Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I routinely hit the shower drain, as it saves time and reduces wear and tear on the latrine. But always before i rinse myself, so that the soap and shampoo washes off me and cleans the drain, leaving them with a nice scent!!

No one wants to lay their head next to a toilet taking them out is the best decision Amtrak has made since graham Claytor was running the place.
For a single person in a Viewliner Roomette, there is no reason to lay your head next to the toilet to sleep. Use the upper bunk. It allows you to sit until your ready to call it a night, then climb into the upper bunk. With the upper window, it is a great place for a single traveler to sleep. In the morning, you climb down and push the upper bunk up and out of the way. Two in the room is another story, but with an open toilet, I personally would not travel with two in a Viewliner roomette. My choice.

The roomette toilets are not being installed in the Viewliner II's for one reason - cost. About 10 fewer toilets to install, attach to the retention tank, and maintain. Keeping the sinks does surprise me. That is a lot of plumbing to install and maintain (including heat-trace for freeze prevention - a chronic Amtrak failure).

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with 2 in the room, your feet go next to the toilet.

Opinions are obviously divided - for single travelers, they're great. For doubles, less so (but like you, I'm going in a bedroom most of the time if there are two of us).

I can see the sink being useful in that I could wash up in my roomette and not "hog" the shared bathroom.

Not to reopen the potty talk about only sinks in rooms, but anyone who's ever worked for the railroad and stayed away from home terminal in a railroad 'clubhouse' will tell you that in such accommodations, the sink DID become a urinal. Just sayin, it will probably happen with these cars too. History has a pretty good record of repeating itself.
This thread is really going into the toilet. ;)

If the above becomes a problem, then go for a technology solution. Install a urine detector in the sink drain and sound a loud obnoxious buzzer when the detector is triggered. If that doesn't solve the problem, add a electric shock connection to the sink. With a warning label of course. A guy would only use the sink that way only once. :eek:

To be really obnoxious, it could make a public announcement which goes something like "The sink is being used as a urinal in Roomette 4". That could be remarkably embarrassing for the occupant of roomette 4, specially if the announcement is in error. :) It also would probably have a preventive value unless the occupant of roomette 4 is in dire need of attention, as some appear to be. :eek:

To be really obnoxious, it could make a public announcement which goes something like "The sink is being used as a urinal in Roomette 4". That could be remarkably embarrassing for the occupant of roomette 4, specially if the announcement is in error. :) It also would probably have a preventive value unless the occupant of roomette 4 is in dire need of attention, as some appear to be. :eek:
I can see kids sneaking into empty roomettes just to do that... :eek:

I like having my toilet conveniently in my room. Don't make assumptions for other people.
He's only following the internet discussion style book. Saying something like "I prefer ...." is not politically correct. At least he didn't (mis)use the word "insane".

Wish I had your money, Ryan.
If Ryan is like the_traveler he probably has a special arrangement with his mortgage bank to pay using the AGR Mastercard, so he can use the points to get his bedroom. :)
I can only aspire to those levels of greatness.
My sleeping car travel is almost exclusively funded by points, though. :)

The roomette toilets are not being installed in the Viewliner II's for one reason - cost.
Yep.

More evidence, and a new meaning, for the idea that Boardman has become completely fixated with the bottom line. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats it. I am hiring you for writing the humor for a revival of Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Thanks. I've enjoyed watching R & B for over 50 years. One of the things I've always liked about the humor and word play on the show is that there is often a grain or two of insight in it. Oh to be Al Momattah of Wossamotta U.!

Are there any updates on when the Viewliner II's will roll off the assembly line and begin testing?

Seriously?? One car??!! What a joke!
Have to start somewhere. Perhaps they need to do basic test runs on one car before releasing a full set for more comprehensive testing. If one Viewliner II baggage car shows up in Albany, it may be the most sought after baggage car for foamer photos ever.

Seriously?? One car??!! What a joke!
Have to start somewhere. Perhaps they need to do basic test runs on one car before releasing a full set for more comprehensive testing. If one Viewliner II baggage car shows up in Albany, it may be the most sought after baggage car for foamer photos ever.
Sure basic test runs are needed. But I think it would be much better to have something that requires a decent draw of HEP such as Diner or Sleeper. I'd even take a Bag/Dorm. Think about it. Passengers don't ride in the bag car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back