Upcoming SW Chief Run

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgreenesq

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings all:

The family and I are returning from spending Christmas in SoCal on Amtrak. We are boarding the SW Chief at Fulleron, CA at 7:20 pm, and we are in a bedroom. Anybody know if the dining car will be open for dinner that soon from departure from LA? The last time we did this we were in coach and had to pay for my meals. I ate before boarding, and honestly can't remember if the dining car was open.

Anybody on here know?

Rick

Greetings all:
The family and I are returning from spending Christmas in SoCal on Amtrak. We are boarding the SW Chief at Fulleron, CA at 7:20 pm, and we are in a bedroom. Anybody know if the dining car will be open for dinner that soon from departure from LA? The last time we did this we were in coach and had to pay for my meals. I ate before boarding, and honestly can't remember if the dining car was open.

Anybody on here know?

Rick
If the dining room isn't already open, it should be open pretty soon. Dining times are typically from around 5:30 PM 'til about 9 PM. If I recall correctly, when I took the trip last January, the dining room was available after a brief prep following departure from LAX. I don't think it was open prior to departure at LAX.

I took the Chief from LAX to CHI last May and the diner was getting ready to open by the time we reached Fullerton. My dinner call was at 7:30pm, in fact, and it was open for at least an hour after that.

I had dinner leaving LA ( which would include Fullerton ) a few weeks ago. They served a full, but limited menu, although the LSA kept messing up the reservation times. As soon as you get on and your tickets are collected, I would head straight for the diner to obtain a reservation.

Thanks for the quick responses. Maybe if I have one of those sleeping car attendants that is on top of it, a table for three will be waiting for me when I board.

Rick

Thanks for the quick responses. Maybe if I have one of those sleeping car attendants that is on top of it, a table for three will be waiting for me when I board.
Rick
Let us know how that works out. I hope to be on #4 from LAX to CHI in early Feb.

Yes, the diner will be open after LAX, but before FUL. I will be boarding on SWC from San Bernardino on the 23rd of this month in roomette, but my belly will be full from eating food at the resturant.

Yes, the diner will be open after LAX, but before FUL. I will be boarding on SWC from San Bernardino on the 23rd of this month in roomette, but my belly will be full from eating food at the resturant.
gswager;

There's something to be said about your statement. The SDS menu is getting flat. The Beef a la stew is just that and the "special" of chicken fried steak is the joke of OB crews. Time for a menu change now that they have implemented SDS and management figured out a microwave doesn't work the same as a convection oven. Unless you're a pizza freak we're due some new variety.

Don't take me wrong; I'm very glad to have food but even school lunch rooms change menus more often than Amtrak.

Jay

I wonder why they haven't picked up those high speed convection TurboChef ovens that Subway uses to toast your sandwich in 25 seconds. That would be much better than a nuker and probably even faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why they haven't picked up those high speed convection TurboChef ovens that Subway uses to toast your sandwich in 25 seconds. That would be much better than a nuker and probably even faster.
Well Amtrak does use convection ovens in the dining cars, as well as the Diner-Lite/Diner-Lounge cars, although they are not of the turbo variety.

As for why they don't use them all around on Amtrak, probably because of the cost factor and the size factor.

I rode on SWC from San Bernardino (SNB) last Sunday night. For those who boarded at SNB will get dinner. I'm not sure for those who boarded at Victorville. I didn't eat dinner because I already ate at a resturant, but did ordered dessert :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back