What's it like on a Viewliner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there no car with "T-tops" like the western SSL? Is there a place to "sight-see" besides your own room and the diner?
Amtrak owns one classic (heritage) Full-Dome single-level car, Ocean View; however because there is only one, it can only be on one train at a time. So chances are, you aren't going to get it.

Viewliner cars aren't like SSL and other Domes, there are no roof windows, just the two rows of windows down the sides. And unlike the Lounge cars, the windows are more spread apart & the top row is pretty small. Not the best for 'enjoying the view' (from a seat) but great for watching the world from an upper bunk or letting more natural light into a dining area.

If you want some place else to go besides your seat or room, your only option (provided Ocean View isn't on your train) is the Amfleet or Horizon Cafe car.

peter
How would you find out if the train you're on is the Ocean View? Luck of the draw? I did the drive from Chicago to Birmingham a couple of months ago. It only took around 12 hours. I'm taking the two day train ride purely because I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there no car with "T-tops" like the western SSL? Is there a place to "sight-see" besides your own room and the diner?
Amtrak owns one classic (heritage) Full-Dome single-level car, Ocean View; however because there is only one, it can only be on one train at a time. So chances are, you aren't going to get it.

Viewliner cars aren't like SSL and other Domes, there are no roof windows, just the two rows of windows down the sides. And unlike the Lounge cars, the windows are more spread apart & the top row is pretty small. Not the best for 'enjoying the view' (from a seat) but great for watching the world from an upper bunk or letting more natural light into a dining area.

If you want some place else to go besides your seat or room, your only option (provided Ocean View isn't on your train) is the Amfleet or Horizon Cafe car.

peter
How would you find out if the train you're on is the Ocean View? Luck of the draw? I did the drive from Chicago to Birmingham a couple of months ago. It only took around 12 hours. I'm taking the two day train ride purely because I love it.
For the most part it's luck of the draw, in fact I think for a good part of the year Ocean View just sits in a yard somewhere (LA?) Sometimes an announcement will be made by Amtrak online before it runs on a train. The Dome is also used for private rental trips & as part of the OCS.

However it's big advertised use is for the Fall Color runs on the Adirondack. Amtrak will post more information (like schedules) closer to when it runs online, but for now here is the page about the Fall Color runs: https://www.amtrak.com/fall-travel-on-the-great-dome-car

peter

peter
Your train won't have Ocean View. Getting that on your train, and accessible, without a lot of pre-trip fanfare about it being on there, is akin to winning the lottery.

Thank you for so much information! You guys are the best. I'm a socializer on the train, and I love the dome windows Superliners. It sounds like the only thing better is the roomettes, where the top bunk has the nice view.

But....

The view won't matter! Neither will the lack of socializing. I looked at the schedules I found out most of the ride is at night. I'm going from Chicago to Birmingham, Alabama.

I'm traveling by myself, so I'll take the top bunk! Have you ever put both mattresses on one bed when you travelled solo?
Both thin mattresses are used when using only the top bunk.

Here are some recent ViewLiner roomette photos.

VL shower(1in car)

Some SCA's try very hard to make people feel welcome. Going home from Chicago last year the SCA had little cards taped at each room welcome aboard so and so. A nice friendly touch. Unfortunately, room numbers had been re assigned from the original asignments because the car number changed (the LSL Boston Sleeper) I'm not sure why room numbers changed since we all stayed in the same car. Many passengers had their original e-tickets, they never looked at the attachment in the alert email with a different room assignment. The SCA put the cards up based on his up to date manifest. Passengers got on and some went to the wrong (and possibly already occupied) roomettes.

Enjoyable look at the VL. roomette. When I travel solo, I usually sleep in the lower and use the upper as a shelf. Solo travelers usually like the individual toilet, not so popular for 2 in the room. The VL2s coming soon will have the sink, but the toilet will be gone.

I look at the Viewliner Roomette as a 2 level 4 room Suite and get non-rail friends amazed when I describe it as such. Upstairs is the Bedroom and Storage Room and downstairs is the Day Room/Lounge and Restroom. Try finding that on all but Extreme First Class airlines!

The "2 level 4 room suite" is an image I haven't previously associated with my Amtrak roomette (well, maybe 2 level). You're right that the airlines "may" have Amtrak beat when it comes to first class amenities, however:

SIA-A380-first-class-suite-780.jpg

741229-emirates-first-class.jpg

post-10156-0-69762800-1463223068.jpg
I see I need to have a little chat with my SCA about his inadequate turn-down service. :D

One thing I really like about the Superliners is the larger amount of "public space" on each car as compared to the Viewliner.

For example, it's a lot easier to pass people in the hallway of a Superliner sleeping car, as one person can step down the stairwell to let someone else by. It also seems like the various corners, nooks, and crannies are a little bigger on the Superliner.

