What are the most scenic Amtrak routes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a 2019 CZ ride someone narrated a wonderful tour from Sacramento to RENO - she was a volunteer from the California Railroad Museum.

=================

In 2017 I called Amtrak customer service TWICE - they kept thinking I was a YouTuber - haha. But what I actually selected that Amtrak work with Google Earth and Google Map with the following:
1. The Route (CS, SWC, TE, etc)
2. Highlight anything of interest from either side’s window
3. Add associated interest and history
4. Improve GPS RECEPTION through Amtrak.

this could be done on a small budget for the most scenic routes.

On a 2019 CZ ride someone narrated a wonderful tour from Sacramento to RENO - she was a volunteer from the California Railroad Museum.

Last month, when I rode back east on the Zephyr from EMY-CHI, there was something doing a tour over the PA most of the way. I was told by my sleeper attendant that he was an assistant coach attendant (didn’t know there was such a person but I don’t ride coach on LD trains) who’s worked the route for 25 years. I think there was a narrative on the way out to California as well, too.

In August, on the Empire Builder, there was one as well. She also volunteers for a historical museum near King Street Station in Seattle. She did hers from the beginning to Wenatchee and then walked through the train and took questions.

As far as the most scenic route is concerned, it’s hard for me to choose just one, as so many have unique and beautiful things about them. However, my personal favorite would be the Empire Builder to either Seattle or Portland. On 7/8 you get Puget Sound and on 27/28 you get the Columbia River Gorge passing numerous waterfalls, rock formations and Mount Hood. Of course, on both you get Glacier National Park, the Mississippi River and Wisconsin Dells. The Zephyr is pretty amazing as well. Also, although not a LD train, the Pacific Surfliner is great as well. I’ve yet to ride the Coast Starlight south out of Sacramento, but I’ll do that soon. Out east, it’s the Cardinal, through the New River Gorge for me.

My reply, I was referring to the most senic routes in North America, Second It’s not your place to tell me when and where I can post a replyI Third I doubt very seriously if those routes you are referring to can come close to Vancouver-Banff Route, And by the way,Amtrak does run in Canada along with VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer
In their defense, you did ask for Amtrak routes, we didn’t realize you also wanted to know about all North American routes.

And I believe it’in the rules that threads should generally stay on topic, although that’s up to the moderators and administrators. 🙂

Hey, the definition of "scenic" is strictly a matter of taste. It's possible that some people really, really like looking at slums, abandoned factories and polluted waterways, so for them, the Northeast Regional between Washington and New York would be the most scenic ride on the Amtrak system. :)

I personally am quite fond of abandoned 19th century factories, but I have to say that Gary, Indiana (on the Michigan Services, LSL, or CL) is the pinnacle of that sort of view. Significantly more dramatic decayed-industrial-grandeur than you see from the NE Regional. If you like that sort of thing, that's my recommendation.

I personally am quite fond of abandoned 19th century factories, but I have to say that Gary, Indiana (on the Michigan Services, LSL, or CL) is the pinnacle of that sort of view. Significantly more dramatic decayed-industrial-grandeur than you see from the NE Regional. If you like that sort of thing, that's my recommendation.
You're right. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Some of those factories are still operating, but it's kind of hard to figure out which ones sometimes. Another such view can be found if you're riding the Capitol Limited and it's behind schedule leaving Pittsburgh eastbound. Some nice views of the Monongahela valley and the old steel mills, though there are building some new stuff (not steel mills) on the brownfield sites.

Big, big fan of "decayed industrial grandeur" (neroden's phrase) here. Perhaps unsurprising for someone who grew up in Pittsburgh. MARC Rider from MD is correct that the Capitol Limited eastbound on a summer morning is the right time. The Limited's scheduled departure is 5:20 a.m., and sunrise in Pittsburgh in midsummer is about 5:50 a.m. Even if the train leaves on time there's the early pre-dawn glow. From Pittsburgh to McKeesport (not a scheduled stop, but about a half-hour east), where the Monongahela or "Mon" River joins the Youghiogheny, is pure industry. Mostly derelict and vanished industry, though with a few exceptions, like the Edgar Thomson Works in Braddock, active since 1872. Even Connellsville, the first scheduled stop and located on the pretty Youghiogheny River, was once the "Coke Capital of the World." People who like old factories and old warehouses and old working-class houses also tend to like old bridges, and this stretch of the Limited has dozens of them.

Last edited:
Top three are the CZ, CS, and EB. After that it’s a toss up, and it comes down to what you like. I’ve written my opinions on the routes I’ve been on excluding the CZ.

Although I’ve never been on it, the CZ wins for me. It has mountains, canyons, fields, desert, even a bit of the San Pablo bay.

After that I’d say the CS. The ocean is beautiful and you can go dolphin watching from the train, and the Cascades are also pretty nice, but I’d say donner pass offers better scenery. Although in Northern California the scenery is actually very beautiful, and I’ve been able to see much of it in daylight twice. However the Salinas valley is very boring in my opinion, and I’m sure parts of Oregon and Washington can be blring for some when you’re used to it.

The Empire Builder has its highlights, the cascades, the Columbia River Gorge, glacier, and the Midwest. But for a lot of the route, big sky country, it gets boring real fast and IIRC service is limited in that section, and if it’s snowy then you’re literally seeing the same thing for the whole day.

The SWC is pleasant, glorieta and Raton pass are nice. However personally the true beauty of the route is/was the history to it, which is/was the semaphores, wig wag, and large sections of jointed rail. It can get a bit boring sometimes.

Sunset Limited, well, I don’t remember the scenery east of San Antonio. But the scenery west is just desert. Personally that’s not anything too interesting to me.

I’ve ridden the full route of the Texas Eagle once, I found the scenery pleasant. Although I’m not sure I’d still be too interested after a handful of rides.

On the Cardinal, the scenery was nice. During the scenic highlight of the new River Gorge there was a wall of trees obstructing the view for most of it, which hindered the ability to really enjoy it. The city skylines were nice as well though.

The Empire Service had good scenery, although personally I prefer mountain ranges where the train is truly going through in it like the CS and EB.

On the NEC, the New England scenery was pleasant, so were the city views.
Help me out with the abbreviations, please? What are CZ and CS? Eb is Empire Builder, right?

My reply, I was referring to the most senic routes in North America, Second It’s not your place to tell me when and where I can post a replyI Third I doubt very seriously if those routes you are referring to can come close to Vancouver-Banff Route, And by the way,Amtrak does run in Canada along with VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer

senerery!
This is a mellow form. He was merely trying to direct you to the right thread. This forum tries not to be combative like social media or talk radio

senerery!

Back