U.S., Canada move to end screening stop for Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the traffic potential is between Boston and Montreal. At present there a 7 Canadair CRJ non-stop flights a day and about 14 other CRJ/ERJ based one stop connections. Even if all those traveling O/D BOS - YUL using those were to transfer to trains that would just fill a longish train maybe, depending on how many are O/D BOS - YUL and how many are connectors. I cannot see how one could justify spending mucho dinero rebuilding tracks on a partially abandoned RoW for this. So the most likely thing to happen will be along existing usable trackage, which indicate a routing via Palmer or Springfield. My guess is that it might be [referred to be via Palmer becuase of the Amherst routing, and there could indeed be even a Vermont terminator from Boston before anything happens to Montreal.

As for interest in rail, CT can hardly be categorized as a state uninterested in rail or opposed to rail. If anything it has actually bought more equipment in the recent past than Amtrak has. CT does aggressively protect what it perceives to be its primary interest, which is efficient, on time and reliable transport to New York, and one can't blame them for it. This unfortunately sometimes runs afoul of the desire to run the Amtrak trains a little faster on that railroad. Incidentally, many in NJ wish that NJT were as good as MNRR at protecting its interest on the NEC. And no matter what CT allows or not, and no matter how much railfans might dream, the cowpath of a railroad that MNRR is, will never support anything significantly faster than at most 90 mph in short spells between New Rochelle and New Haven. Restoration of the fourth track at the eastern end will of course help reduce congestion and increase schedule reliability for both MNRRR and Amtrak, and that is funded and in the works.
I didn't say that they were disinterested...but CT's obstruction has at least been rather a pain with respect to travel times on the NEC-North. I also think it's fair to say that getting those extra 10-20 MPH would still count for something.

Also, one of Amtrak's PRIIA report on the NEC says that they can get 90-110 MAS between New Rochelle and NHV. Obviously, they won't be able to manage this on the whole line (you can never manage that), but it would still be an improvement.

The big issue and interests between the two corridors is ownership, in New Jersey Amtrak owns the Northeast Corridor. In Connecticut Amtrak owns the NEC from the Rhode Island Boarder (and all the way from Boston) all the way to New Haven and the Shuttle's branch line up to Springfield (which CT-DOT want's commuter rail on). The Connecticut Department of Transportation (It doesn't normally use the name CT-DOT) owns the line from New Haven to the New York boarder where Metro-North owns the Line all the way into Grand Central. I believe Metro-North (under the complicated agreement with CT-DOT which runs the joint-state New Haven Line and why it took so long for the new M8 cars that were desperately needed to be built) is in charge or routine maintenance while CT-DOT must fund all major capital improvements which is why only today there finally slowly replacing he last remnants of the original and unique 1907 catenary (Info from the MTA). Metro-North finished this project on their section of line way back in 1995. I have a hunch if Amtrak owned this section of the corridor it might have happened already with the project that extended electrification to Boston.

Shore Line East (the CT-DOT sponsored New Haven to New London Commuter Rail Line using diesel locomotives under wire) is operated directly by Amtrak (including there ticketing), you can't buy a regular ticket from GCT to New London via MNR and SLE you need two seperate ones. In New Haven's Union Station there are two separate sets of ticket windows those for Metro-North and those for Amtrak/SLE. CT-DOT has ordered some M8s for SLE and I hope this results in direct New York to London Service at cheeper commuter fares.

...and cue yet another case where an intermediate state's disinterest in a project screws things up for the endpoint states/provinces (CT, WI and SC leap to mind as other examples; at least IN was more than happy to kick in an application with a caveat attached). Sadly, it's highly doubtful that MA, VT, or QC would be willing to provide any matches for that segment.*
If NH is not going to be an active participant, there are plenty of other projects in New England to invest the limited amount of passenger rail funds in while waiting for the NH political environment to realize that the expansion age of roads, more roads, and ever more cars is coming to a close.

While NH sits on the sidelines, let VT extend service to Montreal, get at least 2 trains a day on the eastern corridor, extend the Ethan Allen to Burlington. Massachusetts can upgrade the Inland Route to SPG for increased BOS-SPG service, extend Springfield shuttles northward along the CT River line to bring train service back in a major way to central MA. CT & Amtrak can upgrade the Springfield line with double tracking, faster speeds, and increased service including Inland Route Regionals. Maine can extend the Downeaster to Brunswick and reduce trip times for the Downeaster to Portland with service improvements as a side effect for the NH stops.

