Viewliner Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there are windows, does anyone spend part of the day lying in the upper bunk watching the world go by from there? That alone might persuade me to "tolerate" what I see as the drawbacks of the viewliner.
I was wondering about that as well. I'm planning another trip on

a route that uses Viewliners.

However, the entire 14-hour ride will mostly be in daylight hours.

(getting on around 3AM and getting off around 5PM) Is it a waste

of money to buy a roomette if one won't be sleeping on the trip?

I do that all the time.

As to the OP, if you're that concerned about nobody pooing within 30 feet or so of where you sleep (other compartments? Really?), I would recommend not coming east.

Tim - it isn't a waste of money. You'd get breakfast, lunch, and maybe dinner (depending on the schedule), and it allows for some privacy and less noise from other pax. I know a few people who use roomettes for day trips. I would do the same thing if I had a 14-hour trip ahead of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since there are windows, does anyone spend part of the day lying in the upper bunk watching the world go by from there? That alone might persuade me to "tolerate" what I see as the drawbacks of the viewliner.
I was wondering about that as well. I'm planning another trip on

a route that uses Viewliners.
On the Viewliners, I pull the top bunk down shortly after we board. Even with the top bunk down, there is enough headroom still remaining that I can easily sit in the chairs.

My kid usually uses that top bunk as a play area. With its own window, it doesn't seem claustrophobic.

I'm against the toilet... But I love the Viewliners! More head room, more natural light, more luggage space etc. but the superliners really are nicer since they have been refurbished. Meaning they look nicer, more upscale.

The main reason I like Viewliners is because I like traditional single level equipment. The superliners just don't seem natural to me. They sway more where as the single level cars have a bit more bumps along the way. Oddly enough... I like that. Ha. I also like the viewing angle from single level cars... I always think it's strange looking out and being higher or lower than I feel I should be. (The lower level of super liners is much lower than the single level cars.)

I was mostly conditioned riding in the old single-seat roomettes and slumbercoaches, so I got used to the toilet in room and thought it was a great feature. But now that I've also ridden Superliner roomettes with my wife, I don't think the toilet is necessary and would rather have some dedicated public toilets down the hall and none in the room than one in the room and no bathroom in the car. I'm riding a Viewliner next week for the first time in years so I guess I'll see.

The main reason I like Viewliners is because I like traditional single level equipment. The superliners just don't seem natural to me. They sway more where as the single level cars have a bit more bumps along the way. Oddly enough... I like that. Ha. I also like the viewing angle from single level cars...
That's great--I've always felt the same way. I'm fine with the inside of the Superliners, but they've never seemed like "real" train cars to me. The low entrance in the middle, the double decking: aesthetically they just aren't right! And they do seem to sway more, which I think partly is a matter of physics and partly the mind.

I am a toilet fan. I will be on the Silver Meteor tomorrow and am happy that I will have a handy toilet.

As to the OP, if you're that concerned about nobody pooing within 30 feet or so of where you sleep (other compartments? Really?), I would recommend not coming east.
Huh? When did the OP say that?

I am a toilet fan. I will be on the Silver Meteor tomorrow and am happy that I will have a handy toilet.
I am a "toilet fan" too. :giggle:

All the reasons that any major hotel chain in the USA, would not build a hotel with a public/common use toilet down the hall, instead of one in each room, would/should equally apply to Amtrak too. I don't think too many of my fellow Amtrak passengers would really want to accidentally catch me staggering down the hall in my boxers, at 2am.

I was mostly conditioned riding in the old single-seat roomettes and slumbercoaches, so I got used to the toilet in room and thought it was a great feature. But now that I've also ridden Superliner roomettes with my wife, I don't think the toilet is necessary and would rather have some dedicated public toilets down the hall and none in the room than one in the room and no bathroom in the car. I'm riding a Viewliner next week for the first time in years so I guess I'll see.
I know that the 10-6 sleepers had a public restroom even though each room had its own toilet, I cannot recall if the slumbercoaches had a public restroom. I'd like to see the Viewliners with the toilets in the room but one less roomette that was converted to a public restroom. For me that would be the best of both worlds.

