Viewliner Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looked at first glance like a Superliner, and it reminded me more of a Superliner than an Eastern Viewliner car.

With the added ceiling height, and the second set of windows - it will give patrons and especially first time riders a more upscale, "Atrium" feeling about the dining car.

Could you imagine if they had one of these on about every train in the east that travelled over 6 or 7 hours All the Boston to DC trains, the Adirondack, Palmetto, Carolinian, Pennsy, Cardinal, etc... You could eat a slow lunch or dinner - order a 2nd glass of wine and really enjoy the ride - especially on an Amfleet l train.

Just wishful thinking...

Can someone post a photo or screen shot? I'm blocked from viewing video during the day...also blocked from flickr, so an embedded pic would be nice!

Sweet! Car looks great!

BTW the Phase 3 car between the Horizon Coach and Superliner Diner was a buffer coach, formerly a baggage car.

Amtrak appears to have a slight shortage of serviceable Baggage cars at present. One of the consists of 66/67 is running around sans Baggage car. Checked baggage is getting piled into a corner of the Cafe car.

Yesterday 67 was a five car train, four Coaches and one Cafe+BC. It was pulled by a pair of P42s from Boston to New Haven and then by an AEM-7 (909) from thence to Washington DC. It is amazing how much more quickly the train accelerated behind the AEM-7 even though in sheer amount of HP the pair of P42s had more. But still they did stick to 105 to 110mph with the diesels on the faster segments of track. Since there was no baggage car in the consist, the AEM-7 made quite a dash at 125 mph between Linden and Iselin and swept into Metropark 3 mins or so ahead of schedule.

BTW, I also got living proof of how Amtrak Status does not always have the actual time of arrival reported in it. 67 actually arrived into NYP at 2am. I looked up Amtrak Status on that train at 2:09 am, when it reported that the train has arrived at 2:15 am!!! Go figure! Looks like they designate a single platform for 66 and 67. It happened to be tracks 7 and 8 yesterday. That way they just have to guard one platform from the incursion of riff-raffs instead of two.

It would be sweet if this train were to regain a Viewliner Sleeper upon the completion of delivery of Viewliner II Sleepers.

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual jis provides accurate, on the scene, info!Thanks! (maybe Fox News needs to hire you! :lol: )Wonder if the pax complain about luggage being in the cafe car? Also, if theres too much, since only #66/#67 have checked baggage on the Regionals, wonder if it would be delayed in some instances and not show up till the next day/night or even put on Acelas or other Regionals on an emergency basis???? :unsure:

As to the OTP being off on the computer, could this be like the recorded announcements in BWI etc. where they say "Train #____ now arriving on track #___" and it hasnt even left WAS or WIL yet?? :lol: Dave and I experienced this alot in BAL and BWI during our "layovers' during the NTD weekend waiting on Late Regionals??? :help:

Yesterday 67 was a five car train, four Coaches and one Cafe+BC. It was pulled by a pair of P42s from Boston to New Haven and then by an AEM-7 (909) from thence to Washington DC. It is amazing how much more quickly the train accelerated behind the AEM-7 even though in sheer amount of HP the pair of P42s had more. But still they did stick to 105 to 110mph with the diesels on the faster segments of track. Since there was no baggage car in the consist, the ARM-7 made quite a dash at 125 mph between Linden and Iselin and swept into Metropark 3 mins or so ahead of schedule.

It would be sweet if this train were to regain a Viewliner Sleeper upon the completion of delivery of Viewliner II Sleepers.
GE's have NEVER been known for their acceleration....if anything their claim to fame is spending more shop time than most other locomotives. I still contend that there has to be F-40's floating around Amtrak back tracks without prime movers. All you need is the traction motors and add/re-furbish a HEP power plant and you'll have four more axles for acceleration~ no need for mega-million grants/loans/begging and people on one unit trains (yeah Jim that's you and me :help: ) won't die of heat exhaustion in the middle of bum diddely. :cool:

As to the OTP being off on the computer, could this be like the recorded announcements in BWI etc. where they say "Train #____ now arriving on track #___" and it hasnt even left WAS or WIL yet?? :lol: Dave and I experienced this alot in BAL and BWI during our "layovers' during the NTD weekend waiting on Late Regionals??? :help:
That must have been a brief experiment, as I've never heard an automated announcement at BWI before.

