Using a GPS and scanner - what kind?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaffer tape. Leaves no residue. Sticks better than duct tape.

Very interesting, but where do you sit? :)

I am guessing your GPS unit affixes to the window with a suction cup, but how are the scanner and Apple device being attached to the glass? If it is tape, aren't you concerned about leaving adhesive residue (especially if it is duct tape) behind on the windows that will dirty up for future passengers? Am just curious as I am starting to notice more and more sticky duct tape residue on the various surfaces of my rooms, though not on the windows thank goodness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that. I have seen many folks on this site advocate the use of duct tape as one of the "essentials" for their onboard kit, and it makes me cringe. I've been using duct tape since I first used it as a kid to temporarily patch surfboard dings, and there is no doubt that it leaves behind a sticky mess, even when applied for a short period of time. So while it may have helpful uses in the rooms, its use is a disservice to subsequent passengers who may find sticky discolored splotches where it's been applied. I hope this poor advice will stop being passed along here and replaced with more sensible options such as yours.

Glad to hear that. I have seen many folks on this site advocate the use of duct tape as one of the "essentials" for their onboard kit, and it makes me cringe. I've been using duct tape since I first used it as a kid to temporarily patch surfboard dings, and there is no doubt that it leaves behind a sticky mess, even when applied for a short period of time. So while it may have helpful uses in the rooms, its use is a disservice to subsequent passengers who may find sticky discolored splotches where it's been applied. I hope this poor advice will stop being passed along here and replaced with more sensible options such as yours.
Aloha

Most people never heard of "Gaffer" so think only of Duck tape. My daughter for a while was lost when someone suggested Duct tape. In reality both are the same thing. But in the movies where the name "Gaffer" comes from, the quality is higher and does not leave a residue. Also is available in colors. I used to buy 100 rolls in 9 different colors to use as quick repair on the Ice Capades sets. The good stuff cost from about 9 dollars up for a roll and is available up to 6 inches wide. The cheap stuff runs around 3 dollars a roll and normally used for air conditioning ducts. This gooey surface helps seal the seams.

Gee didn't expect to give a course in theater tech 10 something :lol:

Aloha

Most people never heard of "Gaffer" so think only of Duck tape. My daughter for a while was lost when someone suggested Duct tape. In reality both are the same thing. But in the movies where the name "Gaffer" comes from, the quality is higher and does not leave a residue. Also is available in colors. I used to buy 100 rolls in 9 different colors to use as quick repair on the Ice Capades sets. The good stuff cost from about 9 dollars up for a roll and is available up to 6 inches wide. The cheap stuff runs around 3 dollars a roll and normally used for air conditioning ducts. This gooey surface helps seal the seams.

Gee didn't expect to give a course in theater tech 10 something :lol:
Interesting stuff actually, thanks for the clarification. That gooey adhesive definitely works well to temporarily seal off dings until you can do resin repairs. But I think the cheap stuff should stay out of the Sleeping Car rooms as leaving behind this gooey residue becomes its unwelcome calling card.

Aloha

Rosebrand is a source for stage and theater this is the page for A source of tape they are a very reliable source, but maybe not the cheapest.

“Gaffers Tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.”

– The Unknown Stagehand

I've never thought of it like that before. :blink: I'll be be careful from now on! Thanks

Wow, some of you guys really are loaded down with equipment.

On my recent trip on the Eagle that was on the UP detour route from CHI to STL, I simply used my plain old cell phone (an LG 8360), and used the Verizon navigator to follow along. I was able to plug it into an outlet on the upper level of the SSL by a table, and was able to zoom in and out at will. At certain levels, the railroad name was shown on the tracks. Even tenant lines in parentheses. Sometimes the name would revert back to the former owner. Overall, very satisfactory for the purpose used. And carefree travel, not to have to lug around expensive equipment or rig elaborate setups.

I'm traveling the CL and TE - WAS-DAL - this Friday, and am going to buy a GPS today. I've never owned one and the young guys at work look at me like I grew up in the stone age (which I didn't btw). Are there any maps or aps one needs to load in a GPS prior to using it on the train? I'm hoping an AC adapter is an available option. I don't want to bring along a PC on this trip, opting instead to hijack my kid's iPad. Wireless only.

I'm traveling the CL and TE - WAS-DAL - this Friday, and am going to buy a GPS today. I've never owned one and the young guys at work look at me like I grew up in the stone age (which I didn't btw). Are there any maps or aps one needs to load in a GPS prior to using it on the train? I'm hoping an AC adapter is an available option. I don't want to bring along a PC on this trip, opting instead to hijack my kid's iPad. Wireless only.
There's nothing you need to load onto a standalone GPS device intended for cars/bikes/pedestrians and the like. However, you might want to see if you can download a free updated map for your specific device, which you'll typically need a computer to accomplish. The maps shipped with the device tend to be outdated in my experience. Downloading and installing the updated map still won't bring them to into full compliance but it might get you a map that's up to year or so newer.

