What's it like on a Viewliner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junebug

Lead Service Attendant
I've only taken Superliners. I love the view from the lounge cars. I'm going east this time, on a Viewliner. Are the lounge and the dining cars at ground level like the cafe car on a Superliner?

The single-level cafe cars (there are no lounge cars) are Amfleets, not Viewliners. Decor-wise they are similar to the lower level of a Superliner Cafe. The layout is split into 3rds, one third is table seating, the center third is the cafe counter where you order your food and the last third is either more table seating or biz class, depending on the train.

peter

The Baggage, Dining, and Sleeping cars on most single level trains is or will be Viewliner cars. The Viewliner sleeper which has been around for years, had 12 Roomettes, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Handicap Room, 1 SCA Roomette, and a Shower Room. All bathrooms facilities, toilet and sink, are in each room. The bed in the Roomettes pulls down from the ceiling, so with lower and upper windows, both beds can look outside. Any LD train to/from NYP will be single level due to the height of the tunnels going under the rivers into Manhattan.

When the new VL2 sleepers come on line to supplement the current VL1 they will not have the toilet in the roomettes, and will have one less roomette, replacfed by 2 toilets. There is a single VL1 prototype diner (8400) that has been around for a while, right now, odds are greatly in favor of getting an older "Heritage" diner.

Although the Viewliners are newer and thus a little nicer and less-worn, I prefer the Superliner trains for first class accommodations. (IMO, Beech Grove does a great job of keeping them "fresh.") The Viewliners, being modular in nature, are somewhat "sterile;" however, the upper berth window is a BIG plus. The Superliner Lounge car is far superior to the Amfleet Cafe car. I also like the large luggage stowing area on the lower floor of the Superliner, which the Viewliner does not have. I have not yet had the pleasure of patronizing a Viewliner Diner, so I can't offer a comparison there. I have to admit, though, that the old Heritage Diners did have a certain nostalgic quality. The toilet in VL1 cars was convenient for certain "duties," but not a good idea for "others." I don't really miss them on the VL2's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Viewliner sleeper accommodations do have a lot more headroom. The ceiling isn't anywhere as close to the top bunk, as it is on a Superliner. The Viewliner sleepers also have that private luggage storage "cubby" in roomettes.

I am going to miss the toilet in the VL2 roomettes. I am going to hate having to get dressed, if I need to "go" in the middle of the night. Though, maybe I wouldn't bother getting dressed, and hope to not run into anyone in the hallway that late at night. :D

I have not been on a Superliner, but I would imagine the biggest difference in atmosphere is that there are fewer places to socialize on the Viewliners, at least out here on the east coast. The choices are having meals in the dining car, sitting in the café car, or getting off at WAS and watching the engine change. In my experience, nobody talks to each other in the café car (you have a lot of people from the Northeast who are used to crowded commuter trains and don't want to socialize on vacation), the engine change can be you watching all by yourself or a couple of other train fans with you, and the dining car (at least for me) has usually been a very nice experience, where you meet all sorts of interesting people with fascinating careers and good conversation. (This is one reason why many of us are so sad that the Star no longer has its diner--the food is secondary to the good company.) I have only been on the Silvers and the Crescent, so the atmosphere might be a bit different on the other Viewliners.

The eastern lounges are DEFINITELY a downgrade from the western ones. Of course, the eastern scenery is a definite downgrade too, so you're not missing much. ;)

The VL sleepers, though, put the SL sleepers to shame. To SHAME. My favorite sleeper accommodation on Amtrak is the VL Roomette, where you can spend the night in the top bunk lying in bed watching the world go by out the oversized window, instead of pretending that you're Dracula in order to try and get to sleep. Not to mention the headroom, the ability to use the upper bunk for storage, the ability to leave the upper bunk in "bed" mode and have a separate "Sitting" area downstairs if you become nappish, the cubbyhole above the hallway for extra storage, the in-room amenities (while they last), the lack of a staircase that a kindergartner could get claustrophobic on... need I go on? ;)

In the Viewliner Roomette I set myself up as if I am in a small apartment. I get the SCA to set up the upper berth as my sleeping accommodation soon after I get on board. Then onwards, downstairs is my living room and upstairs my bedroom. It is easy to slide the bunk down when I wish to use the bedroom, and slide it up when I wish to use the living room. And both rooms have a nice large window, so no matter which room I am using I can watch the world go by my window. Can't use that arrangement in the Superliners, in which the Roomettes feel basically more like a closet with a window with low sloping ceiling. Just IMHO of course.

If traveling by myself on a VL, having the toilet in the room is fine, but when traveling with a daughter or granddaughter, then it is a real issue both day and especially at night. I too sleep on the upper and use the lower for sitting when by myself. This has been great during those nights I have trouble sleeping, I just look out the window at the passing towns or sometimes I sit up below reading for a bit to get sleepy again. I have been on a VL on several trains out of Chicago or New York or catching one mid-way whether it be in Georgia or Upstate New York, my customers are across the lower 48. I do find less socializing on the VL, also I have had a number of winter trips where the plumbing froze and burst, a Crescent trip in particular comes to mind. Over all there are pros and cons to both, but since lately I seem to travel with a female companion a lot, I do prefer the Superliners.

The less socializing does not bother me much, since, as those that have traveled with me already know, If I have my book and music on hand I don't much care about socializing on trains anyway. Train travel is primarily "me time" for me, who gets precious little of it in everyday life due to various obligations - business, family and friends.

