USA Rail Passes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KCM

I'm planning to have a travel by Amtrak this winter. As I am not a US citizen, I want to buy the USA rail passes to accomplish this journey. Here is my plan,

Dec 20 Atlanta to Richmond

Dec 22 Richmond to Norfolk

Dec 23 Virginia Beach to Philly

Dec 26 Philly to Boston

Dec 28 Boston to NYC

Jan 1 NYC to Chicago

Jan 4 Chicago to Seattle

Jan 8 Seattle to SF

Jan 11 SF to LA

Jan 13 LA to New Orleans

Jan 16 New Orleans to Miami

Jan 24 Miami to Birmingham

So I want to buy an East pass 15-day peak of $369 from Dec 20 to January and a National pass 30-day off-peak of $469 since Jan 4. Is it wise to do so? Furthermore, what is the "Explore America Pass"? Is it still available right now? Thank y'all.

Amtrak Never Die.

A concern is Jan 16 and Jan 24. What will you be taking, besides Amtrak, to get from New Orleans to Miami and from Miami to Birmingham?

Hi,

A recent change in the conditions of availability of seats for rail pass users might be a problem for you..

Currently, rail pass holders can only obtain a reserved seat if the lowest "bucket" price is still available at time of booking.. Amtrak prices increase as seats are sold on each train. If you are planning to travel over Xmas and New Year, I imagine that there will be few, if any low price seats available to you.

So you risk buying a peak season pass and not being able to travel. Bonkers or what?

I would think that if you want to risk it anyway, a national 30 day peak pass to start, and a few single point to point tickets would be cheaper than two passes.

It seems mad to me for Amtrak to charge extra for a "peak season" railpass, and then say it can only be used if the train is not busy!

Ed B) - (a past victim of Amtrak's rail pass madness!)

Thank you very much.

By the way, if I make the reservations now and seats are still available, am I possible to take the train on schedule? I mean, will the reservations be cancelled by Amtrak even I have booked it? Thanks again.

I'm planning to have a travel by Amtrak this winter. As I am not a US citizen, I want to buy the USA rail passes to accomplish this journey. Here is my plan,
Dec 20 Atlanta to Richmond

Dec 22 Richmond to Norfolk

Dec 23 Virginia Beach to Philly

Dec 26 Philly to Boston

Dec 28 Boston to NYC

Jan 1 NYC to Chicago

Jan 4 Chicago to Seattle

Jan 8 Seattle to SF

Jan 11 SF to LA

Jan 13 LA to New Orleans

Jan 16 New Orleans to Miami

Jan 24 Miami to Birmingham

So I want to buy an East pass 15-day peak of $369 from Dec 20 to January and a National pass 30-day off-peak of $469 since Jan 4. Is it wise to do so? Furthermore, what is the "Explore America Pass"? Is it still available right now? Thank y'all

Amtrak Never Die.
I would strongly suggest re-reading the schedules, since you have some very complicated routes on your plan. Atlanta to Richmond entails a trip into Washington, DC and then a train transfer to go south to Richmond. Richmond to Norfolk is via bus, not train & Virginia Beach to Philly also entails a bus ride and then transfers to get to Philly. Your January 16th New Orleans to Miami is not possible on the former Sunset Ltd. route since it has not operated since the Katrina problems in New Orleans and Miami to Birmingham is also quite difficult, involving travel north to DC and then south to Atlanta and Birmingham.

I don't know all the rules of the various passes, but the current timetable has all of them in the back pages. I would echo what Caravanman has said - you are traveling at the peak times for almost all trains and you will have a difficult time finding low priced fares during most of your itinerary.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Your idea about buying passes is correct. Availability is not so certain. According to Amtrak, even with a pass, "Reservations for train travel should be made as far in advance as possible; seats available for USA Rail Pass passengers are limited on each train. We do not recommend waiting until the day of departure to make your reservations since there is a greater chance that seats for USA Rail Pass passengers may not be available on your desired train. Non-USA Rail Pass seats may be available at an additional cost." December 19th through the 24th then the 26th through the 30th are my biggest concerns. Many trains are very close to selling out.

With regards to the Norfolk/Virgina Beach excursion, be aware that the green lines on the interactive atlas are bus routes. I believe your pass will work, but don't expect the train to Virginia Beach. As mentioned before, there's a lot of switchbacking, so expect a 26 hour trip - about 19 on the train. Also, with regards to your pass, you may have to have a connection with Amtrak for the bus to be covered, therefore getting to Virginia Beach if you get off the bus in Norfolk may be at your own expense.

