Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. There is no further authorization involved. What Amtrak has to do is ask for annual appropriations. Usually appropriations never cover the entire amount that is authorized. Amtrak does not really get to change the funding structure by itself. OTOH Congress may change it to whatever it likes irrespective of what the authorization says, either explicitly or implicitly in the appropriation. As I have said before it will depend on if Congress appropriates enough to cover Amtrak's non-operational shared costs or not. If they do then NEC above the rail surpluses can go back to NEC. If not then NEC above the rail surpluses will still get used to fund Amtrak's shared costs.

IMO and only mine it will not be replacements for Amfleet-1 & -2s separately. Amtrak will order the coaches in a modular form so seating can be changed as necessary. That being said the first ones will probably go to LD trains as the high mileage -2s need some TLC. Plus the LDs need many more coaches at some times.

As an example it may be that LD trains would get 100 new cars and maybe 50 would be refurbished and assigned to NEC & SD trains. And that ratio might continue with more cars. Any -1 & -2s assigned to west coast and CHI area may only stay there short term until the new Nippon High levels enter service. Just pure speculation

Last edited by a moderator:
With these new coaches you're talking about, is there something out there that they'll be based off of? Will they look similar to the Amfleets or Horizons? Or Viewliner?

There are two options, it seems to me. Either Amtrak will require bidders to use the Viewliner design, which they own, and stick coach seats inside, or they won't specify the design and will buy whatever their chosen bidder comes up with, which will presumably be as close to an existing overseas design as possible.

Since Viewliner seems to be a proven frame, I would venture to guess that will be the shell for any new Coaches. And that would make for matching set trains with all cars the same. Now let's talk about some Viewliner Sunview Lounges.....

When money was flowing for passenger rail around 2009 or so, Amtrak (and the FRA?) set up committees that worked out the specifications for any new bi-level and single-level cars to get any federal funding in the future. Height, length, weight, crash-worthiness of course, door and window placement and operations, number of electric outlets, and many other details are covered by the specs. New specs were agreed before the order was made for the Nippon Sharyo bi-levels. Later the specs for the single-level cars were agreed to.

The new single-level cars that Brightline/All Aboard Florida is buying from Siemens will meet these new Amtrak/FRA specs. (AAF and Siemens said so with the purchase announcement.) Nicely for Siemens, the American design specs almost match an off-the-shelf model that Siemens sells in Europe.

Now Siemens will have an open assembly line in Sacramento making a compliant American version. So the AAF order covers some of Siemens set-up costs, giving them a real advantage over other bidders in any near-future round. The Siemens order from AAF could turn out to be the launch order for 700 Amtrak single-level coaches and cafe cars.

I've read that Amtrak played around with a mock-up coach version of the Viewliner shell. Maybe CAF can make that work with their open assembly line. But they'd have to meet the Amtrak/FRA specs.

Of course, any car maker can bid, and build a new plant or at least a new assembly line and train the employees. But those other bidders will be 6 months to a year behind the delivery date that Siemens and CAF could offer thanks to their open production lines.

Siemens in particular would seem able to spread its start-up costs over both whatever batch of coaches Amtrak might order and the few dozen cars it will build for AAF, allowing Siemens to make a lower bid. So while it could be anybody, bet on Siemens if any batch of 50 or even 700 replacements for Amfleets gets ordered in the next few years.

Yes. There is no further authorization involved. What Amtrak has to do is ask for annual appropriations. Usually appropriations never cover the entire amount that is authorized. Amtrak does not really get to change the funding structure by itself. OTOH Congress may change it to whatever it likes irrespective of what the authorization says, either explicitly or implicitly in the appropriation. As I have said before it will depend on if Congress appropriates enough to cover Amtrak's non-operational shared costs or not. If they do then NEC above the rail surpluses can go back to NEC. If not then NEC above the rail surpluses will still get used to fund Amtrak's shared costs.
Do other agencies also not receive the money they ask for?

Then how would Amtrak help pay for new Baltimore and Gateway Tunnels?

When money was flowing for passenger rail around 2009 or so, Amtrak (and the FRA?) set up committees that worked out the specifications for any new bi-level and single-level cars to get any federal funding in the future. Height, length, weight, crash-worthiness of course, door and window placement and operations, number of electric outlets, and many other details are covered by the specs. New specs were agreed before the order was made for the Nippon Sharyo bi-levels. Later the specs for the single-level cars were agreed to.

