Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak Viewliner I #62043 is fresh from Beech Grove wearing her new Phase III paint! It is going to me on the inspection train from NOL-JAX. 8400 "Indianapolis" is at Beech Grove now getting Phase III.
Are there any more sleeping cars rolling out of the shop any time soon?

Not till after the diners and dorms. The 62043 is a viewliner 1 car.

Amtrak Viewliner I #62043 is fresh from Beech Grove wearing her new Phase III paint! It is going to me on the inspection train from NOL-JAX. 8400 "Indianapolis" is at Beech Grove now getting Phase III.
Typically at least 5 (and possibly more) Viewliner Is are expected to go through POH at Beech Grove this year. Usually the financial reports have the information about expected numbers.

Typically at least 5 (and possibly more) Viewliner Is are expected to go through POH at Beech Grove this year. Usually the financial reports have the information about expected numbers.
There are 13 Viewliner Is scheduled for overhauls at Beech Grove in FY16. The normal number in recent years has been 12 ro 13 Viewliner Is per year, which works out to circa 4 year overhaul cycle with 50 Viewliner Is. So the Viewliner Is are now getting a new vinyl/paint job as part of the overhaul.
Meanwhile, the long wait for the release of the new diner cars drags on. and on...

Do you know if these viewliner I cars are being restored.updated.repaired at all or just painted?

Do you know if these viewliner I cars are being restored.updated.repaired at all or just painted?
see the post above yours

What does any of this (which has already been covered in the Phase III thread and 8400 thread) have to do with Viewliner IIs?

I realize this may have been covered earlier, but will the Viewliner 1 interiors eventually be upgraded to Viewliner 2? How much logistics work is involved in replumbing them (or actually deplumbing)?

It could be much cheaper to just build the new toilet modules and weld the room toilet covers shut. In effect the old cars would be the same as the new ones for a lot less money.

??? There are no toilet modules.

The whole room is a module. You just make more of the VL2 modules with whatever adaptations are needed (if any) so that they'll fit into a VL1 shell. Install them and cap the unused plumbing.

There are 13 Viewliner Is scheduled for overhauls at Beech Grove in FY16. The normal number in recent years has been 12 ro 13 Viewliner Is per year, which works out to circa 4 year overhaul cycle with 50 Viewliner Is. So the Viewliner Is are now getting a new vinyl/paint job as part of the overhaul.
Meanwhile, the long wait for the release of the new diner cars drags on. and on...
According to the financial reports, are there any other cars or locomotives being overhauled or restored? Where does one view the FY16?

According to the financial reports, are there any other cars or locomotives being overhauled or restored? Where does one view the FY16?
All of the rolling stock, if it is to stay in service, undergo overhauls on a regular basis. Typical cycle appears to be about every 4 to 5 years for the rolling stock. The Amfleet Is and IIs are overhauled at Bear; the Superliners, Surfliners, Horizons, Viewliners at Beech Grove.

The Chief Mechanical Officer report in the Monthly Performance Reports lists how many cars are planned to undergo level 1 or 2 overhauls for the Fiscal Year and how many have been year-to-date & how many were completed for the month. The Monthly reports can be found on the Reports and Documents webpage.

With regard to the diner cars, the overhauls were ended on the Heritage diner cars several years ago. So the Heritage diner cars are staying in service with no overhauls while waiting for the Viewliner II diner cars to show up.

It's V-1, but a diner so I thought I'd post it here. Via Facebook.

[Admin note: Photo removed as permission was not obtained prior to posting.]

Last edited by a moderator:
The photo has been removed, as proper permission was not obtained prior to posting.

Photos that are not property of the poster should only be linked to, not embedded or posted directly into the forum. If they are reposted here, the source should be linked and explicit permission needs to be obtained (or the copyright holder must have waived rights for reposting in the source page linked,) as reposting a photo does not fall under fair use.

Last edited by a moderator:
The photo has been removed, as proper permission was not obtained prior to posting.

Photos that are not property of the poster should only be linked to, not embedded or posted directly into the forum. If they are reposted here, the source should be linked and explicit permission needs to be obtained (or the copyright holder must have waived rights for reposting in the source page linked,) as reposting a photo does not fall under fair use.
Really? What is AU now a billion dollar company that someone would sue over a photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back