Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanNebraska

Service Attendant
Well, when i got to union station i took some pictures of the grand waiting room and all, but all and all, i noticed the station is by far to crowded and needs alot of work done and new space.

They have alot of space but they keep people in this small crapped waiting room while waiting to board the train.

I have heard that amtrak moved out all of there offices from the old building and the for most part half of it is rented out. Either way, the station I think needs some updating.

I have to agree with you. The waiting room is cramped. I don't think the Grand Hall is very crowded. At least it hasn't been the times I've been there.

The offices were upstairs a few years back. I don't know where they are now.

I think it was remodeled 15 years ago or so. Maybe it's time for them to take another look at what they can do with the room they have.

Plan to be in the station at rush hour if you want to see crowded. At the evening rush it is all most one way traffic going out to metro gates. I always plan to be outside to people watch at rush hour when we are in Chicago. Like ants to the hill, then they all dissapear underground. :eek:

Well, when i got to union station i took some pictures of the grand waiting room and all, but all and all, i noticed the station is by far to crowded and needs alot of work done and new space.
They have alot of space but they keep people in this small crapped waiting room while waiting to board the train.

I have heard that amtrak moved out all of there offices from the old building and the for most part half of it is rented out. Either way, the station I think needs some updating.
Offices are at Van Buren and Canal, now. (I spent 3 weeks there for training!) I think they moved there in the late 90's?? I could be mistaken about that.

I did once spend time in the waiting room before my trip to NOL during furlough. It is rather small and even a bit outdated I'd say. I think the Greyhound station is more modern! :) Amtrak does own the station and there is space they rent out where their offices used to be. But I think it's too far away (as well as on a higher floor) from the gates to be a potential waiting area. Maybe someday they'll try to expand. The Metro Lounge is much more pleasant. I did get to see it during a training tour.

To anyone out there who is not familiar with Chicago's Union Station, it is not used solely by Amtrak. There are also commuter trains going into and out of Union Station almost 24 hours a day. People from Chicago and the Metropolitan area take these commuter trains to work every morning and they take them home every evening.

I don't know how many use these trains, but considering the Chicago Metropolitan area has more than EIGHT MILLION people, I'd estimate that probably 100,000 people use the commuter lines daily.

Does anyone know the number of commuters to and from Union Station?

It's an ideal place for people watchers and they probably do look like a bunch of ants.

Amtrak does own the station and there is space they rent out where their offices used to be.
Amtrak owns Chicago Union Station?
They own a couple/few others as well. My memory fails me which ones, though. Baltimore and New York Penn Stations I think. DC maybe??? Somebody here will know for sure. I would think they have a decent rental income from Metra and everybody else who resides in CUS...but it's probably a drop in the bucket.

Off topic but will amtrak own Moynihan Station (new penn station) as well?
No. Which is why Amtrak has refused to move into Moynahan station, as they would have to pay rent. So instead New Jersey Transit is going to waste their money and move into Moynahan, unless someone stops the insanity.

No. Which is why Amtrak has refused to move into Moynahan station, as they would have to pay rent. So instead New Jersey Transit is going to waste their money and move into Moynahan, unless someone stops the insanity.
OH that is nuts ... Amtrak needs to own that station.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?!?!?!
Nope, I'm very serious. Amtrak will not be moving into the new area, if and when it ever gets built. New Jersey Transit will take over that space once it is ready. Amtrak will remain where it currently is, maybe they'll take over some of the current NJT space perhaps, and the LIRR will remain on the lower level of the current station.

There have been plenty of news stories about this deal, but I suspect that many of them are now in paid archives. However, here is NJT's press release on the deal.

November 21, 2005NJT-05-153

NEW YORK and NEWARK, NJ — Moynihan Station Development Corporation has executed a Memorandum of Understanding with NJ TRANSIT that will enable NJ TRANSIT to become the anchor rail tenant at the new Moynihan Station on 8th Avenue in New York City.

Both the Moynihan Station Development Corporation (MSDC) Board of Directors and the NJ TRANSIT Board of Directors approved a Memorandum of Understanding permitting NJ TRANSIT to negotiate a 99-year lease for 35,000 square feet of exclusive space designated for passengers, customer service, and transportation support.

“We are pleased that NJ TRANSIT will be our partner in Moynihan Station. We think they will be an excellent tenant. We will benefit from their years of rail experience and they will benefit from a new station that can accommodate their growth,” said Charles A. Gargano, Chairman of the Board for both MSDC and its parent corporation, the Empire State Development Corporation.

“The new Moynihan station and the new 34th Street station will give us room to accommodate forecasted ridership growth and provide New Jersey commuters with better access to train platforms and the street,” said NJ TRANSIT Board Chairman and NJ DOT Commissioner Jack Lettiere. “As the anchor transportation tenant in the new Moynihan station, our passengers will benefit from expanded customer service, retail and restaurant amenities, as well as relief from overcrowding at Penn Station New York.”

