Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It reportedly also has track geometry and sensor equipment on-board.

But how is a system maintenance car a form of corporate extravagance?
In this case it isn't. It's sad when passengers' knowledge of the railroad are more transparent that the management. Thanks.

It's sad when passengers' knowledge of the railroad are more transparent that the management. Thanks.
In case you are suggesting that the passengers know more than the management about what a car is used for, how do you figure that to be the case? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, "inspection cars" are not solely or even primarily for maintenance purposes. A much simpler, less elaborate car could be used for that purpose. You don't need theater seating, kitchens and dining areas to perform track inspection. In Amtrak's case, you don't need to inspect BNSF or UP track either. "Inspection cars" are executive perks and are often used to wine and dine internal and external VIP's. Every railroad has them.

Amtrak has posted a FY2014 Budget, FY15 Budget Request Justification, and FY14-FY18 Five year Financial Plan all combined into one rather lengthy omnibus document. I'm still trying to parse through the thing, but it contains updated info on the Viewliner IIs. The expected fleet availability table has 25 Viewliner IIs in the fleet by the end of FY2014.

In the fleet activities, it states:

It is anticipated that the first units will be delivered to Amtrak for testing in the second quarter of FY 2014. The first car is anticipated to enter revenue service in the fourth quarter of 2014 with the final unit entering revenue service by March 2016. The total project cost will be $342.8 million. Payment for acquisition of these cars and related spare parts is being funded by annual Federal capital appropriation.
Well, the second quarter of FY2014 is over, so the cars are a bit late. Maybe they meant 2nd quarter of CY 2014?

In my experience, "inspection cars" are not solely or even primarily for maintenance purposes. A much simpler, less elaborate car could be used for that purpose. You don't need theater seating, kitchens and dining areas to perform track inspection. In Amtrak's case, you don't need to inspect BNSF or UP track either. "Inspection cars" are executive perks and are often used to wine and dine internal and external VIP's. Every railroad has them.
Don't forget though that Amtrak does have a bunch of big clients that they'll need to wine and dine at some point, the states and the federal government. Look no further than the notice that the State of Indiana posted looking for alternative operators for the Hoosier State. Or how about taking some Congressmen on a tour of the NEC and showing them the successes and opportunities that exist to upgrade the corridor. The only other car that could potentially serve that purpose is the Great Dome, but the Great Dome can't run on the NEC, and it's geared more for scenery purposes, not for looking at the physical plant.

Don't forget though that Amtrak does have a bunch of big clients that they'll need to wine and dine at some point, the states and the federal government. Look no further than the notice that the State of Indiana posted looking for alternative operators for the Hoosier State. Or how about taking some Congressmen on a tour of the NEC and showing them the successes and opportunities that exist to upgrade the corridor. The only other car that could potentially serve that purpose is the Great Dome, but the Great Dome can't run on the NEC, and it's geared more for scenery purposes, not for looking at the physical plant.
I wonder what happens to important VIP type people who have an aversion to riding backwards? Some folks really have a hard time with it. I know my wife does. We have had to wait to be seated and allow others to go before us in the diner so she can face forward. I guess that car has seats facing the right way, too, but they won't see much out the rear window!

I wonder what happens to important VIP type people who have an aversion to riding backwards? Some folks really have a hard time with it. I know my wife does. We have had to wait to be seated and allow others to go before us in the diner so she can face forward. I guess that car has seats facing the right way, too, but they won't see much out the rear window!
Actually I have found that looking out the back at receding objects doesn't have the same queasy effect on the brain as having objects sweeping past the side windows. I don't like riding backwards either, but have had no problem looking out the rear door window for an extended time. I think it is the relative speed of the visual motion

Whereas I get extremely nauseated looking out the railfan window but don't have quite the same level of nausea if I'm sitting in my roomette. I don't like it, but at least it doesn't make me sick.

I can't even watch more than 10-15 seconds of YouTube videos taken from the railfan window.

Shhhhhh! If Amtrak gets wind that the "Rail Fan Window" is popular, they may raise the price, or limit the time one can view from said window.

If the Silvers/Crescent stay in "Winter Configuration" permanently there won't be a railfan window problem anymore.

It's when the sleepers and baggage car are put on the rear of the train rather than their normal leading position (well, behind the locomotives). It's so the equipment can be swapped with the equipment of the Lakeshore Limited. Unlike every other eastern LD single level train, the Lakeshore Limited during winter stays "frozen" since it runs between New York and Chicago, so its consist is periodically swapped with that of the silvers or Crescent so it can come south and "thaw out." Due to track arrangements and the locomotive swap at Albany, the Lake Shore Limited's New York section is on the rear of the train. To avoid odd turning movements, the Eastern LD trains all run in this configuration for ease of swapping them out. I have no idea how the Boston section "thaws" out. I guess they either deadhead to New York then reshuffle or reshuffle the consist in Chicago. I'm sure the experts here can better clarify these operations!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whereas I get extremely nauseated looking out the railfan window but don't have quite the same level of nausea if I'm sitting in my roomette. I don't like it, but at least it doesn't make me sick.

I can't even watch more than 10-15 seconds of YouTube videos taken from the railfan window.
I've never seen this illustrious window, but I do remember being the only one in the family who didn't think the rear-facing seats in our station wagon were a treat.

So we have lots of postings for this inspection Viewliner, but still little to nothing on the 130 sleeper/baggage/diner/dorm order.

Not to reopen the potty talk about only sinks in rooms, but anyone who's ever worked for the railroad and stayed away from home terminal in a railroad 'clubhouse' will tell you that in such accommodations, the sink DID become a urinal. Just sayin, it will probably happen with these cars too. History has a pretty good record of repeating itself.

Not to reopen the potty talk about only sinks in rooms, but anyone who's ever worked for the railroad and stayed away from home terminal in a railroad 'clubhouse' will tell you that in such accommodations, the sink DID become a urinal. Just sayin, it will probably happen with these cars too. History has a pretty good record of repeating itself.
While I have pissed in my share of sinks in my life, they were always in a crummy location, (nasty gas station or sleazy locale) or it was because the toilet was broken. I'd think the height n location in the roomette wud be a damn good DIS-incentive to use as a urinal. There, I said it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back