What's the best price you ever paid for a viewliner sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meenie

Train Attendant
I went from Charlottesville VA to Lafayette IN (and back) recently and no roomettes were even available (I booked in March for May trip)

LSL, NYP-CHI: Part of a 20,000 point one-way trip out west. Cost: $0.

Ok, that's a bit pithy...I think I once got a good deal on the LSL heading out to Chicago back in 2008 (this was as the recession was bottoming out, and in spite of it being at Christmas), but I don't have the receipt for it.

I once upgraded to sleeper for the City of New Orleans right at the desk in the Metro Lounge in Chicago - cost me $75.

I once upgraded on board for a sleeper on the LSL from Chicago to New York. Cost me about $170 IIRC, though the conductor priced it from the current stop, which was a few stops down the line from Chicago. This was in 2007.

I snagged the family room on the EB this July for $352 for four passengers. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It was for CHI to WGL.

I thought the question was for Viewliner sleepers?

What, no one is going to crow about getting a $49 roomette from Atlanta to New Orleans?
Regardless of the type of car... Superliner, Viewliner, whatever... the MINIMUM onboard sleeper upgrade charge is 50 bucks. So if the unusual situation occurs that

1) you are traveling a relatively short distance,

2) the coaches are packed full over that segment, and

3) the sleepers are relatively empty over same,

your "Y" rate coach fare and "D" rate sleeper charge might be pretty close together. But if the difference is less than $50, the conductor is still supposed to charge you $50.

But the "regular" roomette charge (even before you step aboard) is $49. That fare is NOT for an onboard upgrade!
rolleyes.gif

I managed to get $274 between East Glacier and Minneapolis St. Paul for the Family Bedroom this summer - both ways.

The roomette charge was, iirc, 120. I decided I wanted more room and didnt want to be on different levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back