Under the agreement, the intent is for NJ TRANSIT to exercise operational control of the new station, and NJ TRANSIT will integrate the new facilities on Eighth Avenue with both its existing platform and station operations under Seventh Avenue in Penn Station, as well as the planned multi-level station under 34th Street as part ARC. NJ TRANSIT is expected to pay MSDC $2.3 million annually for the exclusive space.

“This agreement is an important step forward for ARC, which is a top transportation priority for New Jersey. It will enable us to improve capacity and reliability for today’s commuters as well as ensure our continued mobility and economic growth,” said New Jersey Governor-Elect and Senator Jon S. Corzine.

ARC features the new Trans-Hudson Express (THE) Tunnel as its centerpiece and together with added track, station and train storage facilities will double trans-Hudson rail capacity to meet peak period demand for service between New Jersey and Manhattan—projected to surge to 86,000 passengers by 2025. One of the first phases of the program includes extending existing Penn Station to better vertical circulation, including access to Moynihan Station.

"This is a big step for New Jersey commuters," said Senator Frank R. Lautenberg. "By ensuring that New Jerseyans continue to have convenient access to Manhattan, NJ TRANSIT is helping our economy stay strong. My friend and former Senate colleague Pat Moynihan would be proud."

In presenting the MOU for Board approval today, NJ TRANSIT Executive Director George Warrington noted that the Moynihan station rail facility is ideally located not only

for access to existing Midtown destinations, but also as an anchor in the planned redevelopment of Midtown Manhattan and the west side.

Moynihan Station will feature improved access to platforms; reduce delays and dwell time for all rail users; and alleviate congestion by increasing passenger capacity and circulation. The Moynihan Station project will create an expansive 300,000 square feet space for the train station itself, 850,000 square feet for commercial space and up to one million square feet of air rights for a residential housing tower across Eighth Avenue. The Post Office will continue to occupy 250,000 square feet in the building.

According to MSDC, it is estimated that the Station and residential tower to be built at One Penn West will create more than 10,000 temporary construction jobs and more than 3,300 permanent jobs. When completed, this project is expected to generate more than $50 million in annual tax revenue for the City and State. It is expected to cost $818 million to build.

“Improved and expanded rail passenger capacity is critical to our regional mobility going forward and is a vital part of the ARC program which we are fully committed to advancing,” said Port Authority of NY & NJ Chairman Anthony Coscia.

The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) is currently reviewing NJ TRANSIT’s application to begin preliminary engineering of THE Tunnel project, as well as the Draft Environmental Impact Statement. Once the FTA review is complete, public hearings are expected to begin early next year.
The full press release can be found here on NJT's website.

This is probably a dumb question . . . but would the two stations in NYC use the current Penn station platforms, or would their be new platforms for the new station. IIRC the new station be accross the street from Penn . . . or neaby. So im thinking two sets of platforms.

OK this is just stupid, Penn station has always been intercity rail with grand central being commuter, atleast since amtraks inception. This is NOT what the late Moynihan invisioned when it wanted a new Penn Station Built. The money should have been given to amtrak in grant form and NJtransit should use the old penn station.

Basically Amtrak is just getting shot in the foot and still has to use the old crappy penn station while NJtransit gets a new station. So much for modernizing the system to accomate for more HSR trains.

OK this is just stupid, Penn station has always been intercity rail with grand central being commuter, atleast since amtraks inception. This is NOT what the late Moynihan invisioned when it wanted a new Penn Station Built. The money should have been given to amtrak in grant form and NJtransit should use the old penn station.
Basically Amtrak is just getting shot in the foot and still has to use the old crappy penn station while NJtransit gets a new station. So much for modernizing the system to accomate for more HSR trains.
Not really. Amtrak used Grand Central for its trains to the north until the 1990s, IIRC. As for "Penn station has always been intercity rail..." commuter trains have used that station since forever.

I recall reading comments on another forum some time ago that the new station will actually be less convenient to Amtrak passengers, as it would require further walking from the waiting area to the trains. I don't know if I'm misremembering the details or what. If that is true, then Amtrak should want nothing to do with the new station.

The current Penn Station isn't bad (at least, it didn't appear that way the couple of times I've been there), it's just crowded.

Plan to be in the station at rush hour if you want to see crowded. At the evening rush it is all most one way traffic going out to metro gates. I always plan to be outside to people watch at rush hour when we are in Chicago. Like ants to the hill, then they all dissapear underground. :eek:
I had a similar experience in London's Waterloo station a few years back. At about 5:00 pm, I was waiting for my train on a bench next to the exit to the underground (subway). I was amazed to see a constant flow of people coming up on the escalator and stairs and into the main hall of the station. 20 minutes, non-stop people.

