between the Ocean to the Adirondack, but given the Adirondack's reliability, I would never normally recommend a same-day connection as particularly safe.
Correct. St. Lambert stop will be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would actually suggest that the Vermonter should be preserved as it is, as it has grown to become an important service for the many intermediate communities of Vermont. With the forthcoming Viewliner order, I would argue for re-instating overnight service between Montreal, NYC and Washington in addition to, rather than instead of extending the Vermonter. Given that most overnight passengers would be traveling intercity rather to intermediate points, it could run along the same route as the Adirondack. Pre-departure/post-arrival border checks would make overnight service very attractive - no late night disturbance to have your passport checked.
A Washington - NYC - Montreal overnight train would be awesome. I remember taking the train to Montreal from DC a few years back - such a hassle to have to leave at 3:15am from Union station! Though I guess the trade off is that an overnight train would go through the Adirondacks at night - which is gorgeous in the fall.

Vermont's interest is in having daytime service to and from Montreal. A Vermonter originating/terminating in Montreal would allow Montrealers to make day trips to VT with early morning departures to VT and return trips to Montreal in the evening. Vermonters could make overnight and weekend trips to Montreal. A Vermonter extended to Montreal also allows a single seat ride from Stamford, Hartford, Springfield MA and VT to Montreal. Why not have 2 trains covering entirely different routes between NYC and Montreal? Most people in NYC will take the Adirondack to Montreal, but a Vermonter extended to Montreal main purpose would be to provide access to VT from Montreal and south of VT, not for WAS-NYP to Montreal through traffic. Although there would be some.

Something to keep in mind is the current Vermonter trip time to St. Albans is going to be improved. Reportedly 25 minutes will be removed from the Vermonter schedule this fall in VT after more track and signal improvement work this summer. The return to the CT River line will cut another 25 minutes; should happen by fall of 2013 (maybe). The upgrades to the Springfield corridor will take until 2016-2017, but should cut another 30 minutes or so from the current trip time. There is also the extended Vermonter trip times on the New Haven line due to the 2 tracking and catenary work.

If it takes 2 hours to cover the 70 to 75 miles from St. Albans to Montreal while 90-100 minutes is cut from the current WAS-St Albans trip time, the Vermonter would go from WAS to Montreal in not much longer than the current end to end trip time. Not much of a stretch on a daytime schedule. Of course, as jis is pointing out, VT and Amtrak have to get CN and Canadian officials to agree and then there is issue of funding it all.

Right now, the Adirondack is scheduled to allow one hour for border checks at Rouses Point, NY. A slightly longer stop (albeit cushioned to allow for delays accrued on the journey north) is scheduled for Canadian checks at Lacolle, QC. Over the last four days, southbound train #68 has arrived at Plattsburgh, NY between 2 and 25 minutes late, so it's usually a given that one hour is not enough, especially at weekends or over holidays when the train can be sold out.
The northbound Adirondack takes 4 hours on the schedule to cover the 72 miles from Plattsburg NY to Montreal. If there are no border stops and no longer a stop at St. Lambert, even with padding left in, that suggest that could be cut to 2 hours or less.

The question is what are the goals for trip times for the Adirondack service? If NYP-MTR can be trimmed to 8 to 8-1/2 hours, how competitive is that with driving times and bus services? Have to look em up.

james is right that while extending the Vermonter to Montreal would be reasonably easy, it would actually make more sense to create a second train that would run overnight, on a schedule similar to the old Montrealer's. But it might be worth coordinating the new development of a Montreal-Vermont-Boston train, together with extending the Ethan Allen to Burlington. Vermont would be happy, because that would let passengers from Vermont's largest city easily travel by train to Montreal, Boston, and Albany/NYC.

Edit: I see that afigg has already made most of these points. Apologies for the duplication.

Senator Schumer of NY issued a press release yesterday on the agreement to place the Customs facility in Montreal. His version gives Sen. Schumer a lot of the credit, but it is an election year...
Not to rush to Senator Schumer's defense...but in point of fact, while it's an "election year" in some quarters, Senator Schumer himself is not up for re-election until 2016.