If these service expansions are successful and leads to businesses relocating or starting up around intercity and commuter train lines, eventually NH's leadership will realize that they need to become a serious participant in the restored New England passenger rail system.

As for CT, they are investing $284 million in state bonds in upgrading the Springfield line. They have been spending considerable state money in the catenary and bridge replacement projects for the New Haven Line. The state focus is mostly on the commuter services to NYC, not so much on intercity passenger rail, but given much of their population commutes to NYC that is understandable.

On the NEC and New Haven line stuff, I don't think we should turn this into another NEC thread. The prospect of a customs facility in Montreal with proposed track upgrades in northern VT opens up possible direct train services to Montreal through VT to MA and CT. So the discussions about what is going on in "greater" central New England tie in to service to Montreal. But the NEC in CT and Downeaster are peripheral to Montreal service except to note that improved trip times on the New Haven line will benefit the Vermonter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Restoration of the fourth track at the eastern end will of course help reduce congestion and increase schedule reliability for both MNRRR and Amtrak, and that is funded and in the works.
That's interesting, as that's going to involve moving/destroying existing platforms.

Restoration of the fourth track at the eastern end will of course help reduce congestion and increase schedule reliability for both MNRRR and Amtrak, and that is funded and in the works.
That's interesting, as that's going to involve moving/destroying existing platforms.
Only one. In Milford.

On the subject of a possible Boston to Montreal service, I get a guess estimate trip time of around 8.5 hours if it went via Palmer and Amherst. I figure by the time a BOS-MTR service would start, there would be NHV-SPG shuttles extended north to Greenfield MA and Amtrak would be running at least 1 Inland Route Regional which would allow connections to BOS for Northampton and Greenfield. So MA could run a BOS-MTR over the (somewhat) shorter route and provide/restore direct Boston service to Amherst.

BOS to SPG is currently 2:15. Looking at the map, BOS to Palmer to Amherst is a little further than BOS-SPG. With MA taking ownership of the BOS-WOR tracks and plans for Inland Route upgrades, I’ll ballpark the BOS to Amherst trip time at 2 hours. The current trip time from Amherst to St. Albans is 5 hours; subtract ½ hour for the track improvements in VT. Then add 2 hours for St Albans to Montreal. Or go with 2:15 BOS to Amherst and 1:45 St Albans to MTR. Either way, that adds up to around 8 and ½ hours.

Driving time from Boston to Montreal is given at around 5 to 5.5 hours by several map programs. Call it circa 6 hours with a customs and a pit stop.

Question is how much ridership would a BOS-MTR train get with an 8.5 hour trip time? Or would it get enough ridership from BOS to VT and VT to MTR to keep the operating loss to a minimum?

On the subject of a possible Boston to Montreal service, I get a guess estimate trip time of around 8.5 hours if it went via Palmer and Amherst. I figure by the time a BOS-MTR service would start, there would be NHV-SPG shuttles extended north to Greenfield MA and Amtrak would be running at least 1 Inland Route Regional which would allow connections to BOS for Northampton and Greenfield. So MA could run a BOS-MTR over the (somewhat) shorter route and provide/restore direct Boston service to Amherst.

BOS to SPG is currently 2:15. Looking at the map, BOS to Palmer to Amherst is a little further than BOS-SPG. With MA taking ownership of the BOS-WOR tracks and plans for Inland Route upgrades, I'll ballpark the BOS to Amherst trip time at 2 hours. The current trip time from Amherst to St. Albans is 5 hours; subtract ½ hour for the track improvements in VT. Then add 2 hours for St Albans to Montreal. Or go with 2:15 BOS to Amherst and 1:45 St Albans to MTR. Either way, that adds up to around 8 and ½ hours.

Driving time from Boston to Montreal is given at around 5 to 5.5 hours by several map programs. Call it circa 6 hours with a customs and a pit stop.

Question is how much ridership would a BOS-MTR train get with an 8.5 hour trip time? Or would it get enough ridership from BOS to VT and VT to MTR to keep the operating loss to a minimum?
Part of the answer there is that Boston, like New York, Philly, and Washington, has a decent carless population if I'm not mistaken. So there's that aspect to be had, plus the fact that MTR has a decent public transit system.