Secondly, if you just want to stand up for a few minutes (without having to go down to the lounge), there are more places within a Superliner car to do so. Personally, I really like standing on the landing in the middle of the stairs - there's a great window there right at eye level when you're standing up. If someone needs to use the stairs I can quickly move up or down to get out of the way. Plus, you have the whole vestibule area, which has two windows and is usually unoccupied between stops.

So, trekking through the train from one end to the other is a lot easier in a Superliner, & it's just a more pleasant place to be. Sure, those ultra-first-class airplane "suites" look nice, and many of the Superliner cars could use some work. But aside from the benefits of rail vs air, I'd still take a Superliner sleeping car over any airplane.

My first thought was the City of New Orleans on the way to Mardi Gras.

One thing I really like about the Superliners is the larger amount of "public space" on each car as compared to the Viewliner.

For example, it's a lot easier to pass people in the hallway of a Superliner sleeping car, as one person can step down the stairwell to let someone else by. It also seems like the various corners, nooks, and crannies are a little bigger on the Superliner.

Secondly, if you just want to stand up for a few minutes (without having to go down to the lounge), there are more places within a Superliner car to do so. Personally, I really like standing on the landing in the middle of the stairs - there's a great window there right at eye level when you're standing up. If someone needs to use the stairs I can quickly move up or down to get out of the way. Plus, you have the whole vestibule area, which has two windows and is usually unoccupied between stops.

So, trekking through the train from one end to the other is a lot easier in a Superliner, & it's just a more pleasant place to be. Sure, those ultra-first-class airplane "suites" look nice, and many of the Superliner cars could use some work. But aside from the benefits of rail vs air, I'd still take a Superliner sleeping car over any airplane.
I like standing on those steps too! Great place to take photos. Also the end of the train looking out the back window, but that can be done on any train, I suppose.
Well, I waited way too long to make my reservation. I can go anytime up until the 18th of June. All the roomettes cost an arm and a leg :(

Fooey. I think I will have to fly.

post-260-0-24540900-1463150227.jpg

So, I gotta ask... what's the train with the leis? I do not believe Amtrak runs any trains to Hawaii...
LakeShore Limited in April. Each roomette had a name tag which is something I wish other SCAs would do.

The Baggage, Dining, and Sleeping cars on most single level trains is or will be Viewliner cars. The Viewliner sleeper which has been around for years, had 12 Roomettes, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Handicap Room, 1 SCA Roomette, and a Shower Room. All bathrooms facilities, toilet and sink, are in each room. The bed in the Roomettes pulls down from the ceiling, so with lower and upper windows, both beds can look outside. Any LD train to/from NYP will be single level due to the height of the tunnels going under the rivers into Manhattan.
Are there stil toilets in the viewliner roomettes? Specifically on the LSL?

Some SCA's try very hard to make people feel welcome. Going home from Chicago last year the SCA had little cards taped at each room welcome aboard so and so. A nice friendly touch. Unfortunately, room numbers had been re assigned from the original asignments because the car number changed (the LSL Boston Sleeper) I'm not sure why room numbers changed since we all stayed in the same car. Many passengers had their original e-tickets, they never looked at the attachment in the alert email with a different room assignment. The SCA put the cards up based on his up to date manifest. Passengers got on and some went to the wrong (and possibly already occupied) roomettes.
it is very nice to see personal touches. I personally haven't experienced much of it aboard Amtrak. If I worked on the train I would totally do it! A little effort goes a long way to make people feel appreciated and also maybe inspire some tipping action!

The Baggage, Dining, and Sleeping cars on most single level trains is or will be Viewliner cars. The Viewliner sleeper which has been around for years, had 12 Roomettes, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Handicap Room, 1 SCA Roomette, and a Shower Room. All bathrooms facilities, toilet and sink, are in each room. The bed in the Roomettes pulls down from the ceiling, so with lower and upper windows, both beds can look outside. Any LD train to/from NYP will be single level due to the height of the tunnels going under the rivers into Manhattan.
Are there stil toilets in the viewliner roomettes? Specifically on the LSL?
Yes. It is the new Viewliner II sleepers which will lack in room toilets, and those have yet to be delivered or enter service. The Viewliner I sleepers on the trains now have toilets in each Roomette.

That handwriting looks familiar, sort of like the little cards the SCA had on my last trip on the LSL. Probably the same SCA. Friendly and efficient without being over the top. Excellent trip.

If traveling by myself on a VL, having the toilet in the room is fine, but when traveling with a daughter or granddaughter, then it is a real issue both day and especially at night.
I was wondering about this very point - I am taking my family on a trip on the Cardinal later this summer and switched to bedrooms due to presence of the toilet inside the roomette. Its fine for one person but probably a bit awkward with more than one person!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back