The last point, as mentioned, is getting from New Orleans to Miami to Birmingham. You'll just lose one more day as you'll have to go through Washington DC to get to Miami. You'll have to repeat that in the oppositte direction to get to Birmingham.

Couple of questions: What country are you from? (Just curious) Are you going back to Atlanta from Birmingham? How flexible are your dates? Do you have people to meet, or can we re-arrange some of your itinerary? Are you set on starting in Atlanta and ending in Birmingham?

Amtrak's refusal to reinstate service between New Orleans and Orlando is very sad and makes it tough to make a good scenic cross-country trip without seeing the same sights several times.

Hi. I played with the times and dates a little bit, and here is an itinerary I came up with. It all depends on your own flexibility.

If you can start and end your trip in Miami, I think you will experience the least amount of repeat mileage.

Since I don’t know if you are a permanent resident already staying in Atlanta, I’m going to presume that you have some flexibility. The dates are similar.

Depart Miami Dec 20, 08:50 AM

Arrive Richmond Dec 21, 09:18 AM

Depart Richmond Dec 22, 09:45 AM

Arrive Virginia Beach Dec 22, 11:50 AM (Bus Portion Required through Newport News)

Depart Virginia Beach Dec 23, 06:55 AM (Bus Portion Required through Newport News)

Arrive Philadelphia Dec 23, 03:17 PM

Depart Philadelphia Dec 26, 08:20 AM

Arrive New York City Dec 26, 09:42 AM

Depart New York City Jan 01, 10:00 AM

Arrive Boston Jan 01, 02:15 PM

Depart Boston Jan 03, 12:00 PM

Arrive Chicago Jan 04, 09:45 AM

Depart Chicago Jan 06, 02:15 PM

Arrive Seattle Jan 08, 10:20 AM

Depart Seattle Jan 10, 09:45 AM

Arrive San Francisco Jan 11, 09:20 AM (Bus Portion Required through Emeryville)

Depart San Francisco Jan 14, 07:10 AM (Bus Portion Required through Emeryville)

Arrive Los Angeles Jan 14, 09:00 PM

Depart Los Angeles Jan 16, 02:30 PM (Train operates only on certain days - check schedule if you chage from this)

Arrive New Orleans Jan 18, 04:00 PM

Depart New Orleans Jan 20, 07:10 AM

Arrive Birmingham Jan 20, 02:36 PM

Depart Birmingham Jan 21, 02:44 PM

Arrive Atlanta Jan 21, 07:53 PM

Depart Atlanta Jan 22, 08:21 PM

Arrive Miami Jan 24, 06:05 PM

Thank you all so much. You are really very kind and enthusiastic.

By the way, I come from Hong Kong of China. And I'm staying in Birmingham for study. I tried greyhound once, from Baltimore to Washington DC. It was not a long journey, just an hour though, it was really a bad experience. I don't want to talk much about greyhound here, but I wonder whether Amtrak has the similar quality as the dog.

I realize that traveling in peak period is silly, but that is the only chance for me because I will come back home in May 2008 and there will be no long vacation til that time. One thing I still don't understand: If I buy the pass today, go to the train station, provided that there are seats (as I can see online) and I book the train tomorrow, will Amtrak cancel my seat even I made the reservation three weeks before just because there are more passenger in the peak-time? Thank you very much.

Thank you all so much. You are really very kind and enthusiastic.
By the way, I come from Hong Kong of China. And I'm staying in Birmingham for study. I tried greyhound once, from Baltimore to Washington DC. It was not a long journey, just an hour though, it was really a bad experience. I don't want to talk much about greyhound here, but I wonder whether Amtrak has the similar quality as the dog.

I realize that traveling in peak period is silly, but that is the only chance for me because I will come back home in May 2008 and there will be no long vacation til that time. One thing I still don't understand: If I buy the pass today, go to the train station, provided that there are seats (as I can see online) and I book the train tomorrow, will Amtrak cancel my seat even I made the reservation three weeks before just because there are more passenger in the peak-time? Thank you very much.
In that case, I would still stick to my schedule and put Miami at the beginning of your journey. Adjust the days at any particular location to be where you want, when you want.

As for quality, you may find that the equipment on Amtrak is a bit older than the most modern of the Greyhound busses. But for comfort, I don't think ANY form of travel will be more so than Amtrak. Older, but bigger seats, more space to get up and walk around, I think there is no comparison.

