Useless voucher

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
Here is the deal....I had bought but not picked up our tickets to Chicago on last saturday. Was told by customer services I could turn in the voucher when I picked up the tickets and they would issue me a credit on my AGR credit card I had used to purchase the tickets. When we got to the station 4 hours away from home I was told that would not work anymore due to the new e-ticket's unless I wanted to cancel the entire round trip and purchase new tickets at a higher bucket. If I had did so the new price would have been $95 more and I didn't think giving them $95 more...$75 voucher and $20 cash was a good deal at all. I even tried in Chicago to upgrade to buisness class just to use the voucher on our return trip but was told it could only be done onboard if there were seats available. And then it was up to the conductor if they would accept the voucher onboard.....

So here I sit with a useless $75 voucher....darn shame I can't pass it on to someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take it you can't use it or don't want it!
excl.gif

That reason does not sound right!
wacko.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a $100 voucher and was told on the phone to bring it with me when picking up my tickets and I would get a credit on my credit card. The ticket agent said the only way that could be done is to cancel the reservation and start all over. That would have cost me much more than $100. I have until next June to use the $100, however, most likely, I will have to pay for the reservation at the ticket window to be able to use the voucher.

They really need to make using vouchers as easy as it is with airlines. Typically I just get a voucher number and enter it as payment on the payment page on the website. It recomputes the balance using the voucher and either charges the difference or returns the voucher with reduced value depending on whether the cost of the ticket was more or less than the value of the voucher. Why is this so difficult to arrange?

They really need to make using vouchers as easy as it is with airlines. Typically I just get a voucher number and enter it as payment on the payment page on the website. It recomputes the balance using the voucher and either charges the difference or returns the voucher with reduced value depending on whether the cost of the ticket was more or less than the value of the voucher. Why is this so difficult to arrange?
It's a teething problem, I suspect. The vouchers at issue are "old" vouchers (i.e. pre-eticketing), which are promissory notes from Amtrak exchangeable for travel. "New" vouchers (i.e. e-vouchers) are presumably being done a bit differently.

E-vouchers still can't be used on the website, which is pretty useless IMO.

Now you folks are making me nervous about the voucher reservations I have. At least with mine, which was electronic, I haven't had to pay for anything. I might run over to the station to check it out this week, that way the price won't skyrocket in the meantime.

Now you folks are making me nervous about the voucher reservations I have. At least with mine, which was electronic, I haven't had to pay for anything. I might run over to the station to check it out this week, that way the price won't skyrocket in the meantime.
Last year I had a sizable voucher that I used towards my trip to Toronto. I was not asked to pay anything until I picked up the tickets and everything worked perfectly.

I think the difference in my situation now is that my voucher is relatively small compared to my fare. (just my 2 cents or 2 pennies :lol: )

Last year I had a sizable voucher that I used towards my trip to Toronto. I was not asked to pay anything until I picked up the tickets and everything worked perfectly.

I think the difference in my situation now is that my voucher is relatively small compared to my fare. (just my 2 cents or 2 pennies :lol: )
Well that makes me feel better. I already used up my whole voucher from my EB delay!

One monthly pass for H

Acela FC NYP- RTE for two

Acela FC PVD-PHL for one

I picked up the monthly no problem and didn't have to pay anything. The voucher also totally covered the NY trip for two. Today when I booked the third reservation I used up the rest plus owe a small amount, but they said I would just pay when I pick up the ticket.

The ticket agent in CDL said it all had to do with the new e-ticket issue which started there a week ago. He even called customer services while I was standing there and they were of no help getting it resolved.....Maybe they will get their act together once the new type ticket deal gets thru the shake down phase and the bugs worked out.

He even tried to cancel one way on the round trip ticket and reissue useing the voucher as partial payment. The system wouldn't let him do so....it was all or nothing. There was 4 of us and he couldn't even just cancel one person. When they scanned one ticket onboard it showed all 4 names even tho we each had printed tickets.

The ticket agent in CDL said it all had to do with the new e-ticket issue which started there a week ago. He even called customer services while I was standing there and they were of no help getting it resolved.....Maybe they will get their act together once the new type ticket deal gets thru the shake down phase and the bugs worked out.

He even tried to cancel one way on the round trip ticket and reissue useing the voucher as partial payment. The system wouldn't let him do so....it was all or nothing. There was 4 of us and he couldn't even just cancel one person. When they scanned one ticket onboard it showed all 4 names even tho we each had printed tickets.
What he should have done was to treat it as if you wanted to use a different credit card. W/O changing the reservation, he should have been able to credit the CC, recharge the card for a lower amount and "charge" the ticket. Pre-evouchers, that is what an agent did when I paid for the ticket on my CC and then used a voucher to pay part of it. I have also called in the past to reservations to change CCs that were used to buy tickets and all they did was credit one card and charge the other.

I'd make a stink with customer service and hopefully they will come up with an easy way to handle this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back