I know this has been discussed before, but I never paid attention because I was only interested in Superliner routes. Well now, after several Superliner trips we would like to go east, but I just cannot get excited about having a toilet right by my head where I would be sleeping, nor lower level scenery viewing. I would want to pretend that toilet wasn't there.......so is there somewhere else on the train with a "public" toilet? There would have to be in the coach car I would imagine......
I remember reading posts by people who actually prefer viewliner roomettes......anyone want to try to persuade me?.....because I love my Superliner.
Hearing that the seats can stay upright while upper bunk is down had just about made me give the Cardinal viewliner a chance on our way back to Chicago from Washington D.C. in September. But then I look at AmSnag and see that the difference in price is $204 for Capitol Limited roomette, and $475 for the Cardinal. I realize the Cardinal route is a little longer, but that's a big difference. Will have to think about this some more......

Huh? When did the OP say that?
Sorry that wasn't the OP, that was TimSpencer down thread.

My bad.

Sorry that wasn't the OP, that was TimSpencer down thread.

My bad.
??? what did I say? :)

I've been in the east since Ronald Reagan was in office. :)

Edit: I meant Jimmy Carter.

I remember reading posts by people who actually prefer viewliner roomettes......anyone want to try to persuade me?.....because I love my Superliner.
Hearing that the seats can stay upright while upper bunk is down had just about made me give the Cardinal viewliner a chance on our way back to Chicago from Washington D.C. in September. But then I look at AmSnag and see that the difference in price is $204 for Capitol Limited roomette, and $475 for the Cardinal. I realize the Cardinal route is a little longer, but that's a big difference. Will have to think about this some more....
The big price difference between the cost of roomettes on the Capitol Limited (CL) and the Cardinal is due to supply and demand. The CL runs with 3 or more Superliner sleepers, each with 14 roomettes, plus there are some more in the trans-dorm (crew) sleeper. On the other hand, the Cardinal runs with 1 (ONE) Viewliner sleeper with 14 roomettes - and some of those are use by the crew!

Since there are windows, does anyone spend part of the day lying in the upper bunk watching the world go by from there?
Hell yeah.
I lie in the upper bunk watching the scenery go by in the dark too. The Midwest and Northeast have a lot of artificial light, so there's a lot to see even at night on the LSL. (Can't speak for the other routes.)

That alone might persuade me to "tolerate" what I see as the drawbacks of the viewliner.
:)

I can actually reach my luggage from the upper bunk, too, which has been convenient.

If I ever had a Viewliner roomette to myself, I'd park myself in the upper bunk too. I like "nesting" near a window. Then I'd use the seat area for luggage, changing clothes, etc. The only reason I don't hang out in the upper bunk in a Superliner is that whole coffin feeling. /shudder If they had a window and a bit more room between the bunk and the ceiling, I'd feel better. I stick my boyfriend up there instead. He doesn't mind feeling trapped.

I know that the 10-6 sleepers had a public restroom even though each room had its own toilet, I cannot recall if the slumbercoaches had a public restroom. I'd like to see the Viewliners with the toilets in the room but one less roomette that was converted to a public restroom. For me that would be the best of both worlds.
One public toilet in each car to give people the choice would indeed be the perfect solution!!

I know this has been discussed before, but I never paid attention because I was only interested in Superliner routes. Well now, after several Superliner trips we would like to go east, but I just cannot get excited about having a toilet right by my head where I would be sleeping, nor lower level scenery viewing. I would want to pretend that toilet wasn't there.......so is there somewhere else on the train with a "public" toilet? There would have to be in the coach car I would imagine......
I must say, I have been somewhat persuaded by all of you. I'm beginning to picture myself (husband can stay down below in upright seat) watching the world go by (and staying awake half the night doing the same) in the upper bunk with windows. But I don't think I'll change my plans of going back and forth to D.C. on the Capitol Limited since the Cardinal roomette is so much more expensive, because of only one sleeper car. I will save my first experience on the viewliner for maybe the Lake Shore Limited or one of the Silver routes. But now, thanks to everyone, I won't be dreading the toilet situation.....I'll simply look forward to the pluses of the viewliner, and minimize the drawback.

