Viewliner Upper Bunk

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 6' 2", yes I am young and able bodied, but I change clothes every morning in the upper bunk of a superliner
Nothing stops anyone from changing in the upper berth of a Viewliner. The curtains are quite thick.
You are correct, jis, but norfolkwesternhenry said he changes in the upper bunk of a superliner, a feat that I would expect would have challenged Harry Houdini.

I'm 6' 2", yes I am young and able bodied, but I change clothes every morning in the upper bunk of a superliner
Nothing stops anyone from changing in the upper berth of a Viewliner. The curtains are quite thick.
You are correct, jis, but norfolkwesternhenry said he changes in the upper bunk of a superliner, a feat that I would expect would have challenged Harry Houdini.
:D
Indeed! Maybe he does have a fallback plan B for a career move ;)

Agreed on all counts! :)

But with a power strip, the plug is not bad at all. And the H-Room has more floor storage for luggage.
Any idea whether a wheel chair like this could be accommodated?
XLT2_140.jpg
I think most of those are around 6 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet or so. That will fit in the H-room. However, you won't be able to get around in a street chair to places like the sink and commode. Also, you'll have to lift the handcycle into the car (it won't fit on a lift) then get yourself in so you can lift one or the other end in order to make the corners within the car. If you have quick release hubs on the rear, you can make more space once you are in the room. Or maybe rig something to secure it vertically against a wall. Be sure to keep it away from the floor heater, I cooked a tire there once. I think a Superliner would be easier than a Viewliner because the Viewliner has two doors that swing into the H-room; the Superliner has a sliding door.

If you are taking the handcycle and no other wheelchair, and can't stand and walk, then it'll be more interesting getting in, but I'm assuming you have plenty of other experience.

In coach, you'd likely have issues as a handcycle exceeds the max size public conveyances have to handle (per ADA).

You can also get a box for it. If you travel a lot you'll probably want a hardside case, I think Sportaid probably has the best prices. Racers generally will have good info but I think most of them fly.

I looked around to see if I could find any articles about handcycles on Amtrak. No luck, but someone I met some years ago wrote a book about a round-the-country tour partially using Amtrak and partially his handcycle. I'll PM a little about him in case you want to track him down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back