Update: Trains 14(3), 11(2), 777, 796, and 1790 Incident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this earlier in the Coast Starlight Consist thread but just to give a final update:

Train 14(3) departed LAUS (LAX) just over 3 hours late due to what Amtrak called a "minor derailment" as the train was pulling into the station area. The train did not have passengers on board and the time and I presume the same/similar consist was used to continue on 14(3) after it was placed back on the rail.

Train 14(3) ran just over 3.5 hours late as it continued north towards Santa Barbara. Unfortunately train 14(3) then struck and killed a pedestrian (Conductor stated Homeless Pedestrian on the appoach to Santa Barbara Station.

This caused the closure of both tracks into and out of Santa Barbara Station and the subsiquent delay of trains 11, 14, 777, 796, and 1790.

The incident occurred just after 4pm just south of the station. State Street was closed in front of the station as was the main entryway into the station parking lot.

Train traffic began to move again around 7pm. Train 769 completed its run to Goleta Station ahead of the accident and was on the layover siding at Goleta waiting to depart southbound as train 796. Train 1790 was "reversed" back into Goleta station after the long duration of the incident was anticipated. Train 796 was then pulled out of the layover siding and coupled to the northern end of train 1790 and the two departed as one train set using the 796 schedule, just under 45 minutes late. An extra train set was brought out from the yard to LAX to operate the route of train 1790 between LAX and SAN on time.

Train 14 was released from the scene. Train 777 was behind train 14 at the time of the incident. Train 777 was hooked to the rear end of train 14 and both trains are operating as one northbound towards San Luis Obispo. As a result the combined train 14/777 will make the local stops of Goleta, Surf-Lompoc, Guadalupe-Santa Maria, Grover Beach, to San Luis Obispo where train 777 will be disconnected and placed on the layover track for the night. Train 14/777 were released from SBA for a total delay of around 6.5 hours for train 14 and nearly 2 hours for train 777. The combined train was held north of SBA for train 11 to clear the single tracked area at Goleta station.

Train 11 was held north of the Goleta siding to allow space for train 796 to back out then proceed southward again. This is the train I was on. We made up our scheduled time and were due to arrive in SBA about 10 minutes early. We were stopped just after 5:40pm. We were able to proceed southward into Goleta station at approximately 7:30pm. The train stopped at Goleta station to off board anyone connecting to trains 2/22 in LAX. Those passengers and their luggage were off-boarded and they were placed into Taxi's at Goleta to take them the remaining 100 or so miles to LAX to make the connection.

Passengers were allowed to take a fresh-air break at the unscheduled stop at Goleta as well. Those who had rides also off-boarded the train here as well as our destination was SBA, about 10 minutes south down the line.

When I was picked up and heading Southbound on 101 we saw the combined 14/777 sitting on a siding just north of Santa Barbara. Also saw the combined 796/1790 around Ventura.

Interesting arrangement but foward thinking on the part of Amtrak to combine the trains and couple them together. Also it was good they thought ahead to those transfering to trains 2/22 so they could make the connection without holding a whole train for them.

The 14/777 connection worked out because the Coach/Baggage/Cab car end of 777 was facing north so it was coupled directly to the last coach of train 14 for a smooth connection.

Train 796 and 1790 was another story. 796 had the locomotive on the south end and the coach/baggage/cab car on the north end. Train 1790 had the locomotive on the north end with the coach/baggage/cab car on the south end. The train looked funny as it had cab cars on both ends and the locomotives in the middle of the train facing each other. If anyone is out it would make for an interesting picture having two locomotives in the middle of the train facing each other!

Yes... it was a long day for many people. On our train 11 the conductor announced the delay could be up to 4 hours so people began to raid the cafe car until it was raided out. The alcohol was already long gone as it was Super Bowl Sunday. People began to slam the dining car to try to get in for dinner as well given the delay.

All and all though, at the end of the day the trains are moving and people are getting to where they need to go. The only lasting impact (besides that of the fatality on the people involved) will be the progress of train 14(3) and the subsequent turn to train 11(5) if 14(3) arrives really late into SEA.

I'm wondering if there's any way that they would be able to at least restock the cafe somewhere in the Bay Area, since a raided-out cafe for 24 hours is never a good thing.

(Incidental note: This is why I'm going to pack an MRE or two if I ever do a trip through the Rockies in the winter; should that shoe drop, there will be an interesting photo of me at a smoke stop when all is said and done)

On train 11 we were on the way down to LAX so they were trying to get rid of their stock anyway. Though all the hot dogs had "New Orleans" lables with the date on them. Used to Los Angeles or Oakland tags on the CS so that was interesting.

