Union Pacific reputation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
Hi - I would be interested in comments as to the story I'm going to relate having to do with Union Pacific and a job that I attempted to apply for last year. I was employed for many years for a commuter rail agency in the East. In late 2001 we ended up in an ugly disagreement, which will not be discussed here, and in early 2002 I resigned, among much bad feeling. That is another story. Over four years later, and some lousy jobs, I am now a tour bus driver and guide here at Grand Canyon National Park. I am pleased to say that I love this job and intend to be here for awhile.

What I did in resigning from my former employer was certainly controversial and financially not a great idea, although the previous sentence pretty much negates that. I have tried to re-enter railroad employment and an Amtrak employee in South Carolina urged me to apply to Amtrak, to which I have submitted numerous applications. I can truthfully say that I was treated reasonably well by Amtrak staff, with compliments for courtesy and professionalism made to the lady in charge of Human Resources in Seattle. However, that has ended in frustration and I am well aware of all the problems with Amtrak, upon which I do occasionally travel. Early last year I also applied online to Union Pacific for several clerical positions in the west. In June of 2005 I received a phone message from UP inviting me to a job hiring session on July 1 in Roseville, California. I decided to take off several days from work here at the low paying job I was currently working at Grand Canyon, and drove nearly 900 miles to Roseville, near Sacramento. I arrived at the hotel meeting room early that morning in jacket and tie ( a rarity! ) with half dozen others and we sat in silence.....nobody appeared to run the meeting. One man finally made a phone call. He was told that the meeting had been cancelled. I asked to use his phone to speak to the person on the other end of the line and was told that we had all been notified that the meeting had been cancelled. None of us had received any phone messages to this effect - apparently the original count for the meeting was 17 or 18 people. The seven of us had been told nothing - the other six were from the local area, and I was the lone bird who had travelled a long distance. I left in a rage, drove to San Francisco for the night to enjoy myself ( make lemonade. right? ) and while there fired off three letters to UP top brass in Omaha demanding some reimbursement for my time and trouble. After two weeks with no answer to my certified letters, I fired off another set of letters and finally received from Barbara Schaefer, VP Human Resources, a letter of " apology. " She said I could call her to further discuss the matter, which I did. She became very defensive and refused to offer me any money. In my opinion, they screwed up and the fact that seven of us showed up that day, plus the hotel had not been notified that the meeting room was not needed, confirms this. But she would not hear any more of this. I have never pursued the matter, as I have not had the time or resources to show up in court elsewhere for something that cost me several hundred dollars that at the time I did not need to spend. I did send three letters to Congressmen, only one of which replied. ( John McCain ) saying this was for UP to handle. I sent his letter to Omaha, with no reply. Some people thought I was making a ridiculous request. I am also not that dumb to understand that Ms. Schaefer probably would have been in hot water if she had disbursed any funds to me, for a situation that rules probably do not cover. Ethically, I feel I should have been entitled to something, but we all know about corporate ethics! So, I got a raw deal, the Company did not care, and what else is new? In conclusion, IMHO, UP stinks.

I have heard from a former official of Denver and Rio Grande Western whom I know that UP management does not care, although he would have felt much as I did. I meet lots of people here in the National Park, and a retired plumber for Southern Pacific in the Sacramento area told me how UP made a mess of their job situation. From information gleaned from websites like this, UP is a callously run outfit that cannot handle very well the amount of freight train business, and we are well aware that they do a not so hot job of moving Amtrak trains over their trackage.

I have felt like venting and asking for feedback about my story, but I am still aggravated about it a year later, although it is fruitless to pursue that matter - it is now history and I feel blessed to have the good position that I now have. Your comments, please, on Union Pacific and they way they handle business.

Well it seems as though UP's core problem these days is that the management running the show simply does not care about its employees, public relations, or anything of that sort, just profit margins. BNSF unlike UP has a much better record for employee relations, as well as relations with Amtrak and the public. And the reason for this starts at the top with BNSF CEO Matt Rose. Matt is pouring millions into BNSF's infrastructure, something UP can't even dream of. The Transcon really exemplifies the way railroading can and should be today. Hundreds of train moving over Double Track CTC at high speeds in perfect harmony with passenger trains.

battalion51 said:
Well it seems as though UP's core problem these days is that the management running the show simply does not care about its employees, public relations, or anything of that sort, just profit margins. BNSF unlike UP has a much better record for employee relations, as well as relations with Amtrak and the public. And the reason for this starts at the top with BNSF CEO Matt Rose. Matt is pouring millions into BNSF's infrastructure, something UP can't even dream of. The Transcon really exemplifies the way railroading can and should be today. Hundreds of train moving over Double Track CTC at high speeds in perfect harmony with passenger trains.
I think we all pretty well agree that Union Pacific sucks....In fact, their own website has the ridiculous statement that they are #1 and (smaller letters)

top 25 in military employee's. Well , I suppose they are #1 in many peoples book.

A quick comment about something I saw this morning.

I was driving to my Texas Panhandle home from the Austin area when I intercepted a freight train that was at least 2 miles long. (At least it seemed to be) and even at 80 mph it took awhile for me to catch up to the engine's. This train set was made of the flat cars with large Land/sea containers stacked 2 high and being pulled by three engines of which I don't know their types. The thing that surprised me was the logos on these engines. I'm used to seeing the BNSF equipment but this train set

Was a BNSF, Norfolk Southern and Union Pacific . It may be a common thing

in many places but I haven't seen it around here.

Anyway, it seemed pretty efficient in the amount of freight that was being moved.....

Im going to school in omaha right now, but i think i want to get a job at BNSF and not UP, which is based in omaha.

Boxcar Dummy said:
A quick comment about something I saw this morning.I was driving to my Texas Panhandle home from the Austin area when I intercepted a freight train that was at least 2 miles long. (At least it seemed to be) and even at 80 mph it took awhile for me to catch up to the engine's. This train set was made of the flat cars with large Land/sea containers stacked 2 high and being pulled by three engines of which I don't know their types. The thing that surprised me was the logos on these engines. I'm used to seeing the BNSF equipment but this train set was a BNSF, Norfolk Southern and Union Pacific . It may be a common thing

in many places but I haven't seen it around here.

Anyway, it seemed pretty efficient in the amount of freight that was being moved.....
Well it's not uncommon at all for railroads to use each other's power, very common in fact. They do have to pay the owner for the use of the engine as you can imagine, and the power desk's of the various railroads avoid it where possible, but sometimes it's inevitable. At any rate BNSF does have a very well noted record of putting a very decent amount of power on their trains, especially their high priority trains. I was talking a few months back with a CSX Engineer who commented about a train that passed us with three CW6000AC's online (or Hammer's as they are otherwise known) and how you have to be careful not to pull the train apart. At any rate a Conductor and I noted how BNSF will regularly run that much horsepower or more on its trains and how they don't have issues. But I think the results of seeing 18,000 horsepower and how well it accelerated out of Folkston was proof that it can and should be done.

battalion51 said:
Well it seems as though UP's core problem these days is that the management running the show simply does not care about its employees, public relations, or anything of that sort, just profit margins.
I am very suprised that the 844 and 3985 are still operating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back