The only downside with pre-departure/post-arrival border checks is that it will presumably be impossible to retain the intermediate stop at St. Lambert, QC.
According to the Great American Stations website, the St. Lambert stop had a whopping 1,405 riders in FY2011. That's less than 2 riders a day in each direction.

Not a big loss.

1) I'm wondering if the desired Boston-Montreal train couldn't be achieved with a split somewhere like Springfield, MA (and depending on the timing, it might be possible to do the turn with a single engine). At present with the Vermonter, this could simply be done by sticking cars onto 448/449 and sliding them over at Springfield.

2) On the Adirondack, ideally the NYP departure will be pushed back a little to allow for humane connections with trains coming from/going to the south (getting from WAS to MTR is not my idea of a fun time, and neither is going the other way).

3) On the Vermonter, I'd actually argue for keeping it a day train (at least for now). As much as I like overnight train trips, the Vermonter will draw a decent amount of traffic from places other than NYP that the Adirondack can be just plain clunky for, even allowing for a slightly better schedule. Likewise, I believe that a slightly altered Vermonter schedule might allow a connection with the Meteor (NB, you'd need a better pad, but if the Meteor goes back to a post-rush hour departure from NYP, then it might be doable), which would open up a LOT of city pairs. For the record, if this became possible I would argue for seriously studying a through car service of some kind.

4) To echo the above, I would support an overnight train on one of the routes as well (probably the Vermonter's route due to layout issues at NYP) if the ridership was there. Of course, I expect that it will be there...but putting the caveat in is always a good move. I'm wondering if this couldn't be arranged through a split in a Regional at New Haven (primarily to save a slot in CT), with a slightly shorter consist going to Boston than runs through at present/would be likely in the near future. Likewise, I'm left wondering about doing a Springfield split on this train as well (to hit BOS as well as NYP-WAS).

The northbound Adirondack takes 4 hours on the schedule to cover the 72 miles from Plattsburg NY to Montreal. If there are no border stops and no longer a stop at St. Lambert, even with padding left in, that suggest that could be cut to 2 hours or less.

The question is what are the goals for trip times for the Adirondack service? If NYP-MTR can be trimmed to 8 to 8-1/2 hours, how competitive is that with driving times and bus services? Have to look em up.
And if someone can come up with a few Canadian and US bucks to fix the rock and roll at 20mph track from Roues Point to Cantic, and put in a controlled switch at Rouses Point and Cantic, so that flagman does not have to get off, set and reset switches, they could cut another 15 to 20 minutes I suppose.

1) I'm wondering if the desired Boston-Montreal train couldn't be achieved with a split somewhere like Springfield, MA (and depending on the timing, it might be possible to do the turn with a single engine). At present with the Vermonter, this could simply be done by sticking cars onto 448/449 and sliding them over at Springfield.

2) On the Adirondack, ideally the NYP departure will be pushed back a little to allow for humane connections with trains coming from/going to the south (getting from WAS to MTR is not my idea of a fun time, and neither is going the other way).
I don't see why split trains or trying to merge a Boston to Montreal train with the often late LSL would be a good idea. I see too many posts here about tagging on this once a day train or that daily train. The goal should be to increase ridership by increasing frequency, schedule flexibility, and relibility, not trying to have 1 train do everything.

A Boston to Montreal train is probably some ways off. The Boston to Springfield line should get some improvements in place first as incremental steps toward an Inland route Regional and additional BOS to SPG service. The budget crunch at MBTA due in part to the debt load from the Big Dig is likely to result in streching out and delays BOS to Worcester improvements and restoring double tracking to SPG. When/if a BOS to MTR train does happen, it can depart BOS in the morning with the westbound LSL providing a mid-day BOS to SPG service. The eastbound LSL and MTR to BOS trains can provide SPG to BOS service at different times in the afternoon or early evening.

NYC and Montreal are both major cities (well, duh) with excellent transit systems. They should be able to support multiple daily trains between them if the travel times can be made competetive. Get enough ridership growth to provide a foundation for serious discussion of and planning for a true NYC to Montreal HSR service connecting to a WAS to NYC to BOS HSR.