I'd imagine it would be much of the same on train 14 as dinner service most likely started in Santa Barbara and concluded before arrival into SLO. People will probably be grabing up some of the stock before the Cafe Car closes. Hopefully Oakland will have someone there early in the morning to bring the van around to stock up the train for the remainder of the trip!

Right now the predicition is an arrival into Oakland between 3 and 4am. I imagine that will be a bit later unless things improve but it has been bad luck all around so far for 14(3). I do suppose it would be some nice daylight scenery over the Cascades though all the snow they have up there. Though a bit unfortunate for those already on board who have been stuck though the whole ordeal.

Sounds like the Great Dome derailed, was set out, then a Horrizon Coach and / or Private Car derailed as well.

So Metrolink has some track work to do, and the 8th Street yard has some wheel sets to change.

*sighs*
And this is another case of a time I wished I lived out there to get "rare scenery".

Seems like 14 has had quite the wild past few days... 14(31) had a male passenger baracade himself in a sleeper car bathroom and light it on fire. 14(1) I was on... had some nice private cars but no drama as far as I know of. 14(2) struck a car which resulted in a fatality in the vehicle. 14(3) had private cars derail deadheading to LAUS and then struck and killed a pedestrian.

With that said the OTP since train 14 had the schedule change of 8-15 minutes is like night and day. I'm no longer expecting an arrival into EMY late each time as the past few times the train has arrived there EARLY! I was quite surprised when we had to wait in San Jose 40 minutes as we were ahead of schedule!

Were those just attached or were they being delivered for the Snow/Fun train? The cars have been coming in in sets of 2-3 cars a day for the past few days.
The Great Dome and Horizon car were scheduled to be on the first Snow Train this Tuesday, not sure about the private car, or if there even was one.

Amtrak requires every wheel that derails to be changed out, period, so they're probably going to be held up in LA for at least a few days.

Hopefully that won't be a downer for the Snow train. Cars have been coming all week to the Oakland Maintenance Facility. When I return back North I was hoping to take a look at the consist. But it has been very interesting watching the cars on the tail end of 14 this past week and seeing them around the yard.

Estimated arrival for 14(3) is now pushed back to 5am in EMY. An unexpected overnight trip for people who were planning on a day trip. Though most departing on north to destinations of OXN-EMY had tickets exchanged to take Pacific Surfliner train 769 north to SBA to transfer to bus 4769 instead to the Coastal Stops and Bay Area if they opted to for a same day arrival (10:45pm in EMY).

The odd consist arrangements were becase of the derailment earlier in the day, causing some Surfliner sets to "detour" around a wye in and out of LAX.

Otherwise, the engine is almost always pointed away from Los Angeles.

Why does a trespasser fatality delay the train for a whopping 6.5 hours? I understand the mess needs to be cleaned and the cops need to get their paperwork done, but still, that seems like an awfully long time to keep everyone waiting!

Edit: Never mind, just realized the train was 3.5 hours down from LA, then got 6.5 hours down, so 3 hours wasted in trespasser incident, still that's a lot of time sitting idle. I would have run out of patience and arrive a very grumpy passenger :p

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the jist of what our conductor said as we stopped just north of Goleta on train 11:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but our sister train, train 14 left LA 3 hours late today due to an earlier derailment. Unfortunetly to make matters worse as it was coming into Santa Barbara station it fatally struck a pedestrian. As a result that train is stopped on the rail line while the accident is investigated. There is a Surfliner train behind that train waiting to come north and two Surfliner trains in front of us waiting to go south. We are stuck in train traffic at this time as the tracks are still closed at Santa Barbara station. Incidents like this usually take around 2-4 hours to clear. We don't know the exact duration but will attempt to keep you posted. Thank you for your patience.

This is when the mad rush to the Dining and Cafe Cars occurred and people turned on radios to try to hear the Super Bowl Scores. The train was already sold out of Beer long before this which was a cause of complaint for some (Guess Super Bowl Sunday really drains the beer fast). Smokers were getting restless. The announcement was made around 5:40pm. We were about 12 minutes north of Santa Barbara running 10 minutes early.

I'm just thankful that they were eventually able to pull the train up to Goleta so some of us could off board and those on board could take Taxi's to their connections in LA to train 2/22 (Amtrak Paid) or get a breath of fresh air. When we were able to pull into Goleta it was 7:30pm.

But 2-4 hours sounds like their norm. And the Santa Barbara PD had every little thing taped up with yellow crime scene tape and had the roads closed all around the station. Really depends on the investigating agency. Because I agree, in the Bay Area they get in and out in 1-2 hours tops as we get our fair share of Trespassers.

And last Thursday night I noticed a consist at the layover in Goleta that had the engine facing South. But that makes sense now why that could happen. Thanks!