Rick

This is probably a dumb question . . . but would the two stations in NYC use the current Penn station platforms, or would their be new platforms for the new station. IIRC the new station be accross the street from Penn . . . or neaby. So im thinking two sets of platforms.
Steve,

In order to answer your question I have to set the stage by telling you how things are aligned right now. So with that in mind, the current Penn Station sits in between 7th and 8th Avenue's and in between 31st and 33rd Streets. The Farley Post Office, which in theory will become Moynihan station sits between the same two streets, but in between 8th and 9th Avenues or if you prefer, directly across 8th Ave from Penn Station.

Now moving underground, Penn has 21 tracks available for service. Tracks 1 - 4 are used exclusively by New Jersey Transit and tracks 18 - 21 are exclusively used by the LIRR. Tracks 5 thru 17 are shared by Amtrak, NJT, and the LIRR. As things currently sit platforms 3 thru 11, which serve tracks 5 - 21, all extend under 8th Ave and therefore under Farley. Three platforms 5, 6, & 7 reach almost all the way to 9th Ave, while the rest end at various points west of 8th Ave, with #11 just barely extending past 8th Ave.

This is why the idea to move Amtrak into a remolded Farley building was originally envisioned. Amtrak as a general rule uses only platforms 4 - 8, all of which extend at least halfway to 9th Ave. So to make the new area work, all that would have been needed below ground would be some new stairs, escalators, and elevators. This is the plan that Warrington agreed to back when he was president of Amtrak. It may have even been one of the reasons that he decided that he could mortgage the current Penn Station.

When David Gunn took over Amtrak, he saw the insanity of paying rent as well as some serious money to decorate and move from the existing facility, when he could just stay right where he was rent free. That killed that deal, so the group responsible then tried to court the LIRR and their parent company the MTA. The LIRR said no thanks, as they were quite happy where they currently are. In fact they have spent considerable monies fixing things up in their current location. They also realized that they serve commuters and commuters want to be close to the subways at 7th Ave and 8th Ave. Amtrak’s long distance customers would have cared less about the subway issue as they tend to wait in the station longer than commuters, which was why Amtrak was a good match with Moynihan.

So things basically hit a standstill regarding Moynihan, until George Warrington now president of NJT stepped back into the picture. I can only imagine that he sees this grand station as his legacy, since he's now committed two different RR's to using it. Of course he completely disregarded the LIRR's conclusion that the new station is too far away from the 7th Avenue subway. He also disregarded the $125 Million dollars that NJT just spent building a new waiting area and ticketing area in the current Penn Station. All that money to a large extent will have been wasted now, since they will most likely abandon that area when they move across the street to Moynihan.

This new concourse area is just approaching its 4th birthday and if things go as planned will basically become useless before it ever reaches its 10th birthday. Yes NJT may still maintain it from the point that one can board and exit trains there, but I can't imagine that they will continue to staff the ticket windows and they'll probably close the waiting area. So they will basically have wasted the $125 M spent on that new area.

So returning to the tracks and platforms, NJT now has the added problem that platforms 1 & 2 do not extend under 8th Ave to the Farley building. That means that NJT passengers would not be able to reach tracks 1 - 4 from the new Moynihan area. So the track layouts at Penn will have to be changed to accommodate lengthening platforms 1 & 2 under 8th Avenue. I believe that platform #3 serving tracks 5 & 6 will also be lengthened too, I'm not sure if plat #4 will also be lengthened or not.

While the platforms might not have been lengthened if NJT had not agreed to occupy Moynihan, the ladder tracks on the west side of Penn would still have been reconfigured anyhow. The reason for that is in part to fix many of the current issues, like all Empire Corridor trains only being able to use tracks 5 - 8, but also to accommodate the new proposed Hudson River tunnels. So in that regard the only money NJT would be wasting IMHO, is lengthening the platforms. All the track work still needs to be done anyhow.

But where NJT is going to find all this money remains the big question. Yes the Fed will contribute a lot, but NJT is still going to have to find some money for the new tunnels, the track and platform work, the new Moynihan area, as well as the completely new station under Macy's that will be needed with the new Hudson River tunnels. And no one seems to know where NJT is going to find this money, especially since they are already spending Capital improvement funds on operating costs.

Whew! I had no idea the trackage was actually that extensive underground. I've never gone into NY by rail. That's like a decent-sized freight switch yard, all underground. And with large, heavy buildings overhead. They must have had some incredibly good civil and structural engineers involved to do all that so early in the last century (and even earlier?) and not have anything collapse. I guess not being in an active earthquake zone is helpful too......

Whew! I had no idea the trackage was actually that extensive underground. I've never gone into NY by rail. That's like a decent-sized freight switch yard, all underground.
That's just the "station" trackage if you will. By the time one includes the first interlockings midway between 6th & 7th Ave's, one could actually claim that the tracks of Penn Station extend from there all the way to 11th Avenue, where the West End Rail yard sits. The yard however is not actually covered by any buildings at this point, although that was where they had tried to build the new Jets Stadium. While that deal fell through, there are still plans to try and build something over the yards.

Hey!!

I resemble that remark...I'm one of those ants who disappear underground to catch my train home!

I'd rather be riding than driving though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back