Viewliner Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mflsjhs

Service Attendant
Where is 8400? The talk about it has died down. Wanted to know if it is still on the road

Still running back and forth on the Lake Shore every few days.
The 8400 was sent back to Beech Grove last week for some minor additional work. There was a YouTube video of it being deadheaded on a westbound LSL. Whether it is still at Beech Grove, don't know.

Still running back and forth on the Lake Shore every few days.
The 8400 was sent back to Beech Grove last week for some minor additional work. There was a YouTube video of it being deadheaded on a westbound LSL. Whether it is still at Beech Grove, don't know.

It looks like Amtrak is taking the time to do things right. If the new single level diners are going to be based on the 8400 it is best to take the time to make sure everything works well. These dinners could be with us for another 50 years :blink:

Just a minor point of orthography, but I really hope it's the diners rather than the dinners that last that long. <_<
Some of the dinners - or at least the snacks - seem ti have been around that long!
rolleyes.gif

Too bad 8400 will likely not be on the LSL this March. While dinner will not be had (will be getting on in Buffalo @ midnight,) breakfast in the morning while pulling into CHI aboard the Viewliner diner would be pretty awesome. Alas, who knows, maybe this will be my last trip taken on an eastern train with heritage diners in service? :rolleyes:

Not complaining either way; I'm stoked as ever to even have the option of American LD rail travel still! :lol:

Rumor has it that the 8400 will be deadheading to HIA on tomorrow's 97.

Does anybody have interior pictures/videos of 8400. Never had the luck to ride in a consist with it. Though I will soon have a chance.

Here's a photo that I took on it's first day back in revenue service. Just dumb luck that Amtrak picked the day that I was already booked to ride the LSL, as I had made my reservation some 6 months or more before.

http://alanb.amtrakt...Amtrak/1106.jpg
Cool diner, really bright! I thought that if you seal off the upper windows, it would look like an old PRR PD85, or something like that.

IMO better than the Heritage diners.

does anyone have any pics of the diner looking towards the kitchen? I've seen a handful of interior pics, but none show the other direction.

peter

There are numerous photos of me here! (with the pony tail, wearing blue/green stripes)

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

Looking at these, it would kinda look like a Viewliner Sleeper.

Which year was 8400 built? Pictures of it in Phase III?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at these, it would kinda look like a Viewliner Sleeper.

Which year was 8400 built? Pictures of it in Phase III?
The diner was originally built in 1988 by Amtrak's Beech Grove shops. However it looked nothing like it does today. Basically the car was stripped down to the shell and totally redone over the last 2 years, before returning to service last fall.

There are 4 photos of 8400 as it looked originally, 3 outside and 1 inside that you can link to from this site. Roll down the list a bit till you find 8400.

That site was started by Viewliner, a member here who sadly hasn't been around now in several years. :( And while the site hasn't been updated either in years, there is still a wealth of good info on the Viewliners to be had there. :)

Yes it was on 97. Here it is. The Meteor was leaving and I didn't realize it until I saw it. Nice though.

6816562272_96fffc3648_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back