3) On the Vermonter, I'd actually argue for keeping it a day train (at least for now). As much as I like overnight train trips, the Vermonter will draw a decent amount of traffic from places other than NYP that the Adirondack can be just plain clunky for, even allowing for a slightly better schedule. Likewise, I believe that a slightly altered Vermonter schedule might allow a connection with the Meteor (NB, you'd need a better pad, but if the Meteor goes back to a post-rush hour departure from NYP, then it might be doable), which would open up a LOT of city pairs. For the record, if this became possible I would argue for seriously studying a through car service of some kind.
Of course the Vermonter should stay a day train. The purpose is to provide transportation to and within VT and central New England from south of NYC and, if a Montreal extension can be worked out, from Montreal. The WAS/NYC to Montreal distances are not really suitable for over night sleeper travel, until or unless we get a major expansion of service along the routes. With enough demand to support an overnight sleeper service.

And if someone can come up with a few Canadian and US bucks to fix the rock and roll at 20mph track from Roues Point to Cantic, and put in a controlled switch at Rouses Point and Cantic, so that flagman does not have to get off, set and reset switches, they could cut another 15 to 20 minutes I suppose.
If NY State is going to be stalled by CSX on plans and projects for 90 or 110 mph tracks for the western Empire corridor, they may turn more attention and state funds in the mean time to the Adirondack corridor from Schenectady to Montreal. Go ahead with the congestion relief and modest improvements projects, but they won't consume that much funding. After many years, the state and Amtrak will have control of the southern Empire corridor with the funding to do many of the long wanted improvements. So many of those items can be checked off the to do list in the next several years. So why not turn to improvements for the Adirondack service?

If it is legally possible to spend NY state funding for track fixes north of the border, maybe they can pay CP to do some low cost projects. Or ask the Quebec and Montreal government agencies to provide funding for track improvements on the Canadian side to support both freight and passenger rail travel.

Digging up the 2009 NY State Rail plan, on page 92, it claims that in a 2004 study, CP presented a proposal that identified $40.9 million in improvements between Schenectady and Rouses Point that could reduce trip times by 38 minutes. Included raising max speed to 79 mph on the northern and southern ends as well as 5 to 10 mph speed increases between Whitehall and Port Kent. They proposed a 50/50 split on the capital improvements. NYSDOT and CP subsequently funded some of the improvements. So if all of the pieces can be put into place, what NYP to MTR Adirondack trip times could be achieved within the constraints of the current ROW with comparatively modest track and signal upgrades?

Overnight trains cost a lot to operate. Besides, both the Adirondeck and Vermonter have good scenery, which can be quite a draw. Extending the Vemonter to Mobntreal would not be a bad idea, but they should keep it a day train. It is all right to operate two trains between the same endpoints a few hours from each other. The routes are different, one goes maainly in New York, the other in Vermont.

Now, if they'd just do the same thing for the Maple Leaf.

Too bad this type of improvement came too late for the International.

Gord
Unlikely to happen for the Maple Leaf, because it is a full-fledged VIA train funded by VIA in Canada. It therefore cannot be run as a sealed train from Niagara Falls NY to Toronto ON, without losing VIA sponsorship. Hence C&I inspection has to happen at the border.

Neither would this have been possible for the International since it also was a full-fledged VIA train in Canada serving VIA stops.

Unlike those trains, the Adirondack is a pure Amtrak operation with Amtrak crews all the way to Montreal Gare Centrale.

How does the CN cooperate with Amtrak?
Well Amtrak just filed a complaint against them for their handling of the City of New Orleans.
I guess that the CN won't be upgrading the track for Amtrak, then, unless they have other reasons to upgrade, or if they don't have to pay for it at all, no favours.
The customs facility at the Montreal station is not being built and won't be staffed for free. The Canadian or Quebec government is providing funding for it. If there are poor condition tracks and connections on the Canadian side that seriously slow down the train that can be fixed with a modest amount of funding by the provincial or Canadian governments, the US side may strongly nudge the Canadian government officials to provide the funding. The tourist, leisure, and business travel across the border is going both ways.

