Viewliner on Sunset Ltd

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniMax

Train Attendant
I recently took the Sunset Ltd from LA to Houston and was disappointed to find that there was no View Liner car. In its place was a regular dining car with the table cloths removed and a snack bar in the middle. I haven't been riding the trains much recently. Are view liner cars on other trains?

Viewliner cars are single level cars used strictly east of Chicago and New Orleans. At present in operation there are only sleeping cars, with more on order to include different types of equipment. They are under construction, but not in operation. The sleeping cars currently in use have been around for many years. It would be highly unusual to find one of these coupled to a double decker Superliner train. You were referring to the Sightseer Lounge, as the previous poster answered,

I recently took the Sunset Ltd from LA to Houston and was disappointed to find that there was no View Liner car. In its place was a regular dining car with the table cloths removed and a snack bar in the middle. I haven't been riding the trains much recently. Are view liner cars on other trains?
This is a Car called a Cross Country Cafe (CCC) that was a Diner that was Converted Stupidly and @ Great Cost by Amtrak to Serve as a Combination Diner and Sightseer Lounge Car! They are used Regularly as Diners on the Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans Routes (Run Through Equipment) and when a Diner or Sightseer Lounge Car that Are Normally on the Sunset Ltd. Route) is Bad Ordered or There Is a Shortage of Equipment Due to Inspections, Wrecks etc. They are used as A Substitute Car.! Most Passengers and Train Staff Don't Like having to Ride and Work in Them!

Oops. Right, I meant "Sightseer Lounge." Are Sightseer Lounges still used on the Sunset Limited?

The last 3 Sunset Ltd's I took NOLA to LAUS in the past 12 months had Sighteseer Lounge cars. Only trouble I had was the number f people lying down across several seats and sleeping (or pretending to be asleep), One ride even had an elderly woman surrounded by lots of bags using a crock pot, I assume, to prepare her meal.

Fortunately I had a sleeper bedroom and really didn't need the Sightseer (except to se what it looked like after 15 years not being in one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back