Upgrade coupon questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim1977

Train Attendant
I am going to try to use a one class upgrade certificate for a Tuesday Acela train (in a couple weeks). I don't live close to a station so was going to try for the upgrade on the phone. I know you can do it up to 48hrs beforehand but since 48hrs beforehand would be a Sunday and I heard AGR is not open on Sunday, will that work? Or do you call Amtrak and not AGR to use the AGR coupons?

One other question, if I see availability in first class online before calling for the upgrade, does that mean I should be able to get it or do they hold back some inventory for sales only?

Thanks

Kim

You can do it 48 hours before hand by phone! (That's what I do!
wink.gif
) It's just that you have to turn in the coupon within 48 hours of departure!

I've only done it once, but I think I just called the "regular" 1-800-USA-RAIL number and just applied the H### to the reservation, and exchanged the ticket and coupon at the station on the day of travel!
biggrin.gif

You don't have to call AGR you can just call 1-800-USA-RAIL can speak with an agent and they can process that for you. Just bring the coupon with you when you pick up the ticket(s). You will have to go to an agent you can't print them from a quick-trak

You don't have to call AGR you can just call 1-800-USA-RAIL can speak with an agent and they can process that for you. Just bring the coupon with you when you pick up the ticket(s). You will have to go to an agent you can't print them from a quick-trak
:hi: Are you taking an Amtrak course Stephen? Do you study on AU or are you lucky enough not to have early morning classes? :lol:

Kim,

As others have said, you call Amtrak for that upgrade and not AGR.

Next, in the past if there was a seat available when you called, you got it. The coupon however now states something to the effect that there are times that seats may be limited. I'm not sure if they've actually started doing this or just wanted the ability to limit seats. I can tell you that I was able to do an upgrade for a train last Friday that was basically sold out. There were no regular seats left and only about 6 first class seats left, so that sort of indicates that they aren't exercising that option.

Finally, as you go through the process on the phone a few thoughts. I'm assuming that you've already booked a seat in business class, if you haven't then what I'm about to tell you won't apply. First, be sure to verify with the agent before they start, the price you had already paid for the BC seat. The computer will want to automatically reprice the seat to the current price level. The agent must override that and you'll want to verify that the price is still the same when they're done. Second, the agent will have to credit your credit card back giving you a refund to process the coupon. When you go to pick up the tickets, that agent will want your credit card again and will recharge you at that time for the BC seat, then process the coupon to get you the first class ticket.

Finally, make sure that the agent extends the hold time on the reservation for 2 days. Some forget to do this, and the computer defaults to 1 day. So your reservation would cancel on Monday, the day before you get to the station to pick up your tickets. Personally, I like to ask the agent when they're done to send me a new email confirmation, a trick that I just learned in fact. That new email both confirms that they got the price right and that they extended the hold date for me.

If you find upon getting that email that they didn't get the price right, there is nothing you can do about that by phone. When you go to the station, bring along your original confirmation and have the agent fix it then. They need proof and the phone agent's can't see what the old price was, once it gets changed. If you find that the agent didn't extend the hold date until Tuesday, that you can call back and have fixed and of course you want to do so ASAP.

:hi: Are you taking an Amtrak course Stephen? Do you study on AU or are you lucky enough not to have early morning classes? :lol:
I wish I went to a school where AU was required reading. It would certainly help my GPA :lol:

Thanks Alan for all the advice. I would have maybe thought to verify the price when calling but I would never have thought to tell them that they need to put the reservation on hold for 2 days when processing the upgrade. That seems like something not many people are going to know to do, so I hope calling for an upgrade doesn't cause a lot of people to show up and no longer have any reservation.

Thanks,

Kim

Most agents remember to do it, but there have been people who indeed have shown up to find out that their reservation went bye-bye.

Finally, as you go through the process on the phone a few thoughts. I'm assuming that you've already booked a seat in business class, if you haven't then what I'm about to tell you won't apply. First, be sure to verify with the agent before they start, the price you had already paid for the BC seat. The computer will want to automatically reprice the seat to the current price level. The agent must override that and you'll want to verify that the price is still the same when they're done. Second, the agent will have to credit your credit card back giving you a refund to process the coupon. When you go to pick up the tickets, that agent will want your credit card again and will recharge you at that time for the BC seat, then process the coupon to get you the first class ticket.

Finally, make sure that the agent extends the hold time on the reservation for 2 days. Some forget to do this, and the computer defaults to 1 day. So your reservation would cancel on Monday, the day before you get to the station to pick up your tickets. Personally, I like to ask the agent when they're done to send me a new email confirmation, a trick that I just learned in fact. That new email both confirms that they got the price right and that they extended the hold date for me.

If you find upon getting that email that they didn't get the price right, there is nothing you can do about that by phone. When you go to the station, bring along your original confirmation and have the agent fix it then. They need proof and the phone agent's can't see what the old price was, once it gets changed. If you find that the agent didn't extend the hold date until Tuesday, that you can call back and have fixed and of course you want to do so ASAP.

I called today to attempt to get my upgrade (for trip this Friday). I am confused a bit as the agent did not handle it exactly as you said, Alan. Though he did process the upgrade, he did not credit me back what I paid for the business class ticket and then tell me I would have to pay again on Friday when picking up my first class ticket. Instead, he kept my original payment and just modified my reservation to be first class. I asked him to email it to me, thinking I would receive something that I would take to the agent on Friday and I wanted to make sure it was being held for 2 days like you said. Well, he sent me the email and it just looks like a regular reservation, with bar code at the top, states 1 Acela First Class Seat and has my original payment amount in it. It also has my original reservation number in it (but says this reservation has been modified). So, is this going to work out ok? He said I can scan it at the machine to print my ticket. Does that mean they aren't going to collect the upgrade coupon? Thoughts?

Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
I called today to attempt to get my upgrade (for trip this Friday). I am confused a bit as the agent did not handle it exactly as you said, Alan. Though he did process the upgrade, he did not credit me back what I paid for the business class ticket and then tell me I would have to pay again on Friday when picking up my first class ticket. Instead, he kept my original payment and just modified my reservation to be first class. I asked him to email it to me, thinking I would receive something that I would take to the agent on Friday and I wanted to make sure it was being held for 2 days like you said. Well, he sent me the email and it just looks like a regular reservation, with bar code at the top, states 1 Acela First Class Seat and has my original payment amount in it. It also has my original reservation number in it (but says this reservation has been modified). So, is this going to work out ok? He said I can scan it at the machine to print my ticket. Does that mean they aren't going to collect the upgrade coupon? Thoughts?

Kim
Me thinks the agent processed it wrong - but to your advantage!
smile.gif

If the emailed conformation can be scanned - and it gives you a First Class ticket - DO IT! There is no way for the QT to collect your coupon - so YOU STILL HAVE AN UPGRADE COUPON YOU CAN USE!
biggrin.gif

Me thinks the agent processed it wrong - but to your advantage!
smile.gif

If the emailed conformation can be scanned - and it gives you a First Class ticket - DO IT! There is no way for the QT to collect your coupon - so YOU STILL HAVE AN UPGRADE COUPON YOU CAN USE!
biggrin.gif
Great! I will see what happens on Friday. I have 5 more Acela trips this month so an extra upgrade coupon will be great.

Kim

I'm confused. What is the proper method for booking the ticket.

I have previously made my reservation for BC online, then when I

got to the station, I went to the ticket agent and requested the

upgrade to FC. The agent took my coupon and printed a new FC

ticket for me.

Should I make the booking online, then call for the upgrade or just

call and request the agent to make the booking and then collect the

ticket and surrender my coupon when I get to the station?

I'm confused. What is the proper method for booking the ticket.

I have previously made my reservation for BC online, then when I

got to the station, I went to the ticket agent and requested the

upgrade to FC. The agent took my coupon and printed a new FC

ticket for me.
Well in the past if you had a 2 hour coupon, that was really the only practical choice. If you had a 48 hour coupon, then you could do it either by showing up or by calling.

Should I make the booking online, then call for the upgrade or justcall and request the agent to make the booking and then collect the

ticket and surrender my coupon when I get to the station?
It's really your choice. Calling ahead of time increases the odds of your actually getting the upgrade, whereas waiting till you arrive at the station could mean that all seats are gone. The drawback to calling is that not all agents know how to properly handle the coupons and the fact that you need to have enough open to buy on your credit line to charge the tickets before the credit arrives to negate the first charge.

Of course the fact that not all agents know how to handle the coupons can occasionally work out in your favor. More often than not however, you could end up with either a cancelled reservation or a price increase. Hence my earlier advice on how to do the upgrades by phone.

I have done them successfully in person at the station 48 hours before departure. Once it even worked 48 hours and 5 minutes prior to departure, which frankly, I was slightly surprised about! I wasn't sure if the computer would be sophisticated enough to disallow the transaction until that 47:59:59 time, but I guess not. :lol:

I have done them successfully in person at the station 48 hours before departure. Once it even worked 48 hours and 5 minutes prior to departure, which frankly, I was slightly surprised about! I wasn't sure if the computer would be sophisticated enough to disallow the transaction until that 47:59:59 time, but I guess not. :lol:
My guess its that the computer isn't sophisticated enough. It would be an interesting to see just how far out the agent could process the upgrade. If the code itself is time sensitive or does it just work whenever the agent process it.

I would guess that if there were any time constraints applied in the computer, they would be set right at 48 hours. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, looks like it's just up to the agent to not process them early (which could be real helpful info to have 49 hours out).

I am planning on going to NYP later today to try to get an FC Acela upgrade, 36 hours or so before departure time. Is it necessary to have a printed ticket in hand when I go to the ticket attendant to attempt the upgrade?

If you have printed your ticket already, then I believe you will need to have it with you. That ticket, along with the coupon, will be exchanged for your FC ticket.

If you have not printed your ticket yet, just see an agent and give them your reservation number, and the coupon. They will then print your FC ticket.

If you have printed your ticket already, then I believe you will need to have it with you. That ticket, along with the coupon, will be exchanged for your FC ticket.

If you have not printed your ticket yet, just see an agent and give them your reservation number, and the coupon. They will then print your FC ticket.
Got my upgrade earlier today to FC on the Acela for Tuesday. I did exactly what was mentioned on the second suggestion and walked off with a FC ticket.

Hi, I'm the OP and just wanted to report back after my trip. As to the upgrade for the first part of my trip to WAS, which I upgraded on the phone, the guy on the phone must have done it wrong and in my favor as speculated because I just used the quik trak machine and was able to print my first class ticket WITHOUT turning in an upgrade coupon.

I then visited the counter to upgrade my return trip and did turn in the coupon for that one. So I got 2 first class upgrades on one coupon, a $228 value as the upgrades were selling for $114 at the time.

Kim

Hi, I'm the OP and just wanted to report back after my trip. As to the upgrade for the first part of my trip to WAS, which I upgraded on the phone, the guy on the phone must have done it wrong and in my favor as speculated because I just used the quik trak machine and was able to print my first class ticket WITHOUT turning in an upgrade coupon.

I then visited the counter to upgrade my return trip and did turn in the coupon for that one. So I got 2 first class upgrades on one coupon, a $228 value as the upgrades were selling for $114 at the time.

Kim
Good for you Kim. The Traveler would be proud of your two for one upgrade.

Back