Viewliner toilet in roomette - How can you stand it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see. There's a sink but no toilet. Male solo traveler. It's 3am. Hmm.

Given that scenario, as a future user of that room concerned about sanitary issues from prior occupants and the occasional less than ideal cleaning by Amtrak, I might prefer a toilet.
I don't think such a feat will be possible....
Unfortunately I don't think you give "good ol' fashioned American ingenuity" enough credit. :help: :eek: :help:
There is a reason the most expensive rooms on Amtrak - bedrooms - have their own 'facilities' and I, for one, am gonna hate to see 'the thrones' gone from the Viewliner, er Amtrak America :eek:hboy: roomettes.
BTW, for all of you longing for the nostolgia of the new Phase IIIa 'decal scheme,' the heritage roomettes HAD in room toilets. :D

Mr. Boardman says the new cars will be much more comfortable. Maybe. :huh: But think he will ever sit his butt on the toilet in one of the 'communal cans' in which it seems like the previous user didn't have "good aim?" :blink: THAT ain't a comfortable feeling, IMHO! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The Heritage 10 roomette 6 Bedrooms Sleeping Cars only accommodated 1 Adult as did all the other roomettes operated by private railroads. Even the Slumbercoach single rooms only accommodated 1 adult. I believe the double Slumbercoach rooms had private facilities, but can't remember. Roomettes were developed by the Railroad Car Builders to allow single business travelers a private room, rather than an Upper or Lower Berth in a section. Amtrak's use of the term "roomette" for a room that accommodates more than 1 adult is not the same as "roomette" operated by private railroads or in the early days of Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
The single sliumbercoach had a sink & toilet also, but then the bed was set, you could not access the toilet! :eek: I don't know about the doubles, never having ridden in one. (Only a single - no one liked me! :( )

Oh I don't know, the rest rooms in coach on 98 a few weeks ago got pretty well soiled .

It was next to the last car - lots of swing & sway ! 97 on the way back was better but certainly

not clean ! Oh BTW, this was DLD-ALX rt !

Cleaned up the sink area each time I used it but you can't control sloppy people who don't seem

to care !

One person's opinion !

With my opinion + $1 you can buy coffee at some places ! That's how much my opinion is worth !

On the "Short Way" Trip to the Gathering from AUS-CHI-WAS-ORL-NYP-CHI EVERY Single Restroom I used was Clean and Neat whether in the Coaches, in the Viewliner Roomette and the H Room, and also the Superliner Cars on the "Shorter Way" Home from CHI-PDX-LAX-AUS had Immaculate Bathrooms the Whole Way! (I'm not one bothered by the Toliets and Sinks in the Viewliner Roomettes) Excellent Crews the Entire Way!!! :hi: :)

The Heritage 10 roomette 6 Bedrooms Sleeping Cars only accommodated 1 Adult as did all the other roomettes operated by private railroads. Even the Slumbercoach single rooms only accommodated 1 adult. I believe the double Slumbercoach rooms had private facilities, but can't remember. Roomettes were developed by the Railroad Car Builders to allow single business travelers a private room, rather than an Upper or Lower Berth in a section. Amtrak's use of the term "roomette" for a room that accommodates more than 1 adult is not the same as "roomette" operated by private railroads or in the early days of Amtrak.
The double slumbercoach was laid out just like a viewliner, in room toilet, no privacy. The slumber coach did have a communal toilet at the end of the car alleviating the issue with the current viewliner layout.

The single sliumbercoach had a sink & toilet also, but then the bed was set, you could not access the toilet! :eek: I don't know about the doubles, never having ridden in one. (Only a single - no one liked me! :( )
The toilet in the single slumbercoach was not covered by the bed. The single roomette in the 10-6 was that way.

I see that the Viewliner II news has birthed lots of branch topics, including male / female responsibility for restroom unpleasantness. Yes, it's true that some guys have a aiming problem, which is exaserbated by the fact the point of exit of fluids from the male body have more distance to travel before reaching the toilet, than a femaile who would be sitting. If the guy has a curve at play in this, that might worsen things but then maybe not, he probably learned to compensate by standing at an angle. Anyway, femailes, as well as males, can and do wet toilet seats. Have seen it happen to the ladies in my family, as well as friends,. The reason is that liquids are hard to control once released. Add that to the human (or really any animal species) condition of dripping after done, and there's your wet toilet. And if you consumed alot of beverages in the last couple of hours, we got a cannon going off, don't we. Now throw in the rocking motion of a moving train, and whether a man or a woman can be challenged. We hope that everyone knows themselves well enough to check around and then clean up with some paper towels, so the next person won't ever know, like it never even happened.
This should be printed on a placard and posted in the viewliner roomettes! :giggle:

I think some people have major germ phobia. You should see some food processing facilities. I have done work in these type of facilities and the pictures of ulta clean white everything is a myth. Rotten apples going into apple sauce and spoiled tomatoes being cooked for tomatoes sauces. I think it is actually good for some germs to be introduced into the body to build up your immune system.

Also, some scientists have theorized that things being too clean is the reason for substantial increase of food allergies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back