viewliner diner 8400

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mflsjhs

Service Attendant
saw 8400 sitting in washington dc all by it self, anyone know how it came in or where its heading next

I thought that there weren't any NTD activities scheduled in Washington due to the construction at Union Station?

From the NTD website:

*For all those trainiacs who are wondering why we won’t be in Washington, DC Union Station this year, the station is undergoing an extensive restoration effort to repair ceiling damage caused by last fall's earthquake, which is why we are unable to host an event there. We invite you to join us at the Philadelphia event and to keep checking other city locations in April.
Is the 8400 going to head up to Philly in the next 2 weeks?

Probably easier to keep in DC yard for a few days, then shuttle it up the corridor when it's time.

Amtrak takes it's best single level diner out of service for over eleven days so it can be displayed on National Train Day?

Amtrak takes it's best single level diner out of service for over eleven days so it can be displayed on National Train Day?
Yes, I'm also wondering why the 8400 would be taken out of service so far in advance of NTD? Why not have it do another round trip or 2 to Chicago and then pull it early next week? One possibility is that the 8400 is in DC for a publicity event or a dog and pony show.

I find that hard to believe. My suspicion is that there was some issue that caused it to be bad ordered. Why would they take the trouble to move it to Ivy City from Sunnyside, which is presumably where it would normally be taken off from either a Silver Service on a ferry move or from LSL from a service use? Something does not add up.

Heritage Unit 66 is being held in LAX and has been since the 29th. That's according to 4rr.com. Don't know how true that is.

Is it possible that 8400 is waiting at Ivy City told be shuttled to Bear for a few days for some tune ups??

But this makes no sense to take good working equipment OOS for days just for the public to go through it for 5 hours.

While I was in WAS last Friday it was quite a mess down there. Netting about 20 feet off the ground to protect the public from what I would guess is falling debris from the work being preformed. It's also very tricky to get to the main hall. Or at least the way I went.

Well, it may seem to make little sense and a bad trade off to keep the 8400 Diner and heritage painted locomotives, but we must understand the value of information. National Train Day has acquired quite a bit of momentum and cache; it is THE time for Amtrak to be at it's best, to show off what it can do when funded properly -- and when those funds are applied wisely. More than the wedding bride showing off her new stone, this is a direct, take to the bank, case to be made for: this is why we need funding, and this is what we SHALL do if blessed to actually get it.

The celebrities, public, and business leaders must see the best Amtrak has to offer when everyone is willing to work together. My guess on why they need to tie it up for so many days is that they want this equipment to be adequately groomed and pimped up, with little chance of accidents getting in the way and sidelining them.

Is it possible that 8400 is waiting at Ivy City told be shuttled to Bear for a few days for some tune ups??
The Viewliners are serviced in Hialeah, Florida; their home base. Anything that can't be done at Hialeah would be done in Beech Grove. Bear services the Amfleets.

does any one know where its heading next? or when it will run on more than the LSL?

It was in Grand Central for NTD. I had a walk though. The guy on duty in there said it was going to be on the LSL as soon as the show was over, ie last night.

It was in Grand Central for NTD. I had a walk though. The guy on duty in there said it was going to be on the LSL as soon as the show was over, ie last night.
Without even looking up the consists, I can assure you it wouldn't have made it onto yesterday's 49, since the train departs at 3:45 pm.

Without even looking up the consists, I can assure you it wouldn't have made it onto yesterday's 49, since the train departs at 3:45 pm.
Agreed! It would have been impossible to get the car back to Sunnyside, cut into the consist, loaded with food & supplies, prior to the 3:45 departure time when the displays ran through 4PM and that assumes that they finished on time.

I could see it going out on tonight's LSL, but definitely not yesterday's.

AlanB said:
1336932013[/url]' post='367121']
Trogdor said:
1336921393[/url]' post='367085']
reefgeek said:
1336919384[/url]' post='367080']It was in Grand Central for NTD. I had a walk though. The guy on duty in there said it was going to be on the LSL as soon as the show was over, ie last night.
Agreed! It would have been impossible to get the car back to Sunnyside, cut into the consist, loaded with food & supplies, prior to the 3:45 departure time when the displays ran through 4PM and that assumes that they finished on time.

I could see it going out on tonight's LSL, but definitely not yesterday's.
I agree with you, but he did say that!
laugh.gif

What is it that he said? "As soon as the show is over," or "tonight" (referring to last night)? Context is important.

Not to be a total necromancer, but does anyone know the current whereabouts of 8400? Is it still running on the LSL?

Still captive on the Lake Shore, in between show-off appearances at various events.

The Amtrak folks have also told the ESPA Annual Meeting that the initial delivery of new Viewliners will also go first to the LSL. They will have to do the deployment of the Sleepers carefully because they will have one less roomette than the current ones.

Has anyone heard anything about what order the various types of Viewliners will be coming out?

K... I'll be on the Crescent & Star next week & was hoping it was starting to "round round getaround".

Thanks!

It is on the LSL right now, according to the_traveler, who just ate dinner in the 8400 diner.

The Amtrak folks have also told the ESPA Annual Meeting that the initial delivery of new Viewliners will also go first to the LSL. They will have to do the deployment of the Sleepers carefully because they will have one less roomette than the current ones.

Has anyone heard anything about what order the various types of Viewliners will be coming out?
Diners first. Everyone's just guessing when it comes to the other classes of car, since Amtrak hasn't said. However, it seems clear Amtrak wants to retire the Heritage Diners ASAP. All 25 diners will probably go into service before we see more than a token number of other cars.

(I'm not sure if they'll literally build ALL the diners before building ANY of the other types of car -- perhaps one or two of each of the other types will be built early as a "did we get this right" model -- but they've said the first car will be a diner. And the fleet plan said that many diners will be in service before any sleepers, and that the Heritage diners will be retired before any baggage cars are retired. FY12 was supposed to have 7 Heritage diner overhauls, but they've been requiring so much work that they may only get 5 done -- they really want to stop using them.)

So "initial delivery of new Viewliners to the LSL" means that the LSL will get the first two diners off the line. I'm not sure whether it means anything about how the new sleepers, bag-dorms, or baggage cars will be deployed -- if you have more information it would be appreciated.

I've been trying to guess what order the other cars will arrive in, and I'm guessing bag-dorm first, but I have no direct evidence of this. I'm also guessing the bag-dorms will go first to the trains which aren't the LSL and don't require full baggage cars, so that those trains can run at full speed on the NEC ASAP.

I suspect that the new sleepers will probably end up being treated mostly as a captive fleet for one or two trains, due to their different capacity. And in order to not confuse people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back