Not really, the VLII order contains diners just like this one, so all of the trains that have Heritage diners will eventually have VLII diners.
Is that order still fully a "go" ???
Yes. It is funded by an RRIF loan AFAIR.
The recent $592 million RRIF loan grant to Amtrak was only for the 70 ACS-64 locomotives. The Viewliner II order is less expensive at $298 million. I thought it was stated that Amtrak covered the first year out of revenue and was prepared to do so for the 2011 payments. I suspect Amtrak will end up taking out a billion or two in RRIF loans in the next few years to pay for equipment purchases while waiting for friendlier times in Congress.

Random question: What's the train at the beginning in push mode with three Superliners and nothing else?

Am I the only one who thinks that the Viewdiner looks better in this paint scheme than anything else does, or is it just newly painted and shiny?
Since when are Superliners being used on Midwest corridor routes? I thought the consist of those trains was NPCU, 1 amfleet, Horizons, and a P42.

...BTW, I also got living proof of how Amtrak Status does not always have the actual time of arrival reported in it. 67 actually arrived into NYP at 2am. I looked up Amtrak Status on that train at 2:09 am, when it reported that the train has arrived at 2:15 am!!! Go figure! Looks like they designate a single platform for 66 and 67. It happened to be tracks 7 and 8 yesterday. That way they just have to guard one platform from the incursion of riff-raffs instead of two.

They must have corrected the NYP arrival for 67(04) in Arrow. It is now reported as 1:59am.

From Amtrak Status Maps achieves:

Code:
* Train 67 of 08/03/2011.
* +---------------- Station code
* |    +----------- Schedule Arrival Day  
* |    |  +-------- Schedule Arrival time
* |    |  |     +----- Schedule Departure Day
* |    |  |     |  +-- Schedule Departure Time 
* |    |  |     |  |     +------------- Actual Arrival Time
* |    |  |     |  |     |     +------- Actual Departure Time
* |    |  |     |  |     |     |     +- Comments
* V    V  V     V  V     V     V     V
* NYP  2  220A  2  300A  159A  300A  Departed:  on time.

Wonder if the pax complain about luggage being in the cafe car? Also, if theres too much, since only #66/#67 have checked baggage on the Regionals, wonder if it would be delayed in some instances and not show up till the next day/night or even put on Acelas or other Regionals on an emergency basis???? :unsure:
You have to do what you have to do. I've seen an Amfleet I coach used as a baggage car on the Crescent before.

I imagine most of the baggage would fit in that part of the café. Between WAS and NYP, oversized stuff (such as large express shipments) would maybe go on LDs, though I don't know if this stuff typically gets sent between those two points on the overnight run to begin with.

When I enquired at 30th Street as to what would happen in such an instance for larger stuff to/from BOS, I was told that it have to be held for the next day's train.

Kicked Around Gem of the Rails May Resurrect Once More, by Robert J. Evans Jr.

Reported from signal outlet L-R Head Trans Assoc.

Christened the 'Viewliner Diner Indianapolis', it started life as a bold experiment to lure and keep travelers riding the resurgence of Amtrak, circa 1987. A rail renessance had already begun after a sympathetic Congress gave the railroad what it needed: massive infusions of capital funding over a ten year period that would ultimately see over a thousand new railcars and 400 locomotives in electric and diesel versions to power them. Bad tracks were torn out and replaced with welded ribbon rail, on concrete ties reinforced with steel rods. The public took notice of the bilevel Superliners, high speed Metroliners, and the tubular Amfleet cars of many varieties. And since the U.S. had just come out of a oil crisis, the observing souls were legion. America really was getting back into training, and helping this noble purpose were advertising campaigns that made you remember. Catchy, whimsical, and daring. Who can forget the airplane hanger man guiding the pilot, or so we thought. This was no plane; instead, a brand new train emerges, full of comfort, power, homeliness, and unlike anything anyone had seen before.

Older 'Heritage' cars were stripped down and given new life as Diners, Sleepers, Lounges, and Coach too. But there came a time when Amtrak knew this fleet will one day simply be to worn to keep fixing. A committee team designed, then built, three next generation Viewliners. The two sleepers and one diner were to be tested extensively and provide experience for refining the details for a three hundred plus, car purchase. But it was too late: Washington leadership had grown either apethetic or downright hostile, and the Viewliner project, as many call it, stopped in its tracks. Sure, a severely curtailed fleet of a mere 50 sleepers eventually got through, but it unsuprisingly was inadequate to handle the patronage the old Heritage fleet used to, and so the dark ages began. The three test vehicles eventually got parked on yard tracks out of everyone's way and forgetten about. Those who didn't forget were flagellated for dreaming.