My friend just did a double take of the train as there was a cab car in the front and a cab car in the rear... she had to catch up to it again to take another look to see the locomotives were actually in the middle! I just never thought about a train being powered from the middle with two locomotives facing opposite directions but anything is possible I suppose!

I don't know why an engine would be facing south from Goleta on Thursday.

It didn't strike me until train 790 pulled onto the platform at Goleta with the cab car facing south. Then I realized why was the locomotive sitting next to me facing south on the consist on the layover track? Who knows but at least the trains are push-pull so it can operate either way!

Update on 14(3)... train is between Chico and Redding running about 7.5 hours late give or take. Looks like they should make it to KFS just after lunch and have dinner about Eugene.

It didn't strike me until train 790 pulled onto the platform at Goleta with the cab car facing south. Then I realized why was the locomotive sitting next to me facing south on the consist on the layover track? Who knows but at least the trains are push-pull so it can operate either way!
Update on 14(3)... train is between Chico and Redding running about 7.5 hours late give or take. Looks like they should make it to KFS just after lunch and have dinner about Eugene.
Wonder if they'll turn the train in PDX?

If it does not lose anymore time I'd imagine they would continue it to SEA as the schedule padding will help. If it loses more time that may become more of a possibility, especially if it gets to the 10-12 hour late mark.

Just left Redding 8 Hours late. Pending any further delay, it should hopefully make up an hour by KFS.

Why does a trespasser fatality delay the train for a whopping 6.5 hours? I understand the mess needs to be cleaned and the cops need to get their paperwork done, but still, that seems like an awfully long time to keep everyone waiting!
Edit: Never mind, just realized the train was 3.5 hours down from LA, then got 6.5 hours down, so 3 hours wasted in trespasser incident, still that's a lot of time sitting idle. I would have run out of patience and arrive a very grumpy passenger :p
By law, nobody can do anything at a fatality scene until the Medical Examiner says it is OK. They know that there is a great deal of inconvenience and money involved, but they are charged with determining the cause of death and will stop everything until they are confident they have done all they can.

I saw them again in Santa Barbara today on 14(4) (I'm presuming you meant 14(4) at VNC)... I was in town and wanted to thank them for pulling up during the delay to Goleta to let myself and another few off so our rides could meet us there even though it wasn't a scheduled stop. He basically said I was lucky to have jumped ship when I did and it was a good suggestion to do that! Got everyone off the train for a bit too to stretch, smoke, and calm their nerves! Guess they arrived to LAX around 10:30pm give or take. He was happy to be heading back home to SLO though!

By law, nobody can do anything at a fatality scene until the Medical Examiner says it is OK. They know that there is a great deal of inconvenience and money involved, but they are charged with determining the cause of death and will stop everything until they are confident they have done all they can.
That is true. Though I'm sure as Texas Eagle can attest to... in the Bay Area it again is so common and they have numerous vans in each county that they usually just come in, do a quick (yet still complete and detailed) investigation, and try to clear the scene. Having worked with some of the Deputies assigned to the Coronor's Bureau they often like to clear the scenes quickly as to not call too much attention to what has occurred. This is more so the case in terms of shootings as they usually average about 150+ shooting related fatailities in the county alone every year. Causing attention may tip off rival gangs or what not. Many of the longer closures are due to evidence technicians collecting shell casings and taking photos and what not.

In terms of trains, they do a complete investigation but it is still part of the drill for them and they have the resources available nearby to get a unit on scene quickly and clear it.

Smaller cities and towns tend to take more time as they may only have one Coronor unit working at a time or they may even be on-call. A large amount of the time is spent on getting them there. It may also not be an every-day occurrance so they may take a little longer or need to do additional things.

In either case they all tend to do a very good job in a not so glamorous profession. Main thing is they want to be sure everything is done right.

I know in terms of bus accidents we have certain procedures and we break down the responsibilites so everyone is charged with what to do to streamline the process somewhat.

(Incidental note: This is why I'm going to pack an MRE or two if I ever do a trip through the Rockies in the winter; should that shoe drop, there will be an interesting photo of me at a smoke stop when all is said and done)
What a wonderful idea. I think I'll start doing that on every train I'm on.

-Why does it seem that the 11/14 are constantly having hour long problems? I've been on 3-4 total trips on that route and have always been several hours delayed for one reason or another.

They used to be delayed all the time. With the recent schedule change the OTP of train 14 has improved greatly. Train 11 has been steadily improving and less of a problem than train 14. Today in California Train 11 is on time and Train 14 is within 30 minutes of its schedule. Train 14 should pick up time by San Jose but will have to pull into the Oakland yard to detach two Horizon Coach cars and a Baggage car that are deadheading on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back