Looked up the 1982 Amtrak schedule for the Adirondack and Montrealer. Depressing just how much longer the Adirondack takes NYP-MTR than it did 30 years ago. Back then, the northbound Adirondack departed Grand Central at 10:35 AM, arrived MTR 7:13 PM. Yes, 8 hours and 45 minutes, not the close to 11 hours today. The later morning departure from NYG presumably allowed for connections from NYP via a jaunt on the subway. If up to several hours is taken off the Adirondack trip time, moving the morning departure from NYP to 9:30 AM or later would allow for easier connections from the south.

The southbound 1982 Adirondack departed Montreal (Windsor Station) at 10:15 AM, arrived NYP 6:57 PM. Back then, they were waving people through customs after a quick look at their drivers licenses and asking them if they have anything to declare. A shorter trip time would also probably move to a later departure from MTR which would allow for better connections at MTR from elsewhere and to give people time to clear customs.

The southbound Montrealer took 2 hours to get from MTR to St. Albans (SAB) with, if I read the schedule correctly, US customs inspection done enroute. It departed Montreal at 7:40 PM, arrived SAB 9:40 PM, arrived WAS 11:07 AM (13:27 SAB to WAS). The northbound Montrealer took 2:38 to get from SAB to MTR with a customs stop at Cantic, Quebec. Left WAS at 5:25 PM, arrived SAB 7:17 AM, arrived MTR 10:05 AM (13:52 WAS to SAB).

The current WAS to SAB trip times on weekdays is 13:20. Which is a little faster than the 1982 Montrealer, despite the longer route and backup move in MA. Subtract the trip time improvements from the track upgrades in VT, MA, CT, and projects getting completed on the New Haven line & the NEC, the Vermonter should eventually be several hours faster WAS to SAB than the 1982 Montrealer. Which is progress.

Looked up the 1982 Amtrak schedule for the Adirondack and Montrealer. Depressing just how much longer the Adirondack takes NYP-MTR than it did 30 years ago. Back then, the northbound Adirondack departed Grand Central at 10:35 AM, arrived MTR 7:13 PM. Yes, 8 hours and 45 minutes, not the close to 11 hours today. The later morning departure from NYG presumably allowed for connections from NYP via a jaunt on the subway. If up to several hours is taken off the Adirondack trip time, moving the morning departure from NYP to 9:30 AM or later would allow for easier connections from the south.

The southbound 1982 Adirondack departed Montreal (Windsor Station) at 10:15 AM, arrived NYP 6:57 PM. Back then, they were waving people through customs after a quick look at their drivers licenses and asking them if they have anything to declare. A shorter trip time would also probably move to a later departure from MTR which would allow for better connections at MTR from elsewhere and to give people time to clear customs.

The southbound Montrealer took 2 hours to get from MTR to St. Albans (SAB) with, if I read the schedule correctly, US customs inspection done enroute. It departed Montreal at 7:40 PM, arrived SAB 9:40 PM, arrived WAS 11:07 AM (13:27 SAB to WAS). The northbound Montrealer took 2:38 to get from SAB to MTR with a customs stop at Cantic, Quebec. Left WAS at 5:25 PM, arrived SAB 7:17 AM, arrived MTR 10:05 AM (13:52 WAS to SAB).

The current WAS to SAB trip times on weekdays is 13:20. Which is a little faster than the 1982 Montrealer, despite the longer route and backup move in MA. Subtract the trip time improvements from the track upgrades in VT, MA, CT, and projects getting completed on the New Haven line & the NEC, the Vermonter should eventually be several hours faster WAS to SAB than the 1982 Montrealer. Which is progress.
I think these timings just made the argument for the Montrealer working as an overnight route. I'd like to note, regarding my LSL suggestion, that WB/NB it would make sense. SB/EB, however, I definitely see the issue...and of course, trying to run one without the other would require some real creativity in equipment/crew moves, as this isn't the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back