WAS Help Please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be coming into WAS on 30.

Someone is going to pick me up.

Where is the easiest place for us to meet?
Is the person meeting you inside the station or seeking to pick you up in a car? If in a car, the pickup area is in front of the station in the outside lanes from where the taxi line is.
If inside the station, I would suggest at the Amtrak information desk in the center of the passenger boarding area or if they have to wait for you, the benches in the front hall.

The easiest place is directly in front of Union Station. Perhaps you could call them on your cell when you are in the station and then head directly to the pick up location.

I have relatives in the Washington, DC suburbs. They park in the station parking garage and meet me at the information desk which is near the garage entrance. However, I try to avoid arriving during the horrendous rush hour traffic . DC area traffic is the worst I have experienced. I once took two hours to drive a rental car from WUS to Arlington, VA, across the river. I now use the Metro to go to the suburbs and make it easier on my relatives to pick me up.

There is a large roundabout in front of the station. With cell phone coordination you could be picked up somewhere on the circle, but there is no designated wait parking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help, guys :)

I'll be arriving on a Sat. so hopefully no really crazy traffic.

They'll be picking me up in a car so I'll probably try the front of the station suggestion.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

If they live south of Baltimore, you may want to meet at the BWI airport station - which is at BWI airport. Actually next door, with a large parking garage and waiting area. That might be much easier than meeting and/or driving at either WAS or BAL.

I agree about taking the train to BAL but they REALLY want to pick me up and get our vacation started ASAP

I'll try just about anything once and this may be one of those instances.

I agree about taking the train to BAL but they REALLY want to pick me up and get our vacation started ASAP

I'll try just about anything once and this may be one of those instances.

Have you considered getting off at Harpers Ferry, WV? It is roughly an hour ride from Baltimore on a good highway system. You can start your vacation sooner. It is scheduled to arrive at 11:25 AM instead of a WAS arrival at least an hour later. Depending on where you are heading could be a time saver.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty excellent idea too.

If they want to do WAS, it isn't too bad. They can pull up directly in front of the station and as long as you're out there you can jump in without them having to park. That's the easiest way.

You could take a MARC trains, which would be much cheaper than Amtrak NEC service. Or, consider being picked up in Rockville.

Bring this back up to the top because someone may find it useful.

Getting picked up and dropped at WAS was super easy - traffic is horrible but that's a given.

There are multiple, 5 if I remember correctly, lanes in the traffic circle in front of the station.

Signs designate the drop off and pick up lanes.

Takes a minute to jump out or into the car and head into the station.

If you park in the attached garage - you have to pay at one of the kiosks inside before you can leave.

Easy drive to Baltimore from there.

I recommend getting off in Rockville (my old homeplace!)also! The WAS traffic is worse than horrible and I wouldn't call the drive to Baltimore easy either!
Disclaimer: all driving to and from WAS and BAL was done on the weekend - I apologize, should have stated that earlier.

I imagine it's beyond horrible any other time because it was busy but not scary busy, to me at least.

I suppose we lucked out with no delays and our drive time was around 45 min. each way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back