What happened to Silver Service & Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MDRailfan

I noticed an announcement on Amtrak web site that CSX halted service. Does anyone know what this is about and for how long?

I have no idea, but I'm scheduled to be on the Silver Meteor on Friday, so I hope the problem gets fixed by then!

Two problems.

First, one of the two CSX routes Amtrak uses for Florida service (the S Line) was inspected by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and so many defects were found that the route is effectively closed for passenger service until further notice. This took the Silver Star, which uses the S Line, and put it over onto the other CSX route (the A Line).

Then, a CSX coal train on the A Line derailed early this morning (Saturday 6/2) near Smithfield NC. That, of course, closed the A Line. So, until the wreck is cleared, there are no routes open between the Northeast and Florida.

The good news is that wrecks are cleared quickly so a Friday departure for the Meteor should be OK. The bad news is that the S Line issues will not be as fast to correct and the traffic re-routes may result in congestion and delays on the A Line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I called AMTRAK and they told me about the derailment, and said it should take a few days to clear it up. Here's hoping nothing goes wrong so I can go to Florida!

from amtrak.com

Service Alert: Trains to and from South Carolina, Georgia and Florida
June 2, 2007

6:15 a.m. EDT

CSX railroad has informed Amtrak the route used by passenger trains between the Northeast and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida is unavailable because of a freight train issue near Selma, North Carolina.

* There will not be originations today in either direction for the Auto Train (Trains 52 & 53) and Palmetto (Trains 89 & 90).

* There will not be a northbound origination today of the Silver Meteor from Miami (Train 98) and the northbound Silver Star (Train 92) from Miami today will operate only to points within Florida.

* There will not be southbound originations today of the Silver Star (Train 91) and Silver Meteor (Train 97) from New York City.

Passengers on trains already dispatched at the time of the CSX railroad closure will continue to their destinations by using trains on detours or by alternate transportation.

Service by Acela Express, Regional and other trains on the Northeast Corridor are not affected by this service disruption in North Carolina. Also unaffected are the Crescent (Trains 19 & 20) via Atlanta, the Piedmont (Trains 73 & 74) and the Carolinian (Trains 79 & 80) to and from Raleigh, N.C.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience.

This information is correct as of the above time and date and will be updated as needed. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

from amtrak.com
Service Alert: Trains to and from South Carolina, Georgia and Florida* There will not be southbound originations today of the Silver Star (Train 91) and Silver Meteor (Train 97) from New York City.
That's going to be a lot of ticked off passengers!! I can't imagine the next day's Auto Train would have space for vehicles or people from the canceled train.

That's going to be a lot of ticked off passengers!! I can't imagine the next day's Auto Train would have space for vehicles or people from the canceled train.
It might have room for a few people, but certainly not everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting question is what do they do with the two AutoTrains that were enroute when the derailment closed the line? It is not a matter of just ordering some buses. They have a trainload of cars and the passengers need those cars and the luggage in the cars. The cars can only be unloaded at Lorton and Sanford. Detour routes are scarce with the problems on the S Line. What a mess.

The Auto Trains that were enroute were detoured via other routes, and had to get CSX pilots. Those two trains have an ETA at their respective terminals of 11 to 15 hours late.

What worries me if the FRA car at some point inspects the "A" line and finds the same problems as the "S" line. Then what?

In a previous thread there was discussion about a route via Charlotte on the NS - maybe something can be worked out for at least 1 train.

Update from Amtrak as of 1:30 pm, Sunday June 3rd, 2007:

June 3, 20071:30 p.m. EDT

CSX railroad has informed Amtrak the route used by passenger trains between the Northeast and the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida is disrupted following a freight train-related issue near Selma, North Carolina that occurred late the evening of June 1.

Only Amtrak service remains disrupted:

There will not be a southbound origination of the Silver Star (Train 91) from New York City on Monday, June 4.

Alternate transportation will be the operating trains on the route, which are the northbound Silver Star (Train 92) from Miami and the northbound and southbound Silver Meteor (Trains 97 & 98) from New York and Miami. Passengers holding tickets to stations in North Carolina and South Carolina that are unique to the Silver Star route will be provided alternate transportation.

Service by Acela Express, Regional and other trains on the Northeast Corridor are not affected by the service disruption.

Also unaffected are the Crescent (Trains 19 & 20) via Atlanta, the Auto Train (Trains 52 & 53) between suburban Orlando and suburban Washington, the Piedmont (Trains 73 & 74) and Carolinian (Trains 79 & 80) to and from Raleigh, N.C., and the Palmetto (Trains 89 & 90) to and from Savannah, Georgia.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience.

This information is correct as of the above time and date and will be updated as needed. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back