Viewliner Diner on the Road

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpamtfan

OBS Chief
As per RAILROAD.NET, Viewliner Prototype Diner 8400 is currently in Washington, DC on its way to Beech Grove shops. All railfans along the Capitol or Cardinal routes watch for this special car due to be refurnished along with some Heritage Diners for the LSL.

cpamtfan-Peter

I would vote for it to take the Cardinal route, as that is "the hospital train" and stops at IND (near Beech Grove).
I agree anything they deadhead seems like it moves on the Cardinal from the east coast anyway. From chicago they seem to use the Hoosier State since it terminates in IND anyway

That's the interior of a Heritage diner, not the single Viewliner Diner.

Thanks for the link to the photo. I'm kind of disappointed at the interior. I guess I had hoped that with building a new diner they would make it appear a bit less utilitarian. I've not been in one of the new Diner Lite cars but, in spite of their problems, it seems to me that there was an attempt at some aesthetic design.

I would venture a guess at saying that the Viewliner diner will look nothing like that on the inside when the work is done. That picture was probably taken close to 20 years ago. Remember what the lounge and sleeping cars looked like at that time?

Thanks for the link to the photo. I'm kind of disappointed at the interior. I guess I had hoped that with building a new diner they would make it appear a bit less utilitarian. I've not been in one of the new Diner Lite cars but, in spite of their problems, it seems to me that there was an attempt at some aesthetic design.
Worth noting that the interior looked like that when it was used last. At present there is very little in the interior. It is going to get a completely new interior before it goes back into service. So it is yet to be seen what its interior in this new incarnation is going to look like.

Course, a single level diner has a lot less space for dining than a superliner so I suspect it will have to be more utilitarian.
The Heritage diners are every bit as comfortable and elegant as the Superliner diners, IMO; the ones that got the Temoinsa rebuilt interiors are even nicer.

That's the interior of a Heritage diner, not the single Viewliner Diner.
oops, sorry, it was listed as a viewliner. I picked it because of the date on the pic. I skipped the other photo because they looked too old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Course, a single level diner has a lot less space for dining than a superliner so I suspect it will have to be more utilitarian.
The Heritage diners are every bit as comfortable and elegant as the Superliner diners, IMO; the ones that got the Temoinsa rebuilt interiors are even nicer.
Yes, it seems that the Trmoinsa rebuilds took into account some aesthetic issues. It will be interesting to see what they do with the Viewliner Diner. Would be nice to have some more subdued lighting for evening dining.

Yes, it seems that the Trmoinsa rebuilds took into account some aesthetic issues. It will be interesting to see what they do with the Viewliner Diner. Would be nice to have some more subdued lighting for evening dining.
I see two possibilites for the Viewliner Diner when it's released from Beech Grove. Possibilty one is that it will have the new design that we'll see when the new Viewliner diners get built. Possibility two is that BG will use one of the remaining Temoinsa rebuild kits and install that into the car to get it out on the road as quickly as possible.

Don't remember what train it was (maybe the Crescent) but I ate in the Viewliner diner once. The double row of windows gave it a nice airy feeling but the decor was kinda plain-jane. As in the picture.

I see two possibilites for the Viewliner Diner when it's released from Beech Grove. Possibilty one is that it will have the new design that we'll see when the new Viewliner diners get built. Possibility two is that BG will use one of the remaining Temoinsa rebuild kits and install that into the car to get it out on the road as quickly as possible.
Please forgive my ignorance, but where the diners that are considered "Temonisa" rebuilds all of the same heritage--all from one pre-Amtrak railway or were they all from different railways? Are there any interior photos of "Temonisa" cars before they were rebuilt? I'd be curious to know their appearance pre-rebuild.

Please forgive my ignorance, but where the diners that are considered "Temonisa" rebuilds all of the same heritage--all from one pre-Amtrak railway or were they all from different railways? Are there any interior photos of "Temonisa" cars before they were rebuilt? I'd be curious to know their appearance pre-rebuild.
Apperance wise, just pull up any picture of a current or retired dining car and it probably looked more or less the same as the cars that were given the Temoinsa treatment.

And the cars did not all come from the same freight RR, you can view the heritage of each Amtrak diner (as well as whether it got the Temoinsa rebuild) over here on OTOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
No argument there. My only point is don't look for more than fitting as many booths in as possible. Someone else posted they had hoped it would be more aesthetically pleasing. I was just saying there is just not a whole lot of room to do much.

So, can someone please go down to WUS and take a picture? :rolleyes:
Ugh, if I must, I must....

8400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back