Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Outstanding, hopefully all the foamers will have cameras and take pics and that Amtrak insiders will let us know of any problems or bugs that arise!

We may be closer to the First Viewliner II going into Revenue service than most of us guessed on Ryan's Poll!

The train will be leaving the CAF plant in the morning with 3 new Viewliner cars - 62500-Sleeper, 69000 - bagg dorm and 68000 - Diner.

So, now one of each type car will be out for testing.

Bob

Do you know of anyone that's going to take pictures? I want to see these new cars, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Amtrak172

No. They will run on test trains exclusively on the NEC. Mostly between NYP and WAS with the base of ops being in PHL's Penn Coach Yard. Full commissions will be out of Hialeah, FL.
Those should be interesting trains. I would imagine a lot of night running when traffic is light?

Yes. For instance a month ago I was on a very late 66. We were going slow near MIDWAY Interlocking and a test train blew our doors off. Consisted of a cab car, VL II Bag, and an Amcan, with a AEM-7 leading. Only way I could tell was we passed the train at MIDWAY. Keep in mind that most track work on the NEC is performed at night. It's much safer for Track crews and with the amount of trains during the day it would take longer.

No. They will run on test trains exclusively on the NEC. Mostly between NYP and WAS with the base of ops being in PHL's Penn Coach Yard. Full commissions will be out of Hialeah, FL.
Those should be interesting trains. I would imagine a lot of night running when traffic is light?
A lot of early afternoon running too. Contrary to popular folklore, the NEC is not that overloaded during late morning and early afternoon either.

Looks like the testing will be done on the Empire corridor. (At least for now) I hear the 61000 will go to Albany later today.

What time is that train leaving the plant? It may just be whenever. Is somebody going to post pics of the train?

Amtrak172

Apparently there are no photos out yet. You'd expect spies at Elmira to be snapping shots the moment it happens...

How many roomettes are there in the bag dorm? I counted four windows on one side, so I'm assuming eight total. Are they standard roomettes, or modified to save space?

How many roomettes are there in the bag dorm? I counted four windows on one side, so I'm assuming eight total. Are they standard roomettes, or modified to save space?
There are 9 roomettes in the bag dorm. We need high rez photos or videos of both sides of the bag dorm. Interior publicity photos would also be useful because the bag dorm is the one type that has not been shown in photos yet.

If they have empty rooms, will they be sold as revenue space, as is the case on some trains with trans-dorms? I can imagine this being the case on some trains (such as the Cardinal), or during high-volume times (holidays, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back