valuables left at coach seat when walking to bathroom, diner, etc..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As cpotisch, a small backpack always travels with us where ever we are and however out of place it looks. Carry a bridge camera, phone, 13" notebook and all tickets, hotel documents and small book for travel notes with us at all times.

Small enough not to be a bother to others and ourselves, and very easy to carry. In coach always mention to someone we will be out of our seats for a while if it's more than a bathroom visit, others do the same with us.

Never worry about theft as the most of what's important is always with us so we are pretty relaxed. Once on an Amtrak train even asked a convicted criminal (he mentioned it) to keep an eye on our seats for us if there were to be a stop, and we left things on our seats too, but not the backpack. I think almost all fellow passengers want a good journey just like you, but if you feel uneasy about someone trust your instincts.

We can all get unlucky but how rare is that, if we worry about it too much then the joy of travel disappears.

I wouldn't leave anything in plain sight and I'd be careful at stops where people depart. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I don't know why a person would snatch a locked iPad or laptop. A camera is a different story. I usually travel with a Amazon fire, less than $ 50.00 to replace and it

functions well. D.A. mentioned a Cromebook and I have hauled one around but never used it on a

train or plane. It's compact but I would never haul it to the dinner as it would be in the way and for sure not to the lounge. By the way, I'm a tad suspicious of people with shopping bags or backpacks meandering around. Do be careful of an expensive camera, they can turn up missing.

While we're on this discussion, one of my pet peeves is some more or less stranger asking me to save there seat or continually to watch their valuables? Picture this, hey dude, keep a eye on my stuff, I'm going to The bathroom, for the eighth time or I'm going to stretch my legs, I'll be back. This scene could go on and on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that there was a posting here a while back, where someone was complaining that they left a very valuable computer inside their suitcase, and left that suitcase in the Superliner lower level luggage rack. Their computer was stolen. The claim was assuming that someone opened up their suitcase, removed their computer, left everything else, closed the suitcase, and returned the suitcase to the rack.

Not to start a debate again, but IMHO, why would someone go thru all that trouble, and not simply take the entire suitcase and be done with it? Anyway...

I am bringing this up here, to offer an example that people do snatch stuff, possibly at stops.

I remember that there was a posting here a while back, where someone was complaining that they left a very valuable computer inside their suitcase, and left that suitcase in the Superliner lower level luggage rack. Their computer was stolen. The claim was assuming that someone opened up their suitcase, removed their computer, left everything else, closed the suitcase, and returned the suitcase to the rack.

Not to start a debate again, but IMHO, why would someone go thru all that trouble, and not simply take the entire suitcase and be done with it? Anyway...

I am bringing this up here, to offer an example that people do snatch stuff, possibly at stops.
Well, the computer could easily have been worth way more than everything else in the suitcase combined. If the thief took the whole suitcase, he/she would have to immediately get off the train and hope that the owner of it didn't see him. But by just taking the computer, he could have put it in his own bag, stayed onboard, and no one could have known or seen who took it. Point is, it would make a lot of sense to take the most valuable item and leave the rest of the bag behind, since it's way less conspicuous and he probably would have made a similar amount of money.

I too would be more suspicious of someone walking around the train with a backpack, especially to the Dining cat. You wonder what is in there. Is it their computer, camera, a gun or a bomb?

I rember the bombers at the Boston Marathon hIt their bombs in a backpack. And you hear of suicide bombers wearing backpacks.

That's why I get funny looks then!

Don't people working in office or non manual work go to work with bags and backpacks? Just a question as they certainly do in London and I thought (could be mistaken) earlier this year they did in San Francisco too? We took a public bus (very busy) almost right across the city in early rush hour and it was full of serious faces some of whom I thought had backpacks?

I too would be more suspicious of someone walking around the train with a backpack, especially to the Dining cat. You wonder what is in there. Is it their computer, camera, a gun or a bomb?

I rember the bombers at the Boston Marathon hIt their bombs in a backpack. And you hear of suicide bombers wearing backpacks.
But honestly, it doesn't actually make a difference whether you leave the backpack at your seat or walk through the train with it. If you have a bomb, does it really make any difference whatsoever whether or not you're in your seat? You have a bomb either way.

