Quantcast

Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

cpotisch

Conductor
I called Amtrak to hold fares on the Cardinal and Lake Shore, and I can say that both USA-RAIL and AGR had no issue whatsoever with applying companion coupons to sleeper travel. So I think the restriction that it's "not valid for sleeper bookings" might just be saying that it's not valid for the room itself, but can be used for Rail Fare.

scrollmaster

Service Attendant
AU Supporter
I wanted to try to use a companion coupon for a bedroom on one of our trips but when I try to access my coupons online to get it's number the site says it's not available. All the other guests reward functions are working but will not let me view my coupons. I tried two different browsers so guess I'll have to call and see if it'll work that way.

cpotisch

Conductor
I wanted to try to use a companion coupon for a bedroom on one of our trips but when I try to access my coupons online to get it's number the site says it's not available. All the other guests reward functions are working but will not let me view my coupons. I tried two different browsers so guess I'll have to call and see if it'll work that way.
It appears that the companion coupons only work for Roomettes (at least online). I’ll call and ask if that’s just a site issue or policy. :wacko:

scrollmaster

Service Attendant
AU Supporter
This is the page it sends me to anytime I try to access my coupon. This is day 2 of this. Is anyone else having this problem?/monthly_2019_01/20190123_184858.thumb.jpeg.de46845a705047e2abedc4ceb178c336.jpeg

Attachments

F900ElCapitan

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporter
This is the page it sends me to anytime I try to access my coupon. This is day 2 of this. Is anyone else having this problem?/monthly_2019_01/20190123_184858.thumb.jpeg.de46845a705047e2abedc4ceb178c336.jpeg
I just checked mine, and it seems to be working. 

cpotisch

Conductor
If you are traveling alone can you use the companion fare coupon for maybe a half price ticket???
The whole premise of it as that you can bring another person along for free, with the payment of one full Adult fare. Otherwise it would really just be a 50% off coupon. Here are the restrictions:

• Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult fare. Free companion and paid travel must be reserved at the same time. The companion and paying passenger must travel together at all times.
  • Each coupon is valid for travel as one (1) one-way reservation. (Doesn’t seem to actually be the case. The phone agent who booked my last trip applied a single coupon to a whole round-trip without any issue)
  • Travel blackout dates apply. 
  • Valid for travel on all Amtrak service except train/Thruway series 7000 – 8999.
  • Free companion offer is not combinable with any discount, coupon, or Amtrak Guest Rewards® redemption travel.
  • The Coupon# is unique to your coupon and valid for one use only. Buying or selling this coupon is prohibited and will invalidate the coupon. Coupon may be transferred to a family member or friend.
  • Offer valid for Coach class and Acela Business class travel only. Upgrade to Business class or Acela First class is available upon full payment of applicable accommodation charges. 
  • Not valid for sleeping car accommodations. (Also doesn’t seem to actually be the case. Amtrak.com and multiple phone agents I’ve booked tickets through have had no issue applying companion coupons to a second passenger’s rail fare)
  • Other restrictions may apply.
So there are those two points that aren’t strictly correct, but everything else does seem to be, so there you are. :)

cpotisch

Conductor
Posted this in the thread for my upcoming New Orleans trip, but it has bearing here.

...I did try to upgrade to a Bedroom on the CONO, since the room itself seemed to be only $50 more for a 20 hour ride, but it turns out that companion coupons only work for Roomettes. I had noticed this online, but thought it was just a glitch with Arrow and that the agent wouldn't have that issue, but I was wrong. I was skeptical when the agent said that at first, but came to accept it upon hearing her read from the agents' official companion coupon restrictions list that it doesn't work for Accessible/Family/Bedrooms. Figures that Amtrak has their own set of different, private coupon restrictions that for some reason isn't visible to customers (she said as such). Sigh.
What is interesting is that it seems like the actual coupon restrictions don't have a "not valid for sleeper travel" restriction, per se. Instead it's just an "only valid for Roomettes" restriction. I don't know why they have two sets of restrictions for the same type of coupon, but there it is. :wacko:

SubwayNut

Conductor
Just booked SOB to FUL in Roomettes round-trip using a friends expiring companion coupons. Could only use the coupon for a one-way ticket (so I booked two one-ways instead of a round-trip and used both up).

Called to try and change are Roomette locations and got an incompetent agent who said it would be $358 more to change the room (on one ticket, I assume change in bucket, and losing the applied coupon).

Its also discrimination that the coupon can’t be used by a disabled passenger for their companion for an accessible bedroom, since they can be used for Roomette bookings and those rooms aren’t accessible.

Last edited by a moderator:

cpotisch

Conductor
Just booked SOB to FUL in Roomettes round-trip using a friends expiring companion coupons. Could only use the coupon for a one-way ticket (so I booked two one-ways instead of a round-trip and used both up).

Called to try and change are Roomette locations and got an incompetent agent who said it would be $358 more to change the room (on one ticket, I assume change in bucket, and losing the applied coupon).
For future reference, companion coupons actually can be applied to round-trips if you call.

And you should definitely call back to change rooms, since you’ll pretty much always get a different agent, and a reasonably experienced one will know that the room number is unrelated to the price, and that reservations can be modified like that without losing the coupon.

daybeers

OBS Chief
I'd imagine the fact that companion coupons can be used for standard Roomettes and not for Accessible Bedrooms, meaning the only accessible sleeper room on Viewliners, is a blatant ADA violation. I'd be willing to investigate this further if someone else agrees.

Rasputin

OBS Chief
I have made a reservation using a companion coupon. Am I correct in thinking that I cannot use any upgrade coupons on this trip since the restrictions say that an upgrade coupon cannot be combined with other coupons? That seems to be the straightforward language of the restriction but since this is Amtrak I thought I would ask. Thanks.

Correct. If you want to upgrade your travel you would pay for the upgrade. For instance your coach fare is free but the Business Class Upgrade fee is paid.

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant
Acela150,

Oh, I would if that were in the budget; the rest of our train travel is on points and we've splurged on some other aspects of this trip to stretch the budget, so the $$$ upgrade just isn't there. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, as Amtrak Coach still beats sitting in traffic on I95 or crammed into a metal tube hurling through the sky. Just figured I'd try my luck either way.

~ ATE

Oreius

Lead Service Attendant
I was trying to book a trip on the Keystone with a companion coupon and it didn’t work. What’s up with this? Is it not valid for travel on the Keystones?

troo troo tcrane

Train Attendant
Does everyone who has an agr account receives companion coupons and/or other coupons? Or is it just for higher levels?