What is first class on AMTRAK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve P.

Train Attendant
In reading this forum, it sounds like when people refer to 1st class they are referring to people having a sleeper. Is that correct? Or is having a sleeper completely different from first class. Inquiring minds want to know (lol).

The only class of service on Amtrak that is referred to as "First Class" is on the Acela.

By the generic definition of "first class" as "the highest class of service available", that would be sleepers on LD trains, so it isn't incorrect to refer to it as such.

I believe that officially First Class is only found on the Acela. However most people consider Sleepers as First Class, as that's what they essentially are.

System-wide Amtrak has 5 'levels' of Service*:

Acela First Class

Sleeper Car Service

Business Class

Coach Class

Accessible Seating

peter

*Pulled from pages 132-133 of the National Timetable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, First Class on Amtrak is traveling in a sleeping car. Your meals in the dining car are included in the fare, and you can use the first class lounge in the stations that have one.

You will also have a sleeping car attendant who will make up your beds and have fruit juice and coffee available near you compartment.

Don't be afraid to ask the sleeping car attendant for service (a tip would be nice) but in any case they'll help you if you somehow miss the dining car seating announcement, and will make your beds at the time you want.

This is the definition on the long distance trains. Acela I don't know about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different trains have different classes of service. For example, the Pacific Surfliner has Business and Coach class. Most long-distance trains (maybe all, I haven't traveled on every train) have Sleeping Car and Coach accommodations. I haven't ridden the Acela. The Northeast Corridor trains have Business and Coach class.

The airlines have a similar system. Some flights only have Coach/Economy, some have First and Coach/Economy, some also have Business Class for 3 classes on the same aircraft.

Actually, First Class (as said) is only on Acela. Sleepers used to be called (and still are by many) First Class, but is officially "Sleeping Car Class". That is why the Club Acelas in BOS, NYP, PHL and WAS state that they are for First Class and Select+ members only, but sleeping car passengers may also use them!

Amtrak does indeed refer to sleeper passengers as "First Class" passengers also.

Amtrak has "First Class Lounges" in St. Paul, St. Louis, Raleigh, New Orleans and Miami -- cities which are not served by Acela.

New Orleans has the Magnolia Room, not a First Class Lounge.
Per Amtrak's web site:

First Class Lounge <---------------------[my arrow]

Unattended, separate sleeping car passenger and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus member waiting rooms are available in the following stations:

• St. Paul/Minneapolis
  • St. Louis
  • New Orleans
  • Raleigh
  • Miami

Guest said:
1341194262[/url]' post='377238']Amtrak does indeed refer to sleeper passengers as "First Class" passengers also.

Amtrak has "First Class Lounges" in St. Paul, St. Louis, Raleigh, New Orleans and Miami -- cities which are not served by Acela.
Maybe so, but call up 1-800-USA-RAIL and request a First Class ticket from STL to MSP or MSP to MIA and see what the agent says!

I believe that officially First Class is only found on the Acela. However most people consider Sleepers as First Class, as that's what they essentially are.

System-wide Amtrak has 5 'levels' of Service:

Acela First Class

Sleeper Car Service

Business Class

Coach Class

peter
Um, I think that is four classes, not five.

Here is my understanding of Amtrak classes:

LD trains: Coach and Sleeper Classes

SD trains: Coach and Business Classes, latter is not always available

Acela: Business and First Classes

Some trains do not fit this list.

System-wide Amtrak has 5 'levels' of Service:

Acela First Class

Sleeper Car Service

Business Class

Coach Class

peter
Um, I think that is four classes, not five.

Here is my understanding of Amtrak classes:

LD trains: Coach and Sleeper Classes

SD trains: Coach and Business Classes, latter is not always available

Acela: Business and First Classes

Some trains do not fit this list.
No there is 5, I just forgot to list the 5th. I pulled them straight from the back of the National Timetable (p.132-133). The forgotten one is the Accessible Seating. I'll update my original post as well.

peter

Well I don't know but I was on crescent 20 going to Philly and Crescent 19 coming from Philly in sleeper(H bedroom going and A bedroom returning), I felt first class on both trains. The service was great and the personal attention was on point. It wasn't a 5 star hotel, but def first class to me.

Chicago has the best lounge for sleeper passenger on the system.

Technically, IMO, the only place one will find "first class" on amtrak is of course on the Acela. That is the only class that is actually called First Class by amtrak.

But at the end of the day, everything is really just semantics.

Chicago has the best lounge for sleeper passenger on the system.
Have you been in Philly and Boston, IMO theyre better cause the Staff is friendlier! Hopefully when the rehab of CUS is completed the New CHI Lounge will have new people working there! :help:
I agree, I like Philly and Boston the best! the one thing I really like about the Chicago lounge, though, is the luggage room so you can do some sightseeing without worrying about your stuff. The luggage rooms in the Club Acela are unattended.

amtkstn said:
1341240754[/url]' post='377343']Chicago has the best lounge for sleeper passenger on the system.
Have you ever wondered why it's called "The Metropolitan Lounge"' and not a "First Class Lounge"?
huh.gif
I can't remember the last time I saw an Acela at CHI, but I do see many sleeping cars there! And the same goes for PDX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back