Visitors allowed at Los Angeles Union Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, are visitors allowed aboard the trains at Union Station Los Angeles? My brother wants to see the sleeper which I have booked, can he take a quick peek? (This is on the SW Chief).

Hello, are visitors allowed aboard the trains at Union Station Los Angeles? My brother wants to see the sleeper which I have booked, can he take a quick peek? (This is on the SW Chief).
I don't know about now, but the conductor let me look in the sleeping car rooms when I asked him about five or six years ago on the Coast Starlight at LA Union Station.

I would assume it would be the conductor's call, rather than any policy pertaining to the station.

As said, it might be the Conductor's call. But with the SWC starting in LAX and boarding well before departure, I would say you have a good chance!
smile.gif
If you were boarding in say FUL (where the train just stops for 1-2 minutes), I would say no.
sad.gif

As said, it might be the Conductor's call. But with the SWC starting in LAX and boarding well before departure, I would say you have a good chance!
smile.gif
If you were boarding in say FUL (where the train just stops for 1-2 minutes), I would say no.
sad.gif
As usual, you are correct. The SCAs on the CS at LAUS are very, very accommodating to family, friends, hangers-on, whomever wants to help a passenger climb aboard. The SCA will diplomatically remind you of the departure time. In addition, the conductor makes two reminders, about 5 minutes and 1 minute before departure, over the loudspeaker for the entire train as there are numerous helpers, etc. who assist coach passengers getting their luggage set and seats arranged.

The only issue I ever heard of was an occasional gripe from the PPC attendant about a non-pax pilfering a sweet roll or juice from the continental breakfast that used to be set up and available a half-hour or so before departure. But now those amenities are done in the Traxx Lounge, where pilfering is probably 10,000 times easier! :lol:

When I was on the SWC in 2008 at LAX there were no announcements like "we will be departing in 5 minutes" etc. At least not on the train itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
But now those amenities are done in the Traxx Lounge, where pilfering is probably 10,000 times easier! :lol:
all i have ever gotten in the traxx club, while waiting for the cs, is a cup of tea or a glass of juice and a usa today. nothing worth pilfering and they always have an attendant at the desk at the front of the roped off area to make sure everyone is "legit"

Don't know about sleepers but my wife and 2 kids came upstairs on coach to see the train for about 5 minutes. They got off about 5 minutes before the train departed. I think she just asked the attendant and was allowed on so I'd guess there is a decent chance it could happen.

Dano

Of course you should ask the SCA or conductor that boards you but Ive never had any problems in LAX with people helping carry stuff aboard/check out the sleeping car!

Shouldnt be any problem long as they are sure to be off before the train leaves as others have said!

Sounds good, look forward to it.

Will report back how my trip goes.

Going LA-CHI all the way on Chief, can't wait!

Please everyone pray for me that I have a very nice trip, with no delays, and that everything on the train work perfectly! (a/c, water, food, toilets, etc.)

rms, happy travels. I will take on the Chief from LA to Chicago myself, coach class, in about 30 days to visit friends in Michigan. It'll be my first transcontinental long distance trip ever too.....i'll definitely wish you a safe and memorable journey, and just hope the travel gods affords me the same when I go on my trip in a month...

Happy travels :)

Are the visitors allowed on the platform in the first place when boarding long distance Amtrak trains? For example, in Chicago when riding Metra anyone can get on the platform but when riding say Southwest Chiefs one must wait in Amtrak waiting room and line up to get the tickets checked and then head to the platform and board, No one is allowed without a proof of tickets.

Are the visitors allowed on the platform in the first place when boarding long distance Amtrak trains? For example, in Chicago when riding Metra anyone can get on the platform but when riding say Southwest Chiefs one must wait in Amtrak waiting room and line up to get the tickets checked and then head to the platform and board, No one is allowed without a proof of tickets.
Yes. In some stations (like CHI, WAS, NYP and PHL) you have to go thru a gate to reach the platform - but not at LAX!
wink.gif

Yes. In some stations (like CHI, WAS, NYP and PHL) you have to go thru a gate to reach the platform - but not at LAX!
wink.gif
At LAUS, you could probably bring an elephant up to the platforms through the tunnels and no one would bat an eye! :lol:

If you are polite to the SCA, ask for permission, and make sure your guests are not a disturbance by hanging out in the hallway impeding the boarding process of paying passengers, taking amenities, etc., you should be fine at LAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back