Viewliner Bedroom Suites

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dart330

OBS Chief
We booked two bedrooms on the Silver Meteor yesterday asking for a suite. They gave us bedrooms A & B in car 9810, but the agent said the rooms were not able to be made into a suite. From what I have read on this forum, I thought that all of the A & B rooms on the Viewliners are able to be turned into a suite. Is this not the case or was she simply misinformed?

The agent is wrong. Your car attendant can open the connecting door between the A & B room with a key.

As Alan said, as long as you have Bedrooms A & B in the same car, the attendant can open the door between them. But if you have (say) Bedroom A in car 9810 and Bedroom B in car 9811, of course they can't be combined!

Thanks for the info. It will be our first time on a viewliner, just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. Taking some first timers on a LD trip and figured the suite would give them the best experience.

Or maybe have extra room for a "dart"board - and to throw "dart"s!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Or maybe have extra room for a "dart"board - and to throw "dart"s!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You need all the room you can get with the 3000 inch Tv,microwave Hot tube with whirlpool jets internet cable with 3000 channels home office etc. Hey The_traveler isn't that your pent house sweat. The agent might have booked them in your spot instead :eek:

Dart: Hope this bit of advice is not too late for you. The bedrooms have ladders stored right next to the washbasin/entrance door and they rattle. Stuff a couple of towels between the ladder and wall to stabilize them.

Also, when the door is open, the majority of the time it loosens (always in the middle of the night) and starts slamming open and shut. Try to put a suitcase on the floor so the door slams against something softer and quieter than the opposite doorframe. Our travel is overnight from D. C. to Charleston, and we finally started asking the attendant to leave the door closed and locked between our rooms. Happy travels!

We had this once - but it's not quite the experience you expect. I honestly think that the bedroom is so well designed - regrading space, or I should say, use of the limited space - the location of the big, scenic window in the center of the room, and the nice, large mirror on the (removable) wall between the rooms - that when you open it up, it's not like that much bigger.

Plus you will loose some privacy.

But give it a try in the daytime. It is nice with large family - or a group of travelers.

You are certainly lucky to get a Viewliner Bedroom as they are scarce and can get expensive. There are only two on the entire train (+ 2 H rooms). If you want to silence the rattles bring a pack of self stick felt pads with you and put them behind the doors and places that rattle. You'll sleep better.

Thanks for the tips. I know the door between rooms rattled a lot when we were on the Coast Starlight in June. We wedged a flip flop between it and the wall to quiet it down.

We will be traveling on the Silver Meteor from Miami to Washington with our friends. Planning on having the suite open during the day and then locked when the beds are made for the evening.

We will be continuing on to the Capitol Limited and then the Texas Eagle but were unable to get two bedrooms on either that could be made into a suite even though they are in the same car. This trip should let us figure out if we prefer traveling with the suite or not.

I wanted to bump this thread back up because I have again been told today that bedrooms A & B in a Viewliner are not able to be turned into a suite. I booked the Cardinal and the Silver Meteor and "the system" told the agent that neither of those trains have suites, but she booked us into adjacent rooms on the same car. Seems very odd that the agents are not aware that Viewliners have suites.

Seems very odd that the agents are not aware that Viewliners have suites.
Well, adjoining rooms IMHO doesn't make for a suite regardless of what the PR dept dreams up for terms. If I get adjoining rooms at a hotel, and open the door, it isn't the same as having a true hotel suite; its still just two regular rooms. No soaking tub. No balcony. No dining/conference area. No bar.

Just a little interior door so that you can run naked between the rooms. :D

The connecting rooms on Viewliners fine. We have had them on the Cardinal and Lake Shore Limited.

In Germany, connecting rooms do not have bathrooms and are a bit smaller than Amtrak.

The connecting rooms on Viewliners fine. We have had them on the Cardinal and Lake Shore Limited.

In Germany, connecting rooms do not have bathrooms and are a bit smaller than Amtrak.
I have used the suite concept successfully when traveling with my two young daughters around the country. I provided privacy for all of us and gave us plenty of space. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back