Vermonter Business Class or Regional Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi_Train_Fan

Service Attendant
Hello!

I have a friend travelling from Washington, DC to Bridgeport, CT aboard either the Vermonter or a Regional. Which will have better business class seats? And what type of equipment will be used? My friend doesn't care but I do so that I can make a better recommendation.

I'm familiar with the Amfleet I Cafe/Business class cars travelling on the Lincoln Service Chicago-St. Louis. Those business class seats are 2-1 seating.

Thanks,

David Z

Chicago, IL

As far as I know, they are both Am I coaches with Am II business class, not 2-1. A few regionals end up with old club or club dinette cars, but as far as I know its random.

As far as I know, they are both Am I coaches with Am II business class, not 2-1. A few regionals end up with old club or club dinette cars, but as far as I know its random.
There are only 4 AMF II business class cars and they are used exclusively on the trains sponsered by North Carolina.

I believe that the Vermonter gets one of the newly refurbished AMF I Club-Dinettes (former Metroliner Club Class or Custom Class cars). You can also find those cars as noted above, randomly on the regionals. I find that you see them more during off peak hours and only on trains that run between NYP and WAS.

The standard business class car on the NEC is just a slightly modifies amfleet II, isn't it? I've had times when it wasn't even labeled business class, just a normal Am II coach.

I could be wrong about the Vermonter Business class though. I thought I heard it was normal in that fashion.

Anyone know the state of the possible DMUs?

The standard business class car on the NEC is just a slightly modifies amfleet II, isn't it? I've had times when it wasn't even labeled business class, just a normal Am II coach.
Amfleet II's are Amtrak's long distance cars and don't see service on the NEC in Regional consists under normal circumstances.

Regional trains are normally comprised of Amfleet I cars only. Within the AMF I category there are business class cars, regular coaches, Metroliner coaches, dinettes, ADA coaches, as well as the Club-Dinettes. The Club-Dinettes were all former Metroliner Club Class cars and Custom Class cars, that have been fully refurbished and offer the 2 & 1 seating with faux leather on the seats, and a cafe in the middle, and tables on the end.

I find that the 2+1 seating found in the refurbished Amfleet I Cafe/Business Class cars is superior to Amfleet II seating. (both feature full leg rests and recline)

Sounds like the Amfleet I Business Class cars are 2+2 with greater seat pitch than Amfleet I Coach Class cars.

So, can someone confirm my feelings that the 2+1 seating used on the Vermonter business class will be superior to the business class found on a Regional?

Thanks,

David Z

Chicago, IL

The Regionals run with full business class cars, the Vermonters run with the club dinettes, it would be the same thing basically, just the regionals are a whole car worth of that seating, and not half.

Corey

Actually, it's not the same thing. A full business-class car has 2-2 seating with extended legroom (essentially, it's like a long-distance coach seat). A club-dinette has 2-1 seating (i.e. much wider seats).

Also, as noted earlier, not all regionals operate with full business-class cars. Some operate with club-dinettes (overnight regionals 66/67 are one example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back