Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Maglev

Conductor
I was just wondering if anyone has any lounge passes they won’t be using for a trip I am taking to NYC in August. Also in general do you guys think it’s worth the 5000 points it costs to buy single day passes ?
Please send your address via Private Message, and I'll mail you the paper passes. Click on the little envelope on the top right of the screen to the right of your username. There should be a red circled "1" there because I sent you a message.

Last edited:

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
I was just wondering if anyone has any lounge passes they won’t be using for a trip I am taking to NYC in August. Also in general do you guys think it’s worth the 5000 points it costs to buy single day passes ?
Remember that even with the Lounge Pass, you must have a same day Amtrak ticket.

If you are not Traveling the day you want to visit the Lounge, a work around is to buy a One Way Coach ticket on a Late Train from NYP to Newark Penn Station(NWK) for $14, then once you're in the Lounge Cancel it and receive a Voucher you can use for a future trip.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Remember that even with the Lounge Pass, you must have a same day Amtrak ticket.

If you are not Traveling the day you want to visit the Lounge, a work around is to buy a One Way Coach ticket on a Late Train from NYP to Newark Penn Station(NWK) for $14, then once you're in the Lounge Cancel it and receive a Voucher you can use for a future trip.
Just be aware that to use a purchased pass you need to have a Business Class ticket to use the Lounge at NYP.

I believe complementary passes can be used with a Coach ticket.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Just be aware that to use a purchased pass you need to have a Business Class ticket to use the Lounge at NYP.

I believe complementary passes can be used with a Coach ticket.
Thanks jis, I didn't know that since I've never used a purchased pass,( I looked up Biz Class to Newark and saw $24 as the lowest Fare) only ones kindly given to me by AU friends!😁( and of course in the Good Ole Days, one didn't need a same day ticket whether using your Select Plus or Select Executive Card or a Pass to enter the Lounge.

mattcub

Train Attendant
Please send your address via Private Message, and I'll mail you the paper passes. Click on the little envelope on the top right of the screen to the right of your username. There should be a red circled "1" there because I sent you a message.
Thanks I think I figured it out and I just did message back. I really appreciate it

Cal

Engineer
Can select plus passengers bring a companion into the lounge with them using their card?

Cal

Engineer
If you both have a same-day ticket, yes. You don't have to be on the same ticket or even same train.
Okay, because I was trying to get into the LA lounge and the attendant said we both needed to have Select Plus to be admitted.

daybeers

Conductor
Okay, because I was trying to get into the LA lounge and the attendant said we both needed to have Select Plus to be admitted.
Hmm...maybe they changed the rules across the network because they only list guests being allowed under ClubAcela, of which only one is left, in Washington.

This hasn't been an issue when I've gone with guests this year, however, and archive.org shows the current wording was in place back in January.

I'd say it's just bad website wording.

Hello. I am newbie here. Plan to ride Amtrak first time far away from home Georgia to Texas and California and, then straight back home Georgia on September. Any coupons to help me saving money?
Thank you very much.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Hello. I am newbie here. Plan to ride Amtrak first time far away from home Georgia to Texas and California and, then straight back home Georgia on September. Any coupons to help me saving money?
Thank you very much.
Please look into the Amtrak Rail Pass as I mentioned previously. It's the Best Bargain Amtrak has right now for LD Travel.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I have some 10% off coupons.
It should be noted (and correct me if I am wrong), the 10% is only off the rail fare (not accommodation fare) and is similar to the RPA and senior discounts (which discounts cannot be stacked). Please let us know when you have given away your coupons. Thanks.

Living in the Coachella Valley near Palm Springs, I find the AGR coupons practically useless. Most of mine expire without being used. Upgrading from coach to business class saves only a few bucks and since part of my trip is by thruway bus, I have to call in to upgrade, as you cannot upgrade on the website or the app (even though they say you can). Another thing, you can only apply coupons within 24 or 48 hours before departure, depending upon the type of coupon; not always convenient if you are travelling and have no cell service. I rarely travel with anyone, so the companion coupons usually expire, too. Give me a coupon that really means something, like upgrading to sleeper (if you can find one). I would take one of those and trade in 10 that I'll never use.

A final note, probably for a different topic thread: What good is the AGR Lounge Card, if you can only use it if you have a same-day sleeping car reservation. Business Class in many lounges now has a $25 fee to use the lounge in addition to the same-day ticket. Final question: Who are the Guests in the Amtrak Guest Rewards program?

Arson451

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
AGR caters to those who live in the NEC or Chicago. Plenty of lounges along NE corridor, the ability to use the upgrades for business class on the Regionals, upgrades to first on the Acela and the 48 hour window on a route that has at least 16 departures a day. Honestly, Amtrak doesn’t seem to care about anyone outside of the NEC. If I didn’t live in DC I wouldn’t even bother trying to make Select Plus every year.

joelkfla

Engineer
A final note, probably for a different topic thread: What good is the AGR Lounge Card, if you can only use it if you have a same-day sleeping car reservation. Business Class in many lounges now has a $25 fee to use the lounge in addition to the same-day ticket. Final question: Who are the Guests in the Amtrak Guest Rewards program?
As I understand it, you need a ticket for same day travel to get into a lounge using a lounge pass. It doesn't need to be a sleeper ticket.

A sleeper ticket gets you into the lounge without a lounge pass.

daybeers

Conductor
Living in the Coachella Valley near Palm Springs, I find the AGR coupons practically useless. Most of mine expire without being used. Upgrading from coach to business class saves only a few bucks and since part of my trip is by thruway bus, I have to call in to upgrade, as you cannot upgrade on the website or the app (even though they say you can). Another thing, you can only apply coupons within 24 or 48 hours before departure, depending upon the type of coupon; not always convenient if you are travelling and have no cell service. I rarely travel with anyone, so the companion coupons usually expire, too. Give me a coupon that really means something, like upgrading to sleeper (if you can find one). I would take one of those and trade in 10 that I'll never use.
I sympathize with you on the coupon value. Even living on the NEC, I usually am going out of my way to use a coupon. Companion coupons are only valid on Value fares and above, which have gotten much more expensive the past few years, especially compared to the Saver fares that start out cheap if it's enough in advance/Amtrak's yield management allows you to. Upgrade coupons to BC on Regionals are not worth much besides some curtains, a little legroom, an assigned seat, and easier access to the rear window. Upgrade coupons still work on Savers, contrary to what the rules say, so sometimes those are worth it on Acela to get to First, but even then, the trainsets rattle like hell, have mechanical delays every day, and it's still double the price of a Regional any way you slice it, unless you get lucky last-minute, at which point the prices are already absurd.

I would encourage you to offer up coupons here before the next time one expires. There's always someone who will use it.

Oh, and those 10% off coupons? LOLL