Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

daybeers

Conductor
Anyone have any companion coupons they won't use? Trying to book a September trip.
Someone graciously gave me one :)

Also huge update, at least for me: the agent I booked with said the coupon is honored if I called back before the trip and got a lower fare if the price changes. I knew you could change the fare if it dropped, but thought the coupon would be forfeited in that case. Wonderful news!!

Cal

Engineer
If you book a trip with two people, can you add on a companion coupon later and get some of the money back?

Also, I think, but may be wrong, that I heard that upgrade coupons can now be used to upgrade from coach to rooms. Can they be used from roomette to bedrooms?

daybeers

Conductor
1. I think it would be canceled and rebooked at the current fare.

2. I don't think coupons will ever be eligible for upgrades from coach to sleeper. I don't think they're eligible for roomette->bedroom either, but BidUps can do that.

Thanks so much, one person already reached out to me with PM with a code. But quick question - you can apply this on the Amtrak.com site in the Advanced Search section when searching for tickets, right? Oddly, the coupon code field doesn't always show up for me when expanding that section out.

Secondly, does the companion code only work on value fares and not saver fares? I feel like I've read mixed reports, where customer service can apply to any faretype, but on the site, I am only allowed to book "value" rate, which is much more expensive compared to saver. So, it makes no sense in that scenario to use the companion code.

Any help you guys can provide on these items would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much, one person already reached out to me with PM with a code. But quick question - you can apply this on the Amtrak.com site in the Advanced Search section when searching for tickets, right? Oddly, the coupon code field doesn't always show up for me when expanding that section out.

Secondly, does the companion code only work on value fares and not saver fares? I feel like I've read mixed reports, where customer service can apply to any faretype, but on the site, I am only allowed to book "value" rate, which is much more expensive compared to saver. So, it makes no sense in that scenario to use the companion code.

Any help you guys can provide on these items would be much appreciated!
I have dealt with this issue several times and have wasted a lot of time trying to unsuccessfully use companion coupons with saver fares. I finally made some notes to myself so I don't repeat this mistake over and over. My notes indicate: "Companion coupons cannot be used with saver fares."

I don't profess to be an expert in this so corrections would be welcome if I am mistaken.

I have dealt with this issue several times and have wasted a lot of time trying to unsuccessfully use companion coupons with saver fares. I finally made some notes to myself so I don't repeat this mistake over and over. My notes indicate: "Companion coupons cannot be used with saver fares."

I don't profess to be an expert in this so corrections would be welcome if I am mistaken.

So in this thread - Why is my companion coupon not working?

@Bob Dylan said: "I've never had any problems upgrading or using Companion Coupons when booking with AGR( and the Saver Fare,if available, CAN be used with Coupons and Vouchers)"

So in this thread - Why is my companion coupon not working?

@Bob Dylan said: "I've never had any problems upgrading or using Companion Coupons when booking with AGR( and the Saver Fare,if available, CAN be used with Coupons and Vouchers)"
All I can say is that I have been unable to use a companion coupon with saver fares. In my case I was not trying to book with points but I was trying to purchase the tickets. I was on hold for about 2 hours before an agent came on and told me that a companion coupon could not be used with saver fares. If you are able to successfully use the coupon with saver fares, please let us know.

All I can say is that I have been unable to use a companion coupon with saver fares. In my case I was not trying to book with points but I was trying to purchase the tickets. I was on hold for about 2 hours before an agent came on and told me that a companion coupon could not be used with saver fares. If you are able to successfully use the coupon with saver fares, please let us know.

Just spoke with AGR customer service (I requested a callback to avoid waiting on hold) - the gentleman confirmed that companion coupons do not work with Saver fares. Each individual companion coupon is also only valid for a one-way trip, not roundtrip, although he admitted some reps have mistakenly provided wrong info about this to people.

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
Unless you're in Chicago, where BC passengers are allowed to use the lounge 😅

Of course, there's no Acela Business Class running to Chicago. Although I'd be happy to lose lounge access if it meant that there was 150mph rail service out of Chicago!

I am in business class and not eligible for Bid-up, according to the website. If anyone has an expiring pass that they cannot use, I would be grateful. Thanks

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
You can see the latest on who can purchase lounge passes where on this page:

Specifically, as of May 29, 2020 the situation is:

Purchasing Day Passes

Business Class passengers can buy day passes for the lounges at Philadelphia - William H Gray III 30th Street Station and Boston - South Station for $35 per day, or $50 per day at New York - Moynihan Train Hall. Speak with a uniformed employee at those stations for more information.

All passengers can buy a day pass to the lounge in Chicago - Union Station, if it's not already included with your reservation, for $35 per day. Just see a station agent when you get there.

Normal eligibility is:

Who is Eligible for Lounge Access?

Amtrak Guest Rewards members traveling with a same-day Amtrak ticket and valid Select Plus or Select Executive member card.
Amtrak passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations.
Amtrak Business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) may use the lounges in Chicago, Los Angeles, Portland and St. Louis.
Complimentary Single-Visit Station Lounge Pass holders may access ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounge and Unstaffed Lounge locations.
Private car owners/lessee and party between time of arrival and departure specified in the reservation. Provide your reservation number to the Amtrak representative upon entry.
Due to space restrictions, private car owners and their groups are not permitted in the Los Angeles - Union Station Metropolitan Lounge.

Can you use the upgrade certificates in the sleeper? i.e. move from a roomette to a bedroom? Thanks for the help

mattcub

Train Attendant
I was just wondering if anyone has any lounge passes they won’t be using for a trip I am taking to NYC in August. Also in general do you guys think it’s worth the 5000 points it costs to buy single day passes ?

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
Also in general do you guys think it’s worth the 5000 points it costs to buy single day passes ?
Only if I would use all five of them before they expire. I aim to get at least 2.5 cents per point, so 5000 points would be $125, or $25 per pass. They do allow one travel companion or a family, so if I'm traveling with someone that can be useful. But my home station of MSP only has an extremely mediocre first class waiting area, which I'd value access to at about $1, and many of my longer trips are in classes of service that grant lounge access anyways, so I'd probably only use a couple before they expire.

If Amtrak offered a one-pass visit, even for 1500 or 2000 points, I'd consider it in some circumstances, especially if they were digital. But 5 passes is too much for me to use, and it's a bit of a hassle to keep track of the paper passes for a year anyways.