Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

pennyk

Conductor
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
MODERATOR NOTE: there were numerous threads regarding upgrade, companion and lounge coupons with posts by members who have coupons available, who are seeking coupons and who have questions. We have merged most of the threads into this one, which was re-titled and pinned. Please note we "locked" some of the older threads (within the last year) where questions were asked and answered and/or all the coupons have expired. Very old threads were ignored. Please post any new requests, etc. in this thread.
Thanks.

MARC Rider

Conductor
I was pleasantly surprised by a change in the Amtrak app that allows you to apply upgrade coupons to your reservation without having to sit on the phone for a long time or stand in line at a ticket counter. the whole transaction was completed with two extra clicks.

Bravo to Amtrak for this improvement to the customer experience.

Acela150

Conductor
AGR members have been able to redeem coupons through the website and app for some time now. Glad to see you were able to find it!

willem

Conductor
Coupons appear to have a unique code. I assume, since this thread exists, that there is no problem with one person using another person's coupon with its unique code. If either of my assumptions are off base, please correct them. If the first assumption (unique code) is correct, would someone please discuss what it means to AGR if a coupon is used by someone to whom it was not issued and what PII (Personally Identifiable Information) concerns might exist? Thank you.

Acela150

Conductor
Coupons appear to have a unique code. I assume, since this thread exists, that there is no problem with one person using another person's coupon with its unique code. If either of my assumptions are off base, please correct them. If the first assumption (unique code) is correct, would someone please discuss what it means to AGR if a coupon is used by someone to whom it was not issued and what PII (Personally Identifiable Information) concerns might exist? Thank you.
Pretty much spot on. AGR allows coupons to be given to friends and or family members, but they can NOT be sold. Selling them is a terms and conditions violation that can lead to your account being closed.

D E K E R

Train Attendant
Hey guys, if anyone has a spare lounge pass, I'm happy to PayPal or Venmo over a few dollars to cover shipping to me. Just in case you've got an extra pass you're not using. Thanks.

supportamtrak

Train Attendant
AU Supporter
I got the Amtrak World Mastercard and they sent me a free lounge pass. Excuse my ignorance, but is it valid for everyone on my reservation or only for me?

pennyk

Conductor
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I got the Amtrak World Mastercard and they sent me a free lounge pass. Excuse my ignorance, but is it valid for everyone on my reservation or only for me?
Does the pass state for whom it is valid (possibly in small print)?

Albi

Train Attendant
Hello, I am new here but have taken quite a few trips on several (different) Amtrak trains since 2012 (immigrant).

Now a client has booked me on the Acela in Business Class, and I read that I won't get access to the lounges unless I upgrade to First. I looked into my reservation under "modify trip" but have not found any option to upgrade my trip. It is registered with my membership number but since I have not booked it myself, it seems it doesn't qualify for an upgrade.

Would a coupon help me?
Does anyone have a spare one?

My trip is on Oct 8 from NYP to WAS.

Or am I missing something? Why don't they offer me an easy way to upgrade, like every airline does?

Acela150

Conductor
Guest Rewards coupons can only be applied within 48 hours of departure or 12 hours of departure depending on the coupon. Since your trip is October 8th you are well outside of those requirements. You also need a coupon. If you want to upgrade the trip now without a coupon you are more then welcome to call Amtrak to do so.

Rasputin

OBS Chief
I tried to PM you but couldn’t figure out how.
You have to click on the ID of the person you want to send the message to. A box will then appear and one of the options will be "start a conversation." Click on that and it will allow you to send a private message.

CameraObscura76

Train Attendant
You have to click on the ID of the person you want to send the message to. A box will then appear and one of the options will be "start a conversation." Click on that and it will allow you to send a private message.
Thank you; I ended up sending the message correctly after all.

BALtoNYPtraveler

Train Attendant
I have a general question about upgrade and companion passes. I used to have many of these and now have none. I haven't been traveling much in the last year, and also I no longer have the BOA Amtrak card (wish I could get another but I cannot.) Is that the only way upgrade and companion passes are issued? (or lounge - but I'm not as concerned about that.) I hope someone can enlighten me, if they know, on WHAT generates these passes and/or coupons. I hope it's not only the BOA card, because I cannot get another.

Bex

Service Attendant
I have a general question about upgrade and companion passes. I used to have many of these and now have none. I haven't been traveling much in the last year, and also I no longer have the BOA Amtrak card (wish I could get another but I cannot.) Is that the only way upgrade and companion passes are issued? (or lounge - but I'm not as concerned about that.) I hope someone can enlighten me, if they know, on WHAT generates these passes and/or coupons. I hope it's not only the BOA card, because I cannot get another.
You get them from achieving status levels. You can see the amounts here: https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/member-benefits.html

You also get one for having the credit card, so that's all you're missing on that one.

neroden

Conductor
[companion coupons may be used for roomettes now] ...that seems to be a change. For the better.

They're also usable on business class and Acela first class (after paying the upcharge, so they're still only *worth* a coach ticket).

This makes companion coupons a lot more usable.

I still haven't managed to use an upgrade coupon, due to the fact that business class is invariably sold out outside the NEC on the routes I travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for -Complimentary Single-Visit Station Lounge Pass holders to access ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounge and Unstaffed Lounge locations.
I am hoping to use the lounge in DC while I wait for my train.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I have 2 companion coupons to give away. I also have one, 12 hour - one class upgrade to give away. Both expire 4/27. I am not on this site 24/7, so please be patient if I do not get back to you immeadiately. I will check my messages every morning and first come, first served.

FreeskierInVT

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone have an extra companion coupon that may be going unused? If so, I would graciously accept one for a trip I may need to take in early summer.

Cho Cho Charlie

Conductor
With the silence here, is it correct to assume that Amtrak (or AGR) hasn't announced any expiration extensions to these coupons?

bratkinson

OBS Chief
Actually, they have announced extensions. I got an email today from AGR that reconfirmed the following: (Note that the email I recieved may not apply to all AGR members account AGR status or number of points and/or coupons in my account.)

Upgrades and Coupons – If you have earned an upgrade, companion coupon or discount coupon, we want to give you additional time to use them. Therefore, we have paused the expiration of coupons currently in your account through September 25, 2020.

Point Expiration – We are pausing the expiration of points through September 25, 2020.

Travel Flexibility – We are waiving change fees on all new or existing reservations made before May 31, 2020, including reservations booked with points, so you can book your future travel with confidence knowing your reservations are flexible.

Maglev

OBS Chief