The other part of the answer is that the Adirondack generates a lot of NYP-MTR traffic with even worse times, relatively speaking. So I don't think the numbers would be awful...especially when you add in traffic to Vermont. It might also come down to the cost...remember, gas in New England tends to be more expensive than gas in the South and Midwest (though it's not as bad as either New York or the West Coast). Per gasbuddy.com, the cost of gas for a trip is about $53 one way or $103 round trip...which does seem to offer an opening.

BOS to SPG is currently 2:15. Looking at the map, BOS to Palmer to Amherst is a little further than BOS-SPG. With MA taking ownership of the BOS-WOR tracks and plans for Inland Route upgrades, I'll ballpark the BOS to Amherst trip time at 2 hours. The current trip time from Amherst to St. Albans is 5 hours; subtract ½ hour for the track improvements in VT. Then add 2 hours for St Albans to Montreal. Or go with 2:15 BOS to Amherst and 1:45 St Albans to MTR. Either way, that adds up to around 8 and ½ hours.

Part of the answer there is that Boston, like New York, Philly, and Washington, has a decent carless population if I'm not mistaken. So there's that aspect to be had, plus the fact that MTR has a decent public transit system.

The other part of the answer is that the Adirondack generates a lot of NYP-MTR traffic with even worse times, relatively speaking. So I don't think the numbers would be awful...especially when you add in traffic to Vermont. It might also come down to the cost...remember, gas in New England tends to be more expensive than gas in the South and Midwest (though it's not as bad as either New York or the West Coast). Per gasbuddy.com, the cost of gas for a trip is about $53 one way or $103 round trip...which does seem to offer an opening.
I agree with Anderson. I do not feel that a trip tie of even 8.5 hours would hamper ridership, and I think it's workable.

As as sidenote, I hope the rest of the country doesn't have the gas costs we do! Some of the more expensive stations in my area are over $5.00 a gallon now, within about 10 cents of the peak they hit in early July 2008.

Agree that Boston has a good transit system with a population that does not either have a car or is not inclined to drive long distances does make a difference. I can see a BOS-MTR train at 8.5 hours doing ok, but the ridership will be less from Boston than it would be if it took the more direct route through NH. On the other hand, by the time a BOS-MTR train service starts, odds are that gas prices will be way more than $3-$4 a gallon.

A brief check of air fares shows that for 1+ week in advance, the prices for direct Logan to Montreal flights are pretty high. The less expensive, but longer connecting flights are through JFK, PHL, Detroit, etc. The high prices for direct flights may be due to post Memorial Day travel.

If a BOS-MTR train does happen, it would make for a neat loop trip from NYC. Take the NEC to Boston early AM, then BOS-MTR. Return on the Adirondack a day or 2 later. Now if the BOS-MTR and the Adirondack were equipped with future Viewliner sightseer type lounge cars, would do big business in the fall during the peak color season.

The first train to arrive into Boston from New York, other than 66, is after 10am on week days and 11am on weekends. So the train would have to leave around the time that LSL leaves Boston to make such a trip possible on any day of the week.

The first train to arrive into Boston from New York, other than 66, is after 10am on week days and 11am on weekends. So the train would have to leave around the time that LSL leaves Boston to make such a trip possible on any day of the week.
Good point. With the NYP-BOS long trip time and no circa 5 AM departures from NYP to BOS, connecting to a BOS-MTR train is unlikely. A BOS-MTR train would probably depart mid-morning, late enough to allow connections from all the MBTA commuter train lines, but early enough to provide a early evening or circa 6 PM arrival in MTR. Want to get there early enough to allow connections in MTR to commuter trains, if not also VIA.

Doing a loop the other way - Adirondack north, then MTR-BOS, with an overnight stay in Montreal with a evening BOS-NYP train might work. But the prospects of a BOS-MTR are some years away. Odds are better that an Adirondack and Vermonter loop between NYP and MTR will be feasible in 3-4 years.

Doing a loop the other way - Adirondack north, then MTR-BOS, with an overnight stay in Montreal with a evening BOS-NYP train might work. But the prospects of a BOS-MTR are some years away. Odds are better that an Adirondack and Vermonter loop between NYP and MTR will be feasible in 3-4 years.
Yes, with the Vermonter the only thing missing is the political will and the operating subsidy to run the train everything else is already in place to run such a train. Heck, as a matter of fact the hand thrown switch at Cantic is normally set in the direction of Essex Jct. The Adirondack crew has to get off the train to set it in the Rouses Point direction, pass it, and then set it back in the Essex Jct. direction before heading on.