Here's a video of a Viewliner diner taken at GCT during train day a few years back. The only thing that's missing is the rocking motion and some food being served! You have to imagine that.

Btw youtube.com is a GREAT source of videos for all things Amtrak, especially people's roomette and bedroom tours. They love to show their accommodations. A picture is worth 1,000 words. So I'll halt this post.

The Baggage, Dining, and Sleeping cars on most single level trains is or will be Viewliner cars. The Viewliner sleeper which has been around for years, had 12 Roomettes, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Handicap Room, 1 SCA Roomette, and a Shower Room. All bathrooms facilities, toilet and sink, are in each room. The bed in the Roomettes pulls down from the ceiling, so with lower and upper windows, both beds can look outside. Any LD train to/from NYP will be single level due to the height of the tunnels going under the rivers into Manhattan.
This is not quite accurate. There is only one Viewliner dining car running around the east these days. Hopefully, more to come in the near future, though.

I mentioned earlier that the only VL diner running is 8400 the rehabbed VL1 prototype, If you ride as a passenger on a single level train, unless you are in a sleeper, or are baggage, you are probably not in a VL. Bags are delivered, A small group of Diners, Bag/Dorms, and VL2 sleepers are out testing, they are not in regular service. Single level diners (except 8400) are all Heritage, coaches and lounges and business class cars are all Amfleet or Horizon save for an occasional guest appearance by the dome car. (and North Carolina Cars, Acela, Talgo, repurposed Metroliner cars, and the rebuilt Comets in California to keep the purists happy)

I have been on a single level train once, the LSL to NYP, but never went to the lounge. Had a roomette and it was just fine. Goint on the Crescent from NOL to NYP this summer, though, in a bedroom (AGR Reward), and might be disappointed if there is nothing that resembles a SSL...... :(

Is there no car with "T-tops" like the western SSL? Is there a place to "sight-see" besides your own room and the diner?

Is there no car with "T-tops" like the western SSL? Is there a place to "sight-see" besides your own room and the diner?
Amtrak owns one classic (heritage) Full-Dome single-level car, Ocean View; however because there is only one, it can only be on one train at a time. So chances are, you aren't going to get it.

Viewliner cars aren't like SSL and other Domes, there are no roof windows, just the two rows of windows down the sides. And unlike the Lounge cars, the windows are more spread apart & the top row is pretty small. Not the best for 'enjoying the view' (from a seat) but great for watching the world from an upper bunk or letting more natural light into a dining area.

If you want some place else to go besides your seat or room, your only option (provided Ocean View isn't on your train) is the Amfleet or Horizon Cafe car.

peter

Another wrinkle in the roomette toilet picture is that the 25 VL2 sleepers being built will keep the sink, but not have the toilet. Much discussion previously in other threads with greatly varying opinions. Speculation on whether the 50 VL1 sleepers will be modified but nothing definite. Always reminds me of the story of the man that God grants the ability to ask him one question. The man looks up and inquires "Lord, will there ever be peace in the Middle East?" The Lord thinks for a second and answers "yes my son, but probably not in my time"

All these answers about the sleepers when the OP asked about the lounge and diner specifically. Yes, she used Viewliner in the topic, but that was just because she does not know that the single level trains are made up of a mix of types of cars (viewliners, amfleets, horizons). I'm not that familiar with the different "makes" of cars myself.

Fair point. East Coast/Midwest single level trains do not have anything near as nice as the Superliner Sightseer Lounge. They generally use one of the versions of either Amfleet or Horizon food service cars, some of them are tables/counter/business class, some are tables/counter/tables.I remember a version with tables/counter/regular seating, but have not seen one in a long time, they may be gone. There were a group with glass enclosed smoking rooms at one end, those are long gone for sure. They do not have the large viewing windows, or "lounge type" seating you would see in a SSL car. The diners have the kitchen/prep area at one end, since there is no downstairs. Depending on refurb, the Heritage Diners interiors may be a little different from each other,, but it is basically booth seating.

They are unquestionably lower than Superliner, but a very sweet ride. I think I prefer them to Superliners actually, and I didn't think I would. The Heritage diners have great vibe.

I am going to miss the old Budd diners. Good riding dependable old cars, the last of the Budds in regular Amtrak cars.

I am going to miss the old Budd diners. Good riding dependable old cars, the last of the Budds in regular Amtrak cars.
When they go, it will be much like the retirement of a classic airliner. Something we take for granted while they are around and then really miss when they are gone. Think of how mundane the DC-8 or 707 was in its heyday and now, at least as airliners, they survive only in pictures and models.

When they go, it will be much like the retirement of a classic airliner. Something we take for granted while they are around and then really miss when they are gone. Think of how mundane the DC-8 or 707 was in its heyday and now, at least as airliners, they survive only in pictures and models.
And in John Travolta's private hangar....

Thank you for so much information! You guys are the best. I'm a socializer on the train, and I love the dome windows Superliners. It sounds like the only thing better is the roomettes, where the top bunk has the nice view.

But....

The view won't matter! Neither will the lack of socializing. I looked at the schedules I found out most of the ride is at night. I'm going from Chicago to Birmingham, Alabama.

I'm traveling by myself, so I'll take the top bunk! Have you ever put both mattresses on one bed when you travelled solo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back