Viewliner Upgrades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J-1 3235

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Ok One more time :)

While travelling home on the Lake Shore after a fun-filled NTD weekend, I was ticketed in Room B, of car 62021, Morning View.

I saw that work had been started on some upgrades to this car. First, I saw new light fixtures in the hallway:

New ceiling lights 62021 by J-1 3235, on Flickr

Also notice the fire alarm devices, which were installed in the bedroom, too:

Fire Alarm devices 62021 by J-1 3235, on Flickr

The attendant call buttons,

Cover from old controls 62021 by J-1 3235, on Flickr

have been replaced with this unit:

New attendant call station 62021 by J-1 3235, on Flickr

The new call and volume buttons are located on the side of the closet.

The old attendant call indicator panel has been covered

Former SCA call room diagram by J-1 3235, on Flickr

and possibly will be replaced by these small display screens, located throughout the car:

Future display screen 62021 by J-1 3235, on Flickr

I'm looking forward to a trip where you can hear the announcements if you wish, and summon the attendant when necessary.

Mike

3rd edit: mistyping and adding photos

Last edited by a moderator:
The indicator panel in the hall was blanked off, too:
5809397355_88aa441897.jpg
Is that dining car sign glued to the wall? What if the car is oriented the other way?

I was in a Viewliner last month that appeared to have new call buttons. I mentioned this to the SCA and he informed me that they did not work (yet?).

Because there are no exit doors on the diner, the Viewliners are always oriented with their single vestibule pointed towards the diner. So, there is no case where the sign is wrong.

Because there are no exit doors on the diner, the Viewliners are always oriented with their single vestibule pointed towards the diner. So, there is no case where the sign is wrong.
That is not always the case. Over Memorial Day weekend ACVitale and I were on a Silver Star where the Viewliners were oriented the other way. But AFAIR the Amfleet II Lounge was oriented the other way too, so there was a door adjacent to the Diner, but at the kitchen end. And the Coaches were oriented with their doors at the rear end relative to the direction of travel. So there was no door at the end where the Lounge was attached to the first Coach.

Over Memorial Day weekend ACVitale and I were on a Silver Star .
WWHHHAAATTT??!!! You and Al were on the Silver Star and you guys didn't ask me to come along??!!!

:)

I was returning to NY from my three week Florida vacation, but it was on the Meteor. The Star gets into NY too late. Would've been fun, though..

Happy to help!

Because there are no exit doors on the diner, the Viewliners are ALMOST always oriented with their single vestibule pointed towards the diner. So, there is no are very few cases where the sign is wrong.
That is not always the case. Over Memorial Day weekend ACVitale and I were on a Silver Star where the Viewliners were oriented the other way. But AFAIR the Amfleet II Lounge was oriented the other way too, so there was a door adjacent to the Diner, but at the kitchen end. And the Coaches were oriented with their doors at the rear end relative to the direction of travel. So there was no door at the end where the Lounge was attached to the first Coach.
I knew that if I made an absolute statement that someone would come along and provide an example of them running the other way.

I corrected myself in the nested quote. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back