What new route do you want Amtrak to use

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely in the interest of fantasy (there probably isn't enough right-of-way to ever consider such routes) I think it would be great to have a big "x" across the western states, crossing in Denver: SEA to NOL via D/FW, OKC, etc., and LAX to MPL via LSV, SLC, etc...

The Montrealer, starting out in Richmond, equipped with the Bistro Car and baby grand piano, full diner and a tavern lounge observation bringing up the rear. Oh, what I would give for a 6 double bedroom (or better yet drawing rooms or master rooms) bar lounge car thrown into the consist. Dream on; it'll never happen in my lifetime again.

Connection between Florida and Atlanta/North Georgia is a must. I hate driving 10 hours to mountains, I would prefers sleeping in the train instead :)
i agree. a line that follows the path of the silver service trains to jacksonville (or through gainesville) and then cuts northwest through waycross and eventually to atlanta.

another idea that i think would be logical would be from miami to tallahassee (with intermediate stops) and then on through montgomorey, birmingham, huntsville/decatur, nashville, chicago

Yes, courtesy of the late, great PRR, the CSX, Effingham to Saint Louis.

According to some info I received yesterday from the Mid-West High Speed Rail Association, there's talk of Amtrak service to Decatur, IL. Millikin University is located there. With an enrollment of 2,500, I would think the ridership could be considerable.

The Montrealer, starting out in Richmond, equipped with the Bistro Car and baby grand piano, full diner and a tavern lounge observation bringing up the rear. Oh, what I would give for a 6 double bedroom (or better yet drawing rooms or master rooms) bar lounge car thrown into the consist. Dream on; it'll never happen in my lifetime again.
There is a private trainset, formerly American Orient Express. The new name is GrandLuxe Rail. Good thing that it is running in your lifetime :D

Shouldn't Amtrak be foucsing on Corridor routes? I do agree a N-S LD Train is needed.
I for one don't think so. Amtrak is the National Railroad Passenger Corporation and therefore is should be focusing on all types of routes from short haul, to corridor, to State assisted, to long distance. If properly funded, properly marketed, properly managed, and properly run then all types of routes should be viable and potentially useful to those who need to find a train run by the NRPC.

There is a private trainset, formerly American Orient Express. The new name is GrandLuxe Rail. Good thing that it is running in your lifetime :D
And it wil take a goodly chunk of your lifetime earnings to pay for a ride on it.

Oh! How I miss the train route from Houston to Denver to Billings. Used to take that journey several times a year to visit back and forth with my family. That was half a century ago!

And it wil take a goodly chunk of your lifetime earnings to pay for a ride on it.
I wonder if they even know what SDS stands for ??? :)

In no particular order, 6 additions that would do well given decent schedules and track conditions-

1. LA-Vegas

2. Texas Triangle

3. 3-C Corridor

4. Minneapolis-Texas

5. Crescent Star

6. Chicago-Indianapolis-Nashville-Atlanta-Jacksonville-Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back