Yes, with the Vermonter the only thing missing is the political will and the operating subsidy to run the train everything else is already in place to run such a train. Heck, as a matter of fact the hand thrown switch at Cantic is normally set in the direction of Essex Jct. The Adirondack crew has to get off the train to set it in the Rouses Point direction, pass it, and then set it back in the Essex Jct. direction before heading on.
As far as I can tell, it's really just a matter of cash (and hopefully time) for some improvements to get the train running. I think VT is up for the subsidy, but the need to fix up the rails is a bit prohibitive on their part.

As far as I can tell, it's really just a matter of cash (and hopefully time) for some improvements to get the train running. I think VT is up for the subsidy, but the need to fix up the rails is a bit prohibitive on their part.
you missed the point I was making. There is no trackwork that must be done to run the train. The track is there used by freight trains every day. Yes there are a few slow stretches between Essex Jct. and Cantic, specially near the bridge across Richeleau River, but it is not so bad as to be unusable. Freight trains use it regularly.

Can the tracks be improved? Of course. But to start running a train all that you need is the political will and subsidy, both of which are currently lacking beyond having endless meetings about when to have the next meeting and issue the next report.

you missed the point I was making. There is no trackwork that must be done to run the train. The track is there used by freight trains every day. Yes there are a few slow stretches between Essex Jct. and Cantic, specially near the bridge across Richeleau River, but it is not so bad as to be unusable. Freight trains use it regularly.

Can the tracks be improved? Of course. But to start running a train all that you need is the political will and subsidy, both of which are currently lacking beyond having endless meetings about when to have the next meeting and issue the next report.
The point is taken...my understanding was just that those track issues slowed things to the point that the run started to get embarrassingly long over those miles. Of course, I think the bigger issue has been getting the customs facility set up at MTR, which from what I can tell, Vermont wants taken care of first.

Here's a different option for a Boston <> Montreal route………extend a Downeaster up the St. Lawrence & Atlantic's line to where it junctions with the Ocean's route near St. Hyacinthe, Quebec…….then it's only 30 miles into Gare Centrale. (Portland <> Montreal: 295 miles)

http://www.gwrr.com/operations/railroads/north_america/st_laurent_atlantique_railroad

This was CN's Grand Trunk line to Portland and had passenger service into the mid 1960's. Old Orchard Beach and the Maine seacoast are still popular destinations for Quebecois. Also, this line is near the Mt. Washington Valley summer and winter ski resorts.

Here's a different option for a Boston <> Montreal route………extend a Downeaster up the St. Lawrence & Atlantic's line to where it junctions with the Ocean's route near St. Hyacinthe, Quebec…….then it's only 30 miles into Gare Centrale. (Portland <> Montreal: 295 miles)

http://www.gwrr.com/operations/railroads/north_america/st_laurent_atlantique_railroad

This was CN's Grand Trunk line to Portland and had passenger service into the mid 1960's. Old Orchard Beach and the Maine seacoast are still popular destinations for Quebecois. Also, this line is near the Mt. Washington Valley summer and winter ski resorts.

Interesting, although this route travels a lot more distance in Canada so it would probably require a stop at the border and maybe VIA crews and a VIA train number in Canada (like the Maple Leaf). You'd at least have to stop in Sherbrooke because it's a big enough city it would be dumb not to, but that would mean you couldn't use the pre-clearance facility at Montreal.

As I posted earlier in the thread, VT submitted a TIGER IV grant application for $11 million total with $3 million in state matching funds to rehabilitate the tracks north of St. Albans to the border. The odds of being selected are long with over $10 billion in total applications for $500 million of FY12 TGER IV funding, but VT is willing to put up $3 million of state money. The 2013 VT state budget which appears to have benn passed has $6 million to provide state matching funds to access the long standing Sen. Jeffords earmark for track upgrades to the western corridor.

A google search turned up the minutes of the Feb. 29, 2012 meeting of the Vermont Rail Council (PDF Link) which had multiple VTrans and 4 Amtrak personnel present. There were discussions about the plans for the western corridor extension and/or reroute of the Ethan Allen and Vermonter, including extending it to Montreal. Quoting from the meeting minutes:

"Rep. Aswad asked the target date for passenger rail service to Canada. Chris Cole replied three years. Pre-clearance issues are being resolved presently. Costa Pappis added the targeted speed for passenger rail is between 59-79 mph and the Canadian National cannot handle that right now."

So you could get a Vermonter that has a smooth ride with 60 and 79 mph speeds in VT to the border and then a lot slower and bumpy in Canada to Montreal.