I must say, I have been somewhat persuaded by all of you. I'm beginning to picture myself (husband can stay down below in upright seat) watching the world go by (and staying awake half the night doing the same) in the upper bunk with windows. But I don't think I'll change my plans of going back and forth to D.C. on the Capitol Limited since the Cardinal roomette is so much more expensive, because of only one sleeper car. I will save my first experience on the viewliner for maybe the Lake Shore Limited or one of the Silver routes. But now, thanks to everyone, I won't be dreading the toilet situation.....I'll simply look forward to the pluses of the viewliner, and minimize the drawback.
I confess, I'm a Cardinal junkie. Some of my friends have tried to get me to go to rehab, but I'm not interested. Though I suppose the new cars will force me to have a life changing moment. :giggle: I've done the superliner thing out west, but I honestly do prefer the private toilet. The Cardinal's route is beautiful especially between Montgomery, WV and DC. The New River Gorge region, the tunnel region, the Shenandoah Valley, Civil War battlefields, Capitol country. West of Montgomery I'm not as crazy about as it's basically just nice farmland (unless you happen to be awake to see Cincinnati all lit up). If I had a chance to begin and end in DC, I'd try both routes.

I do like the toilet in the rooms, as many have already said both the top and lower bunk have it so your feet are nearest the toilet. It is so convenient as I don't have to worry about looking "presentable" at 2AM while I walk to the potty, and the seals have always been tight -- never had a problem with stench. During the daytime I usually don't worry too much about closing the exterior curtains, I just wait till we pull out of a town and are passing farmland or woodland. Then lock the door and draw the curtains to the interior. If I'm traveling with someone, that person steps into the hallway or into a vacant room for a few minutes till I reopen the drapes and unlock the door. At night, you just roll over and pretend to be asleep. :blush:

I am a huge fan of the Cardinal route, and really look forward to my next trip in June. Roomette from HUN to CVS, bus to RVR (Richmond), and then the Meteor down to Fort Lauderdale! Just for the fun of riding the train, no other reason. The Cardinal does give you more time on the train, plus you get an extra meal (lunch). And as others have already said, even though it's not a double decker -- unlike the superliners the viewliners have that upper window. I'm 5'10" and probably would not like to be on the upper bunk all day, it's a bit cramped for someone of my height for just viewing, but I do spend some time up there even in the daytime, and it's my favorite spot to sleep at night.

I just don't understand the comments about "looking presentable" at xx AM when going to use the public toilet (and I am one who gets up at least once during the night to use the toilet). Who cares what you look like (as long as you're not naked). Heck, it's unlikely anyone will see you anyway.

The big price difference between the cost of roomettes on the Capitol Limited (CL) and the Cardinal is due to supply and demand. The CL runs with 3 or more Superliner sleepers, each with 14 roomettes, plus there are some more in the trans-dorm (crew) sleeper.
The cap runs with 3 Superliner Sleepers in addition to the Transdorm?

On the other hand, the Cardinal runs with 1 (ONE) Viewliner sleeper with 14 roomettes - and some of those are use by the crew!
12 Roomettes in Viewliners, unless you consider the Shower and the Attendant's room to be Roomettes too. I believe the Card loses 4 or 5 to train crew accommodation.

I just don't understand the comments about "looking presentable" at xx AM when going to use the public toilet (and I am one who gets up at least once during the night to use the toilet). Who cares what you look like (as long as you're not naked). Heck, it's unlikely anyone will see you anyway.
Ditto. I wear a t-shirt and pajama bottoms when I sleep on the train since I don't want to bring a robe, so I just put on my shoes (flats, flip-flops, or slip-on sneakers) and walk to the bathroom. I've never encountered anyone between my room and the upstairs bathroom, and even if I did, I wouldn't care. It's 3:00 a.m, prime time for zombies with bedhead and no makeup. :) I figure it's sort of like going to camp or living in the dorms; people are in pajamas, and it's no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back