The new single-level cars that Brightline/All Aboard Florida is buying from Siemens will meet these new Amtrak/FRA specs. (AAF and Siemens said so with the purchase announcement.) Nicely for Siemens, the American design specs almost match an off-the-shelf model that Siemens sells in Europe.

Now Siemens will have an open assembly line in Sacramento making a compliant American version. So the AAF order covers some of Siemens set-up costs, giving them a real advantage over other bidders in any near-future round. The Siemens order from AAF could turn out to be the launch order for 700 Amtrak single-level coaches and cafe cars.

I've read that Amtrak played around with a mock-up coach version of the Viewliner shell. Maybe CAF can make that work with their open assembly line. But they'd have to meet the Amtrak/FRA specs.

Of course, any car maker can bid, and build a new plant or at least a new assembly line and train the employees. But those other bidders will be 6 months to a year behind the delivery date that Siemens and CAF could offer thanks to their open production lines.

Siemens in particular would seem able to spread its start-up costs over both whatever batch of coaches Amtrak might order and the few dozen cars it will build for AAF, allowing Siemens to make a lower bid. So while it could be anybody, bet on Siemens if any batch of 50 or even 700 replacements for Amfleets gets ordered in the next few years.
Of course Siemens is a strong candidate for the new Amfleet coaches! Amtrak appears to be fond of Siemens' technology if you look at the orders for the Sprinter and Charger Locomotives, etc. Plus, Siemens would probably assemble the coaches in California, with some parts being assembled in Ohio, which I think could help Amtrak.

Since we are about to be in 2016, I'd bet that Amtrak places a new order for coaches within 2 to 4 years...Do you folks think Amtrak would order all 700 at once or maybe 150 Amfleet 2 replacements, and then the other 550 coaches?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do other agencies also not receive the money they ask for?
Yes, pretty much all of them.

Of course Siemens is a strong candidate for the new Amfleet coaches! Amtrak appears to be fond of Siemens' technology if you look at the orders for the Sprinter and Charger Locomotives
Q: What does the Charger locomotive order have to do with Amtrak's perceived fondness for a particular vendor?

A: NOTHING!

Of course Siemens is a strong candidate for the new Amfleet coaches! Amtrak appears to be fond of Siemens' technology if you look at the orders for the Sprinter and Charger Locomotives
Q: What does the Charger locomotive order have to do with Amtrak's perceived fondness for a particular vendor?A: NOTHING!
I seem to remember an assertion that Siemens was the shoe-in for the Acela II order as well...not to mention that Amtrak hasn't ordered a single Charger yet.

Q: What does the Charger locomotive order have to do with Amtrak's perceived fondness for a particular vendor?A: NOTHING!
I seem to remember an assertion that Siemens was the shoe-in for the Acela II order as well...not to mention that Amtrak hasn't ordered a single Charger yet.
What single-level inter city coaches do Bombardier, Alstom or Kawasaki make?

What single-level inter city coaches do Bombardier, Alstom or Kawasaki make?
the only reason they don't make them is because there haven't been any orders yet for them. If no one wants them, why make them?

Any idea what the car right behind the Bag-Dorm is? Diner or Sleeper?
Could be either. Both have the double row of Windows right up to the end of the car (no door).
Thank you, Captain Obvious. That's not the car the Oly and I are talking about. We're talking about the one to the right.
Sorry, my bad. I totally missed Oly's post this morning. Anyways, my educated guess is a diner, since they're next to come out along with the bag dorms.

I see 5 cars
In order
Bag/Dorm, Undeterminable, NS engine, Bag/Dorm, Diner, Bag/Dorm

If Viewliner Is were up in Elmira, the car I labeled as a Diner could have been a sleeper. On the Viewliner IIs, there is no lower window for the shower module. (see the Bag Dorm next to it if you don't understand what I am saying.)

Any idea when that photo was taken? There appears to be full baggage cars parked behind the NS loco and bag-dorm as you can see the roof vents in the background. The last baggage cars were delivered in November.

I had assumed it was two bag dorms back to back, but it does appear as if they are the same car.

Also- I doubt the leaves are that green in Elmira right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back