USA Rail Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Physically, you can do it. Depends on how much time you want to spend in each city. If you can't, you must go to the next price level for 30 days.

But I just checked the schedules, and you can make your trip and back with at least 24 hours in each city in 12 days and 6 segments (8 segments are allowed).

The biggest challenge is going to San Francisco as it is not a strip on your route. You well need to go to Emeryville then take a bus to San Fran which either isn't qualified on the pass or will take your last two available legs.

Compare it to pricing ala carte' and a pass may not be the best answer for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the official definition from amtrak - What is a Travel Segment?

"

Amtrak considers a travel segment any time you get on and then get off a vehicle (train, bus, ferry or other allowable leg) regardless of length.

Example 1

Because we don't have a direct route from Washington, DC to Oklahoma, City, OK, you could ride the Capitol Limited train from Washington to Chicago (segment 1), then ride the Texas Eagle train from Chicago to Fort Worth (segment 2) and finally ride the Heartland Flyer train from Fort Worth to Oklahoma, City (segment 3). This journey from Washington to Oklahoma City would use three of your allowable segments.

Example 2

To travel from Spokane, WA to Portland OR, you could ride the Empire Builder train directly to Portland using one segment or you could ride the Empire Builder train to Seattle (segment 1) and then ride the Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to Portland (segment 2). Both journeys take you to Portland but use a different number of your allowable segments.

Each segment booked counts toward the total number of segments permitted for the pass.

"

Does it mean, I should be able to take the longest segments available ? Washington to Chicago, Chicago to San Francisco, San Franciso to San Diego...so on ?

Long as you dont have to change Trains,or Thruway Vans/Busses youre good for a segment from the beginning of the Route to the end! (ie NYP-CHI/1 segment). Segment two would be CHI-EMY (Emeryville), then if you cross the Bay to SFO youd use two more segments on the Thruway Bus, EMY-SFO-EMY(3/4 Segments) then EMY-LAX would be another segment,(5) you would have to change Trains in LAX to a Surfliner to get to SAN, that would make 6 segments total if you followed this route!

The Longest segment that Amtrak has is LAX-SAS-CHI on the Sunset Ltd./Texas Eagle #422, 4 days/3 nights, with an overnight layover on the train in SAS. The Western Routes from CHI are all 2-3 day/2 night Routes, the Empire Builder CHI-SEA/PDX, the California Zephyr CHI-EMY and the Southwest Chief CHI-LAX!These are all 1 segment Routes!

* * * * * * * * * YEAR OLD TOPIC * * * * * * * * * *

I don't understand this segment thing at all and there doesn't seem to be an "idiots" guide to plan the segments.

How do we go about doing it?

Was thinking New York- Savannah - Miami - New Orleans - Memphis - New York.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't quite get these segments.

So I understand a segment is a train (or bus) ride that doesn't involve a change.

So I could catch the CZ from Chicago to Emeryville, and that would be one segment.

But catch the bus from Emeryville to SF, and that's another segment?

That doesn't seem quite proportionate to me.

Next point: Does having a pass entitle me to go to any station and board any train? How do I know there are available seats?

And what about upgrading to sleeper? How does that work.

I can't find an upgrade option on amtrak.com. Does that mean i would have to book through an agent?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't quite get these segments.

So I understand a segment is a train (or bus) ride that doesn't involve a change.

So I could catch the CZ from Chicago to Emeryville, and that would be one segment.

But catch the bus from Emeryville to SF, and that's another segment?

That doesn't seem quite proportionate to me.

Next point: Does having a pass entitle me to go to any station and board any train? How do I know there are available seats?

And what about upgrading to sleeper? How does that work.

I can't find an upgrade option on amtrak.com. Does that mean i would have to book through an agent?

Any help would be appreciated.

the definition per Amtrak for a segment is any on and off once on a route. For example, I am planning on going WOR-TOL-CHI-LAX-FTW-WOR This includes 6 seperate segments, WOR-TOL, TOL-CHI, CHI-LAX, LAX-FTW, FTW-CHI, CHI-WOR. this is the first section of my 45 day rail pass trip I am doing in April/May of next year.

You cannot just walk up and board the train, after you get your pass, you have to get a ticket that is attached to the pass. For me, I am getting my rail pass in January and will at that time, get as many of the actual tickets that I need to make sure there are pass seats available. If you want an upgrade, you would pay the current price for it anytime, either when you initially get your pass and tickets or before boarding.

So, yeah, a short shuttle like the bus into SFD is a segment.
The answer, of course, is not to use the Pass for these short segments. Only use the Pass where it is worthwhile... unless you have extra segments left over after the main portions of the Trip have been scheduled. Just buy a separate (low-cost) ticket for these short segments.

So, yeah, a short shuttle like the bus into SFD is a segment.
The answer, of course, is not to use the Pass for these short segments. Only use the Pass where it is worthwhile... unless you have extra segments left over after the main portions of the Trip have been scheduled. Just buy a separate (low-cost) ticket for these short segments.
Can I actually buy a ticket for just that bus? I understood it could only be booked in conjunction with a rail trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back