What happened here?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, you would think these things where re-entering the atmosphere from outer space or something. Another one had a cab fire this past Friday on #66. You can check out some more photos of toasted #922 here.

Jeez, these AEM-7s are getting toasted quite often lately, this is like the third one that Ive heard of that got burnt up this summer, what is going on with them?!

Maybe there is a design flaw or something that is causing this problem?

tp49 said:
Maybe there is a design flaw or something that is causing this problem?
I would think it would have to be age. Looks like another Meatball has burnt. Oh the Humanity! :unsure:

AlanB said:
More likely it's a lack of maintenance problem, caused by lack of funding. :angry:
Most likely these fires are due to lack of maintenance, but more over, lack of rebuilds. I'm sure after almost 24 years of service there is a lot of wire wear and for an electric locomotive that can be a problem. One spark can cause a whole burn out. I'm sure the shells from these burnt toasters can be salvaged, but all new mechanics and a new cab will surely have to be installed (and as Alan said, not until we get more funding!).

Amtrak Washington spokesman Dan Stessel said the train was suffering engine failure around 5:42 a.m. when it pulled into Madison station with 151 passengers on board. Trainmen then spotted an engine fire on the roof of the engine, which was "quickly extinguished by the crew," Stessel said.
The full story from the New Haven Register.

Not always can the units be salvaged from the fires, I think 913, a unit that burt up a year or two ago, was burt so bad that the heat of the fire tweaked the frame and it had to be scrapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back