Time keeping may not be very accurate; expect delays. So long as you have guaranteed connections, you'll get your seat no matter what - even if it's not on the train you booked.

You should call Amtrak and make your reservations at the same time you buy your pass - that way you will be able to verify if seats are available on the routes you want to take. Once you have a confirmed reservation and it is 'paid for' by the USA Rail Pass, you will NOT lose your seat. It's getting it in the first place that may be difficult. Remember, you might see availability on Amtrak.com, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a particular train will have a seat available for holders of the USA Rail Pass. So, no. If you book your trip now and get reservations for your trains, then you will get to ride, no matter how full the train gets after you buy your ticket.

but I wonder whether Amtrak has the similar quality as the dog.
If the question is comparing greyhound to an Amtrak train, then the train is MUCH more comfortable and spacious than the bus. If the question is whether the Amtrak bus is better than the greyhound bus, it probably varies depending on bus route and who operates the bus. I would ex[pect them to be roughly comparable. I have only been "bustituted" once, for about a half hour's duration, and it was a very modern, up-to-date "motorcoach", comfortable and quiet, but it was very late at night (actually about 2 am) and everybody was pretty tired anyway.
Calling the USA Railpass a "pass" is actually misleading, I think. It's not a "pass" in the sense that you can just show up at the rail station and get on a train. YOU CANNOT. It is a "pass" only in the sense that whatever coach seats you book for the duration of the pass are considered already paid for. After you buy the pass you MUST reserve seats on the individual trains that you intend to travel on. Otherwise you cannot travel. The pass by itself is worthless without a booked reservation on the particular train. This is where we find the problem.

Let's say for discussion purposes that there are 320 seats in the coaches on a particular train. I don't know just how many seats on a particular train are allowed to be sold at the lowest price before the price goes up. For purposes of this discussion, let's assume that Amtrak may only allow 25 seats to be sold at the lowest "bucket" price level. When those 25 seats have been sold, the next 50 seats will sell at a higher price, and then the next 50 at a higher price still, etc. A railpass seat MUST be a "lowest bucket" price seat. So after 25 of the 320 seats on that train have been booked by other travelers, a railpass holder CANNOT reserve a seat on that train with his railpass, even though there may be 295 unsold seats, because those 295 unsold seats are now selling for more than the lowest price. Personally I think that is a ridiculous policy by Amtrak, but I don't run the company.

If you are planning to travel during a time when most or all of a given train's coach seats are usually sold, (around any popular travel holiday, especially) it is absolutely mandatory that you as a railpass traveler buy the "pass" AND reserve your seats, on all those trains, very, very early. Many months in advance, in fact, so that you will have the best possible chance of actually being able to reserve the seats that you need, with your pass. And even then, you may have to move your travel days up or back by a few days on each train in order to find a day that still has railpass seats available. That, in turn, means you may be spending more or less time at each intermediate destination than you had planned to, or you may have to actually pay extra, to reserve a higher-priced seat on one or more trains during your journey, because railpass seats were not available on those trains for those dates, in order to actually complete your planned journey.

I hope this helps make more sense out of the railpass situation. The railpass isn't really a "pass" - the way Amtrak is currently administering it, it's more of a "hunting license" for cheap coach seats, not a "pass". And I think they need to re-think what they are doing with it, to, at the very least, include a policy that says that if a railpass holder has successfully managed to reserve most, but not all, of his planned itinerary, with eligible seats, Amtrak will allow that "lowest bucket" rule to be bent sufficiently for that pass holder so as to avoid gaps in his or her travel.

The point is that if you can obtain the reservations by booking early, then they are yours to keep. You can make reservations by phone or at the station.

Remember to make reservations for the whole trip. You can get a refund if you are not able to make your all reservations, but only if you dont use the pass for travel at all. (No partial refunds) Please let us know how you get on !

Ed B)

"Depart Birmingham Jan 21, 02:44 PM

Arrive Atlanta Jan 21, 07:53 PM

Depart Atlanta Jan 22, 08:21 PM

Arrive Miami Jan 24, 06:05 PM"

How does one travel by Amtrak from Atlanta to Miami?

The phrase, "you can't get there from here", applies frequently to destinations from Atlanta.

Thank you very much, especially for caravanman, haolerider, VentureForth and WPK.

