Upgraded

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin L.

Service Attendant
When I reserved my seat on the Empire Builder on the 21st of December using my rail pass, I was forced to pay 77 bucks to "upgrade". They told me that there were no pass seats available, but does this mean that I get something better than standard coach, or I just get a standard coach chair?

Also, I did not know that you could reserve amtrak rides without paying at the same time. So now I can possibly reserve trips in advance, but will they hold reservations unpaid for their 11 months, and you just pay to pick them up?

When I reserved my seat on the Empire Builder on the 21st of December using my rail pass, I was forced to pay 77 bucks to "upgrade". They told me that there were no pass seats available, but does this mean that I get something better than standard coach, or I just get a standard coach chair?
Also, I did not know that you could reserve amtrak rides without paying at the same time. So now I can possibly reserve trips in advance, but will they hold reservations unpaid for their 11 months, and you just pay to pick them up?
no, it's standard coach, I had to do the same thing on 2 legs of pass journey

,they allocate only a certain number of seats for pass users

and as far as i know, you must pay when you reserve . where did you get an idea that you could do that?

My friend just booked 10 segments and bought a usa rail pass by 1-800-AMTRAK, but they informed him that he could not pay by phone, so he'll have to pay in person in Chicago over a month from now.

Kevin, unpaid reservations are held for 7 days only then released. Afterward you would then have to make a new reservation a the then current bucket! If within the 7 days you have a problem and contact an Amtrak agent by phone, you can probably have the reservation further extended at the same bucket unless of course you get the wicked witch of the east! :unsure:

Seriously, I know this can be done because I've had my reservations extended at the same bucket, (rail & room) but I'm not sure they will do this in all cases!

Kevin, unpaid reservations are held for 7 days only then released. Afterward you would then have to make a new reservation a the then current bucket! If within the 7 days you have a problem and contact an Amtrak agent by phone, you can probably have the reservation further extended at the same bucket unless of course you get the wicked witch of the east! :unsure:

Seriously, I know this can be done because I've had my reservations extended at the same bucket, (rail & room) but I'm not sure they will do this in all cases!

Many unpaid reservations here in the East are only held for 3 days.

With the pass, the way it works is that it covers the fare at the lowest fare bucket only. If the bucket is in a higher level (there are IIRC 5 buckets), and you want to ride on that train on that day, you have to pay the difference ("the upgrade") from the low bucket fare to the current bucket fare. But it is still just a regular coach seat.

So this means that the amtrak rail pass, which he was assured would be held until December 21st without payment, is in danger of being voided prematurely?

So this means that the amtrak rail pass, which he was assured would be held until December 21st without payment, is in danger of being voided prematurely?
What I would do to be sure is have a confirmation emailed to me. The heading would show like the heading from my confirmation for next year where the reservation was made on 10/3/08. Suggest to him that he call back to confirm the December date and ask for an emailed confirmation!

THIS IS NOT A TICKET

==========================================================================

Reservation Number Is xxxxxx

Subject To Cancellation Unless Purchased By October 10, 2008

==========================================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definately suggest double and even triple checking that he doesn't need to pay in advance. That said, the rules on reservations made with a pass are different than the normal rules for someone not traveling on a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back