And then the right forces congealled, rescued the lone Viewliner Diner, and took it for a stroll to the wizards and magicians of Beech Grove. Badly designed components and error prone construction meant that everything had to go, except for the shell. The stainless steel hulk and chassis remained, looking as if had emerged from the Pullman plant of old. Hard work, genious, and yes, perhaps a sorcery of some kind, namely of the care and passion that comes when a team of minds come together to pull off the impossible. A shell that sat in some way or form, for 25 years waiting for a large fleet of new railcars that would keep the renessance building, a fleet never to be built. It was and still is the only Viewliner Diner in the world. But when Amtrak released No. 8400 on 8/4, August 4th, it was a truer first entry than the 1987 one. Not in sixty years has a new full service restaurant style Dining Car for the East Coast been born. Still a prototype, but a now a real one, since it shall herald the first Dining Car fleet since the days of The 20th Century Limited. The few that have seen the interior call it "spectacular", with the second row of top windows matching their Sleeper brethren, and giving the interior an aura that will rival and amaze the expectations. Improvements in the kitchen galley, to give chefs, food handlers, and attendants space and acoutrements with more touhgtful planning than before. How it will actually come together will be revealed very shortly, as word goes around the Eastbound Lake Shore Limited to New York will be testing grounds for this Cadillac on rails, followed by the Florida trains and the New Orleans bound Crescent.

A shop employee choosing to be anonymous blithely states of the foolhardyness that has been at DC for too long, referring to the mandates to drop the food and sleeper servies, "People need to eat. If they travel overnight or even across two zones, that's two full days. What are they supposed to do, bring on cans of tuna fish? This is how it should be. I think once the 8400 gets around and the people see it, they'll talk to their travel agents, their church groups, friends." This employee believes if Amtrak proactively markets this well, and doesn't mess up with customer service, namely the few staff who are rude, or deaf by choice, such as when you ask for a glass of water 20 minutes ago and still don't have it, it can be parlayed into a fresh new draw that travelers will respond to. "Run the staff though the Acela program, changing it a little to match the long distance nature of the train as opposed to high speed corridor. The discipline was fantastic, and everyone was happy, as long as you know you're doing it for a common good and everyone cares to help out.", he says.

God willing, this version of Indianapolis will roll across the country and greet many towns, welcome throngs of travelers desiring to be reunited, or maybe to vacation somewhere they've never been. Business travel? Why not! An executive on the Silver Star on his way to the Carolinas can fit in very comfortably, winding down on one of the Amfleet II coaches, watching one of her movies, answering some emails. And then it's dinner time. What a surprise that it's not the cafe microwave cuisine long the chant for Amtrak to change. Not this time. Now, he or she learns of a full restaurant on board, and after walking in, becomes a kid again for a few minutes. An attendant welcomes this visitor in, totally woo-ed by the spaciousness, and the choice of fresh food. On actual dishes. Conversations with strangers, or friends. Perhaps the folks at Beech Grove can rightfully claim their Noble Peace Prize.

NE933

Random question: What's the train at the beginning in push mode with three Superliners and nothing else?

Am I the only one who thinks that the Viewdiner looks better in this paint scheme than anything else does, or is it just newly painted and shiny?
Since when are Superliners being used on Midwest corridor routes? I thought the consist of those trains was NPCU, 1 amfleet, Horizons, and a P42.
Since pretty much forever, I last worked for Amtrak right after the Superliners were new, and ran them to Carbondale, and on the Michigan Service. Back then they were usually used in emergency use, and as an LSA, they gave us coolers, and a board to act as a counter, and we set up in the lower level, in the coach area to serve from..........

Use of Superliners on the Michigan trains during the winter is pretty much standard operating procedure, since the Horizon cars have an adversity to snow and cold! Looks like the Superliners now run year-round on the Pere Marquette.

Supposedly according to railroad.net (http://www.railroad....=66784&start=90)

The Lake Shore Limited 48/49 will get it.
Did the LSL get it?

Has anyone been on it?

I'm excited because I finally talked my husband into a trip from CHI-NYP and we're going next month.

He's a little high maintenance :giggle: and I want him to have the best time so that we can do this together on a regular basis.

Even if the LSL gets it you will at best have a one in three chances of atually being on an LSL that has the Viewliner Diner on it.
Thanks, jis... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hopefully we'll have a diner that works and no bustitution.

It's supposed to go into service next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back