True to both of you. But it does seem more unusual for someone to be walking around a train, go to the Dining Car and put the backpack on the seat or floor, then it does to see somebody with a briefcase or backpack on a city street or bus.

Except at station stops, I see very few passengers walking around with bags in their hand or on their shoulder.

Don't people working in office or non manual work go to work with bags and backpacks? Just a question as they certainly do in London and I thought (could be mistaken) earlier this year they did in San Francisco too? We took a public bus (very busy) almost right across the city in early rush hour and it was full of serious faces some of whom I thought had backpacks?
Absolutely! Thru the years of riding subways and buses to work, I have seen more and more commuter's carrying backpacks, and less and less of brief cases, lunch boxes, whatever...be they blue collar, white collar, or students.....

Guess I'll be the odd man out and say that I've left stuff in my coach seat when I've gone to the bathroom, diner or cafe car. It was just a travel pillow and a neck pillow, though! My other stuff was either in a small bag on the floor in front of me or in my bigger bags in the overhead rack.
default_tongue.png

When I took my nephews out to Big Bend in July 2010 we were traveling coach; they had the pair of seats ahead of mine. They asked if they could borrow my iPod and I lent it to them. After a while, they both left for the lounge car and left the iPod on the seat with a travel blanket thrown over it. I retrieved it and put it in my pocket without a word. When they had tired of the lounge car, they returned to their seats and started looking for the iPod. And looking, and looking....

I watched them stew for a few minutes until they finally came to me and asked if I had seen the iPod. I toyed with them for a few minutes before finally admitting that, yes, I had it!

I am considering buying a new small laptop for my travels. Most seem to have only a small "solid state" storage these days, rather than a hard disk. I don't much like the "Android" system on my mobile phone, so feel a bit negative about a Chromebook for that reason. See how the pennies last out!

Please don't worry about theft and such, if you just develope a routine, like v.v, it helps avoid mistakes, and most folk are honest and decent.

We caused the opposite problem, travelling in the rush hour aboard the "Emery -go -round" bus crammed with commuters and us with all our luggage!

Ed

P.S. One tip with print at home tickets and hotel reservations is to make two copies, and keep them in seperae luggage areas, I pack my medications in two places also, just in case.

I use to work for a rather major corporation. One day, someone left their briefcase unattended in the lobby. The receptionist saw the unattended briefcase... called security... who in turn called the police... who in turn called in the bomb squad.

When the guy returned from the café, with this cup of coffee, was he surprised at all the activity this briefcase caused.

My interest in bags and backpacks is because sometimes things disappear and it's the reason for a lot of shop owners to forbid them in their store. I travel with a backpack my self and especially on LD trains. I for sure wouldn't haul it around on a train. What would one do with a computer in the dining car, or observation car, It would be in the way.

Another of my pet peeves, folk who would take a book or some kind of blanket weaving, knitting, to the Parlor car and park themselves in one of the few swivel chairs for the day and never once look out the window.

I think there may be some confusion over the term "backpack". I have seen some young folk staggering around under the weight of 60lb packs, which you would not want to carry around on a train, or even leave the house with!

A small "day" pack would carry all the essentials with ease, even a book if you choose to sit and read in the swivel chairs...
default_biggrin.png

Ed.

I think there may be some confusion over the term "backpack". I have seen some young folk staggering around under the weight of 60lb packs, which you would not want to carry around on a train, or even leave the house with!

A small "day" pack would carry all the essentials with ease, even a book if you choose to sit and read in the swivel chairs...
default_biggrin.png

Ed.
I'm thinking along the lines of my own backpack, which is probably around 15" tall and a foot wide. It's not cumbersome or heavy, and can easily fit all my devices, a couple changes of clothes, and a decently large blanket. You don't need something bulky, heavy, or unwieldy just to keep all your valuables and basically everything you'll need onboard, with you.

Devil's Advocate, I am curious as to what inexpensive laptop computer you use when you travel.
During Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales you can typically find a basic but functional laptop for under $200.  They're not flexible and dependable enough to be a good daily driver but they're perfect for use as an easily replaceable travel computer that won't break the bank if it's lost, stolen, or destroyed.

Back