I think a journey starting from Miami is really great, but I just can't do, because I'm living in Birmingham and there are only three ways I can get to there: greyhound, car(I don't have car), and amtrak. Traveling for 20 hours in a greyhound bus is not fun at all, I won't try that. So, at last I still have to start my journey from Atlanta. At least, many schoolmates are living in Atlanta and they may give me a courtesy drive. Otherwise, I can take the greyhound and it is only 4-5 hours, maybe 6 hours in traffic.

I have booked the ticket already, and I finally gave up Norfolk and Virginia Beach because I found them not as interesting as Williamsburg. So I'll take the train from Atlanta to Richmond, then from Richmond to Williamsburg, then to Philly, to Boston, and then take the Chinatown bus to New York to have the 2008 New Year there. On Jan 1 I'm going to take the train to Chicago, and after peak-season I will ride on the Empire Builder to Seattle, then go to San Francisco, take Southwest Air to Los Angeles (as I find that Amtrak SF to LA is retarded). Then train LA to New Orleans, and at last fly to Miami and take greyhound to Key West.

It may not be a good plan, but I cannot think of any other alternatives to travel around the United States at a relatively low price. Alright, I've made the reservations now, would you mind giving me some valuable suggestions about traveling with the train? I've never tried that before. Thank you.

I think a journey starting from Miami is really great, but I just can't do, because I'm living in Birmingham and there are only three ways I can get to there: greyhound, car(I don't have car), and amtrak. Traveling for 20 hours in a greyhound bus is not fun at all, I won't try that. So, at last I still have to start my journey from Atlanta. At least, many schoolmates are living in Atlanta and they may give me a courtesy drive. Otherwise, I can take the greyhound and it is only 4-5 hours, maybe 6 hours in traffic.
Why don't you just board the train in Birmingham? Why subject yourself to the bus from BHM to ATL?

I dont want to take the bus, but if I ride on Amtrak, it will at night when I arrive at Atlanta. If I am lucky, I can go to Atlanta with my schoolmates.

By the way, do anyone here know that are there any electrical outlets in coach seat? It's vital for me.

Regarding the low bucket railpass seats, it seems to me that at the VERY least, Amtrak ought to allow the railpass holder to reserve another, higher bucket price seat, if available, for the difference between the current bucket price and the lowest bucket price, since the railpass holder is deemed to have already paid the lowest bucket price. That would be a much less offensive policy than what they've got now, in my opinion, and Amtrak would lose no money on that transaction. In fact if the seat in question would otherwise stay empty, Amtrak would come out ahead on the deal. And fewer railpass passengers would end up going home and badmouthing Amtrak with a passion. And for those of us trying to support Amtrak despite it's own best efforts to the contrary, it would be less embarrassing and require less apologizing on our part.

On Jan 1 I'm going to take the train to Chicago, and after peak-season I will ride on the Empire Builder to Seattle, then go to San Francisco, take Southwest Air to Los Angeles (as I find that Amtrak SF to LA is retarded).
Oh no! :eek: The California coast from SF to Santa Barbara is one of the most scenic and awesome trips in the US.

Is there any way you can either rent a car and drive the coast highway, or take the train or bus?

I lived there for many years, and never tired of that drive.

The phrase, "you can't get there from here", applies frequently to destinations from Atlanta.
True! :angry: But at least the way the zones are laid out, and until they close the loophole, a trip from ATL-WPT, BHM-DEN or SDL-ABQ is a 1 zone award, even though you have to go via WAS! :p

Or to go from SDL-LAX, you can get a 2 zone award and go SDL-WAS-CHI-PDX (on the EB)-LAX! :p

How can I get to Atlanta Station from downtown (e.g. Five Points)?

How can I get to Atlanta Station from downtown (e.g. Five Points)?
The short answer is to use a north bound subway train to the Arts Center, then catch a bus from there to the Amtrak station. However, I'm not the best expert on that. Our resident expert on Atlanta, Bill Haithcoat, will most likely be able to give you more details when he checks in on Monday.

Go to the Other Rail/Commuter Rail discussion and read the topic: "Gainesville-Atlanta-MARTA Commuter line, Letter from Sam Massell to Atlanta Regional Commission"

The discussion goes into great detail and directions on taking MARTA train/bus to the Amtrak station in Atlanta. Just be aware that many people don't know where the Atlanta Amtrak station is located so be prepared to tell them that it is at the intersection of Interstate 85/75/Peachtree Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back