Be sure that the GPS can do point-to-point navigating. I tried using one, but it kept recalculating the road route it wanted me to take. There may have been a mode that wouldn't do that, but it was difficult to get control of the unit, and I had other stuff to keep me occupied anyway.
On a Garmin, I believe tools>settings>off road would be what you want....
I have a Garmin Nuvi 265 that I used on a West Coast trip last year EB,CSL,SSL. It worked great, on both sides of the train. I recommend a GPS with a trail or off road function. On mine when you zoom in far enough it will show the Railroad tracks. But if you're not in trail mode, it will try and put you on the nearest road next to the tracks.
I bought a Garmin 255wt and found the off-road setting. But I don't know how to program it from WAS Union Station to Chicago Union Station. Can you suggest a website or perhaps provide info here that will explain how to do this? Perhaps I don't need it for navigation - more like where a I I guess. I hope to set it up in my roomette, and have it show me where we are and our speed etc. during the trip. Is it as easy as just using the where am I feature found in tools? D I need to add my destination or home address?

You don't really need to program it from WAS to CHI, you've got an engineer that can handle that for you.

If you want, you can put in the address for CHI as your destination, but that will only tell you how far you are from the station as the crow flies. The time estimates that it will give you will be completely off until you get very close, as the GPS assumes that you're going to travel to the station in a straight line (not true) at the speed you're currently moving (also not true).

I get a sense that I'm really over-thinking this. How hard can it be? Just stick it to the window and push a few buttons. I've never used a GPS, and probably am expecting it to be more than it is. I am putting in the Amtrak stops as favorites, figuring that will give me some options on board as far as playing around - how far from Rockville to Toledo, for example - just to kill a little time. I guess our speed will display as we are moving along? Sitting on my couch and not moving an inch - well, that might explain why I don't see any reference on the GPS to my current speed. Do any of you use the Mini-SD card to save data? I see that some use info later to review the trip, times at stations and whatnot? Thanks again, all.

I get a sense that I'm really over-thinking this. How hard can it be? Just stick it to the window and push a few buttons. I've never used a GPS, and probably am expecting it to be more than it is.
Commercial GPS systems can be rather sophisticated but the consumer level products sold in retail stores tend to be fairly simple. Except for the models sold in Japan for use on Japanese streets. Those things will melt your mind as you try to figure out everything that it's trying to show you. You can also make generic GPS systems a lot more complicated by hacking them and installing modified firmware and the like, but that's a whole other topic best left to an actual GPS forum.

I use my Garmin Nuvi that I use in my car... and it works great... except going through tunnels of course. It's the 255 model I think -- the cheapest model that has real-time traffic on it.
:hi: I've got a Garmin Nuvi 255W, and it does a great job in the car while on the road. :cool: I purchased the lifetime map update thing, so I download new maps every six weeks or so. It has the car cigarette ligher power, as well as the wall plug power, and the computer connection cord, the latter two being great for train use.

All that having been said, what kind of instructions does "Chatty Kathy" give you when the train strays away from her pre-determined idea of the AUTOMOBILE directions from where you were when you told the Garmin where you wanted to go? <_< I know I can shut her up, but what does the screen say?

We made one trip where we decided to take a slight side route, and "Chatty Kathy" was telling us to turn at just about every street until we finally got far enough from the expressway that she gave up and "RECALCULATED." :lol:

I've kind of figured that the train would drive her nutz! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a sense that I'm really over-thinking this. How hard can it be? Just stick it to the window and push a few buttons. I've never used a GPS, and probably am expecting it to be more than it is.
Commercial GPS systems can be rather sophisticated but the consumer level products sold in retail stores tend to be fairly simple. Except for the models sold in Japan for use on Japanese streets. Those things will melt your mind as you try to figure out everything that it's trying to show you. You can also make generic GPS systems a lot more complicated by hacking them and installing modified firmware and the like, but that's a whole other topic best left to an actual GPS forum.
Does anyone make a GPS that simply lays out a map that :help: might just simply show highways and cities) and have an arrow that points to where I am? On a train I'm not really expecting a detailed analysis of MPH, easily converted to KPH. All I want to know is how far it is (I can handle metric and english distance) from where I am, to the next city. God only knows how long it might take Amtrak to get there. :giggle:

I like the garmin nuvi 255w because it shows rail lines and the ar8000 scanner with optoscout with direct tune because it will pickup shortline rail you might encounter along the way. This is my typical setup for a short trip. I bring a small honda gas generator for backup, some of the sleeper car attendants get nervous when I hardwire into the electrical panel.

am.jpg

am2.jpg
Very interesting, but where do you sit? :)
It also takes out enemy trunks , signals, wifi, gps, cells, and those dam 4g. I rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back