This was CN's Grand Trunk line to Portland and had passenger service into the mid 1960's. Old Orchard Beach and the Maine seacoast are still popular destinations for Quebecois. Also, this line is near the Mt. Washington Valley summer and winter ski resorts. [/size]
That is the route for a proposed Portland to Montreal train that is one of the service expansion options being studied by Maine. There was a public meeting view graph presentation on it from 2011 that is available on the net somewhere. As I recall, pretty much of an obvious non-starter requiring hundreds of millions to restore the tracks to decent passenger train speeds for a proposed once a day train. Then there is the problem of customs inspection for a passenger train at an isolated border crossing.

Interesting, although this route travels a lot more distance in Canada so it would probably require a stop at the border and maybe VIA crews and a VIA train number in Canada (like the Maple Leaf). You'd at least have to stop in Sherbrooke because it's a big enough city it would be dumb not to, but that would mean you couldn't use the pre-clearance facility at Montreal.
Would it be possible to pre-clear passengers at Montreal and seat them in a sectioned-off car (I've seen barriers in the vestibules sometimes) until after the border? You'd still need to stop at the border, yes--but the only ones who would need to be processed would be those who boarded after MTR. Should make the stop a lot faster.

http://www.gwrr.com/...ntique_railroad

Would it be possible to pre-clear passengers at Montreal and seat them in a sectioned-off car (I've seen barriers in the vestibules sometimes) until after the border? You'd still need to stop at the border, yes--but the only ones who would need to be processed would be those who boarded after MTR. Should make the stop a lot faster.
Seems like a probable mixed bag. Considering that you're probably looking at 2-3 hours of running on the Canadian side of the border, it seems to me that you'd have that barrier in place for a long time. Mind you, if it was just Sherbrooke subject to this, that wouldn't be as much of an issue...but it still seems like a potential mess if Quebec starts wanting more stops.

The customs inspection issue from what I know is not (directly) the number of passengers, but that there would have to be a custom inspection performed at the border both ways. At an isolated border crossing. The distance is too far from Montreal with multiple stops in Canada and the US for pre-clearance and sealing of passengers over the Portland to Montreal route to be practical.

Found a link to the MaineDOT Lewiston/Auburn/Montreal Passenger Rail Study report from August, 2011. The Portland to Montreal concept was for 2 daily round trips with a trip time of 7:20 assuming a layover of 90 minutes for customs in both countries. The good was the predicted ridership of 200K per year. The not so good is the estimated construction costs of $676 to $899 million and the expected 29% to 32% farebox recovery. I think a restoration of a Portland to Montreal train is possible someday, but not until after many other improvement and service expansion projects in Maine and New England are accomplished.

A brief check of air fares shows that for 1+ week in advance, the prices for direct Logan to Montreal flights are pretty high. The less expensive, but longer connecting flights are through JFK, PHL, Detroit, etc. The high prices for direct flights may be due to post Memorial Day travel.
About five years ago I had to cancel a YUL-BOS roundtrip booked at relatively short notice (~ 2 weeks) with Air Canada. I was refunded the full fare as credit for future travel, and it was sufficient to cover the entire cost of a London (England) > Montréal / Chicago > London trip a year later :D

News update on the efforts for the Customs facility in Montreal on the Railway Age website. Excerpts from the news article:

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Charles Schumer, (D-N.Y.), and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) are urging U.S. and Canadian negotiators to reach quick agreement to allow Customs security clearance for Amtrak to take place in Montreal's Gare Central. That would immediately benefit Amtrak's Adirondack, linking New York and Montreal via New York State, which currently suffers extensive delays at the U.S.-Canadian border near Rouses Point, N.Y....

The “approval for pre-clearance in Montréal would lay the groundwork for a dramatic improvement of service on Amtrak’s Adirondack line, mark the first crucial step in bringing Amtrak’s Vermonter back to Montreal and, more generally, help increase ridership on the entire Northeast Corridor," the letter said.
The letter, signed by the four Senators, was sent to Secretaries Clinton (State Dept) and Napolitano (DHS). A joint letter from four US Senators does carry weight, especially since this is from Democratic Senators (ok, Bernie Sanders is an Independent but he does caucus with the Dems) to a Democratic administration. Should provide a poke in the ribs to the upper level bureaucrats to get the agreements done.

A copy of the press statement and letter can be found on Senator Gillabrand's webpage (and I expect the other 3, but they all will have the same letter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back